HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   WakeUp Noise (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=198223)

SteveGG October 1st 17 07:49 PM

WakeUp Noise

About 2 out of 3 times, when waking out of a sleep state over night, I
get several seconds of a sound, like something winding down.

After, everything is normal.

Happens only after an overnight sleep. During any other time, no
sound.

Sounds for all the world like something mechanical, but fans and HD
sound completely normal, under the sound.

Ideas ?

John McGaw October 1st 17 08:46 PM

WakeUp Noise

On 10/1/2017 2:49 PM, SteveGG wrote:
About 2 out of 3 times, when waking out of a sleep state over night, I
get several seconds of a sound, like something winding down.

After, everything is normal.

Happens only after an overnight sleep. During any other time, no
sound.

Sounds for all the world like something mechanical, but fans and HD
sound completely normal, under the sound.

Ideas ?

I'd still give odds that it is one of the fans spinning up -- probably the
bearings.

SteveGG October 2nd 17 12:19 AM

WakeUp Noise

No, it's something clearly spinning down, not to a stop, but about
half way, and again, it's clearly a spinning down or slowing sound.

HD and all mechanicals are very quite after. All temps are normal,
safely below maximum allowable.

Mike S October 2nd 17 08:56 AM

WakeUp Noise

On 10/1/2017 4:19 PM, SteveGG wrote:
No, it's something clearly spinning down, not to a stop, but about
half way, and again, it's clearly a spinning down or slowing sound.

HD and all mechanicals are very quite after. All temps are normal,
safely below maximum allowable.

Can you record it with your phone and upload it somewhere?

SteveGG October 2nd 17 07:32 PM

WakeUp Noise

Don't have anything to record sound. Don't have cell, believe it or
not. No place to post an MPG in any case.

It just occured to me that this might be emanating from the computer
sound system, and might not be something actally mechanical.

Paul[_28_] October 2nd 17 07:50 PM

WakeUp Noise

SteveGG wrote:
Don't have anything to record sound. Don't have cell, believe it or
not. No place to post an MPG in any case.

It just occured to me that this might be emanating from the computer
sound system, and might not be something actally mechanical.

No, it's mechanical. Take the side off and listen.

Paul

SteveGG October 2nd 17 08:27 PM

WakeUp Noise

This desktop is not easily openned. Haven't had it open ever, since
new in mid 2011. Normally, I'd blow out every year, but not this one.

In any case, physically listenning is not a practical option, since
sound is only 2-4 secs., about once every 2-3 power ups, and only
after sleeping over night.

John McGaw October 2nd 17 10:43 PM

WakeUp Noise

On 10/1/2017 7:19 PM, SteveGG wrote:
No, it's something clearly spinning down, not to a stop, but about
half way, and again, it's clearly a spinning down or slowing sound.

HD and all mechanicals are very quite after. All temps are normal,
safely below maximum allowable.

Bearing noise can be very tricky. It is not unusual, in my experience, for
the initial noise to be a higher-pitched squeal which goes down in pitch.
This is especially pronounced for fans which are under BIOS control and
which are started at full power until the system grains enough of its wits
to dial them down. One way to nail this sort of problem down, short of
doing a shotgun replacement of parts, might be to reset the BIOS fan
control to run everything under its control at 100% all the time. If the
squeal continues you will probably have your answer. If not, you've lost
nothing besides a few minutes effort.

SteveGG October 6th 17 12:18 PM

WakeUp Noise

Finally determined that the noise was an access to the CD drive.

In setup ( F2 ) the boot order was 1st - HD, 2nd - CD drive. Set the
CD drive to disabled ( for booting ) and this eliminated the noise !

If I ever need to boot from the CD drive, I can simply reset it in
setup. As is now the CD drive is fine for everything else.

Mike S October 7th 17 03:26 AM

WakeUp Noise

On 10/6/2017 4:18 AM, SteveGG wrote:
Finally determined that the noise was an access to the CD drive.

In setup ( F2 ) the boot order was 1st - HD, 2nd - CD drive. Set the
CD drive to disabled ( for booting ) and this eliminated the noise !

If I ever need to boot from the CD drive, I can simply reset it in
setup. As is now the CD drive is fine for everything else.

Good find. Is there a disk in the CD drive? I've heard noisy disks
before. If no disk is in the drive, I had a friend whose desktop got
slower and slower, we finally found it was the CD drive dying, in case
you see that happening.