HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Android for my Acer Aspire One (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=195796)

Norm X July 5th 15 04:53 AM

Android for my Acer Aspire One

Hi,

This message is X-posted to alt.comp.hardware & comp.mobile.android.

My Acer Aspire One netbook no longer boots. In one case I blame
Microsoft. I used update on my Win7 partition and now, no matter what I
do, I end up with a blue screen. In another case, I messed up the
drivers on the WinXP partition. I had graduated to a faster SDXC card
and I tried to remove an unwanted device driver and I was not careful.
It is the same story for the WinXP partition, blue screen.

My 2008 Acer Aspire One is a nice piece of hardwa three USB ports,
two SD ports, Ethernet, a 600x1024 screen & an Intel Atom CPU. It now
has 1.5 GB RAM installed. It originally came with an 8 GB Intel Z-P230
SSD system drive that was sadly deficient. I have replaced that with a
nominally 32 GB SuperTalent SSD, that is pretty solid. That much storage
allowed me to partition and dual boot WinXP and Win7.

Now that Windows only gives a blue screen, wisdom dictates that I keep
the hardware and throw away Windows. I have a couple of different Linux
that boot from partitions on an external USB HHD, but Linux is not the
answer. Like Windows, I think Android thrives on an internal system drive.

Readers comments on installing Android on my x86 Acer netbook are most
welcome. I know that x86 versions of Android are out there but I am
hoping for some high numbers like KitKat 4.4, or whatever.

Help me please with an ISO URL.

Big_Al[_3_] July 5th 15 12:40 PM

Norm X wrote on 7/4/2015 11:53 PM:
[...]

If you're evaluating Linux (and which one) over a USB connection, that will make it sluggish. I find linux mint 17
cinnamon much like windows and runs great on my laptop. I'm writing in windows 8 now, but I dual boot linux to play a
lot and to keep me up to speed in the off chance I dump windows one day. I have booted Linux and stayed there for days
almost forgetting I was in linux. I kinda like the font they chose over what windows does, easier on my eyes.

Theo Markettos July 5th 15 08:47 PM

Norm X wrote:
Readers comments on installing Android on my x86 Acer netbook are most
welcome. I know that x86 versions of Android are out there but I am
hoping for some high numbers like KitKat 4.4, or whatever.

Modern Android ( 4.0) requires a GPU else things are very very slow. I
don't know what GPU you have, but I imagine the drivers are nonexistent
or terrible.

Android is also not terribly fun without a touchscreen.

It's possibly someone has cooked up a build of Android for your particular
machine, but otherwise I wouldn't expect a smooth experience with a generic
x86 Android.

I'd stick with a lightweight distro of Linux, which is more likely to be
usable on your hardware.

Theo

s|b July 5th 15 08:58 PM

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:53:05 -0700, Norm X wrote:

This message is X-posted to alt.comp.hardware & comp.mobile.android.

Not sure, but I don't think it made it to comp.mobile.android. There's a
space in your Newsreader header.

--
s|b

Richard Kettlewell July 5th 15 09:10 PM

"s|b" writes:
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:53:05 -0700, Norm X wrote:
This message is X-posted to alt.comp.hardware & comp.mobile.android.

Not sure, but I don't think it made it to comp.mobile.android. There's a
space in your Newsreader header.

Looks fine to from here. (The syntax is quite liberal about whitespace)

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Frank Slootweg July 5th 15 09:18 PM

Theo Markettos wrote:
Norm X wrote:
Readers comments on installing Android on my x86 Acer netbook are most
welcome. I know that x86 versions of Android are out there but I am
hoping for some high numbers like KitKat 4.4, or whatever.

Modern Android ( 4.0) requires a GPU else things are very very slow. I
don't know what GPU you have, but I imagine the drivers are nonexistent
or terrible.

Android is also not terribly fun without a touchscreen.

It's possibly someone has cooked up a build of Android for your particular
machine, but otherwise I wouldn't expect a smooth experience with a generic
x86 Android.

I'd stick with a lightweight distro of Linux, which is more likely to be
usable on your hardware.

Exactly! Norm X's Acer Aspire One (AAO) probably came with such a
lightweight distro of Linux, namely 'Linpus', a (Red Hat) Fedora
derivative, at least that's what my AAO had. It 'even' came with a
re-install CD. The AAO doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, but it shouldn't be
too hard to convert the CD to a bootable image on a USB memory-stick.

Anyway, Android sucks, there's no reason to infest a perfectly good
netbook with it! :-)

Frank Slootweg July 5th 15 09:25 PM

Richard Kettlewell wrote:
"s|b" writes:
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:53:05 -0700, Norm X wrote:
This message is X-posted to alt.comp.hardware & comp.mobile.android.

Not sure, but I don't think it made it to comp.mobile.android. There's a
space in your Newsreader header.

Looks fine to from here. (The syntax is quite liberal about whitespace)

No the syntax is *not* quite liberal. It's only that many News servers
or/and newsreaders are 'liberal' about accepting/processing crap from
non-compliant newsreaders. But to be fair, we can't expect them to
already get it after only three-plus decades, can we!? :-(

s|b July 5th 15 09:27 PM

On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 21:10:51 +0100, Richard Kettlewell wrote:

Looks fine to from here. (The syntax is quite liberal about whitespace)

Learned something new today! :-)

--
s|b

Ben Bacarisse[_2_] July 5th 15 09:39 PM

Frank Slootweg writes:

Theo Markettos wrote:
Norm X wrote:
Readers comments on installing Android on my x86 Acer netbook are most
welcome. I know that x86 versions of Android are out there but I am
hoping for some high numbers like KitKat 4.4, or whatever.

snip
I'd stick with a lightweight distro of Linux, which is more likely to be
usable on your hardware.

Exactly! Norm X's Acer Aspire One (AAO) probably came with such a
lightweight distro of Linux, namely 'Linpus', a (Red Hat) Fedora
derivative, at least that's what my AAO had.

The OP might also consider antiX. I found it worked very well on a
small Atom-based system with internal SD flash drive.

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

snip
--
Ben.

Richard Kettlewell July 5th 15 10:02 PM

Frank Slootweg writes:
Richard Kettlewell wrote:
"s|b" writes:
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:53:05 -0700, Norm X wrote:
This message is X-posted to alt.comp.hardware & comp.mobile.android.

Not sure, but I don't think it made it to comp.mobile.android. There's a
space in your Newsreader header.

Looks fine to from here. (The syntax is quite liberal about
whitespace)

No the syntax is *not* quite liberal. It's only that many News servers
or/and newsreaders are 'liberal' about accepting/processing crap from
non-compliant newsreaders. But to be fair, we can't expect them to
already get it after only three-plus decades, can we!? :-(

What did you have in mind?

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/