HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Coexistence 56 K analog modem / ISDN modem (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=102208)

H.Henkler July 16th 05 05:05 PM

Coexistence 56 K analog modem / ISDN modem

Hello,

my new PC (Windows XP) contains a 56 k internal PCI card modem. It works fine. No
Problem.
Trying to make the PC fit for ISDN communication I installed an additional ISDN PCI
card.
Now, I have problems getting conected via the 56 k analog modem.
Is it possible to have both cards installed and use them alternately depending on the
type of line?
Or do I have to remove one or the other?

Herb

Gerard Bok July 17th 05 02:28 PM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:05:50 +0200, "H.Henkler"
wrote:

my new PC (Windows XP) contains a 56 k internal PCI card modem. It works fine. No
Problem.
Trying to make the PC fit for ISDN communication I installed an additional ISDN PCI
card.
Now, I have problems getting conected via the 56 k analog modem.
Is it possible to have both cards installed and use them alternately depending on the
type of line?

There's nothing basically wrong with having both POTS and ISDN
adapters in the same system.
(On a laptop you even have PC-Cards that support both :-)

What could be happening:
If you install an ISDN card, the installer software asumes that
you will be running from ISDN. (Mostly the reason to install an
ISDN card :-)

If the installer software modifies your connection data to use
the ISDN card for default internet access it is no wonder if you
observe problems using your modem afterwards.

You probably have to create 2 different dial-in profiles and run
the internet connection wizard after switching connection type.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Mike Walsh July 17th 05 03:30 PM

There is not a problem using different devices for different purposes, e.g. I use a dial-up modem for FAX, and DSL for internet access. Using both devices for internet access could involve conflicts in binding with your TCP/IP port.

"H.Henkler" wrote:

Hello,

my new PC (Windows XP) contains a 56 k internal PCI card modem. It works fine. No
Problem.
Trying to make the PC fit for ISDN communication I installed an additional ISDN PCI
card.
Now, I have problems getting conected via the 56 k analog modem.
Is it possible to have both cards installed and use them alternately depending on the
type of line?
Or do I have to remove one or the other?

Herb

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

H.Henkler July 18th 05 07:56 AM

Thank you, Mike.
The analog modem connection is working fine again.
Herb

"

H.Henkler July 18th 05 07:58 AM

Thanks Gerard,
the analog modem connection works fine again. Didnīt have a chance for testing ISDN,
though.
Herb