HardwareBanter

-   Storage (alternative) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Need a box for SATA hard drives (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=159084)

just bob October 24th 07 09:52 PM

Need a box for SATA hard drives

I've been putting single drives in a USB or firewaire unit for a long time.
These boxes are cheap, like $30, right? So I want to find me a box I can
stick four disks in for say $100.

Do you have any suggestions for vendors?

If I didn't build it myself.... I've been looking at the Buffalo Quattro
External TB unit at $800 But I should be able to build my own for less. Do
you agree?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

just bob October 25th 07 12:24 AM

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
"just bob" wrote:
I've been putting single drives in a USB or firewaire unit for a long
time. These boxes are cheap, like $30, right? So I want to find me a box
I can stick four disks in for say $100.

Do you have any suggestions for vendors?

If I didn't build it myself.... I've been looking at the Buffalo Quattro
External TB unit at $800 But I should be able to build my own for less.
Do you agree?

If you'll settle for three 3.5" SATA hard drives instead of four,
Kingwin makes a 3-HD unit that includes (2) 40mm x 40mm cooling
fans, with power presumably from the PC's power supply:
http://kingwin.com/product_pages/kf3000-bk.asp
PriceWatch.com sees them going for $75 plus shipping:
http://castle.pricewatch.com/s/searc...win+kf-3000-bk

Thanks Tim. Very interesting device. But I need an external device.

Rod Speed October 25th 07 02:40 AM

just bob kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote:

I've been putting single drives in a USB or firewaire unit for a long time. These boxes are cheap, like $30, right? So
I want to find me a box I can stick four disks in for say $100.

Do you have any suggestions for vendors?

Nope, I just use what turns up on ebay etc.

If I didn't build it myself.... I've been looking at the Buffalo Quattro External TB unit at $800 But I should be
able to build my own for less. Do you agree?

Yes, but the dedicated boxes with say an
esata connection cost a lot less than that.

Building your own does give you a lot more flexibility
tho and doesnt necessarily cost much if anything if
you use obsolete hardware that isnt going to be used.

just bob November 7th 07 06:05 PM

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
just bob kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote:

I've been putting single drives in a USB or firewaire unit for a long
time. These boxes are cheap, like $30, right? So I want to find me a box
I can stick four disks in for say $100.

Do you have any suggestions for vendors?

Nope, I just use what turns up on ebay etc.

If I didn't build it myself.... I've been looking at the Buffalo Quattro
External TB unit at $800 But I should be able to build my own for less.
Do you agree?

Yes, but the dedicated boxes with say an
esata connection cost a lot less than that.

Building your own does give you a lot more flexibility
tho and doesnt necessarily cost much if anything if
you use obsolete hardware that isnt going to be used.

Good ideas. Unfortunately my current laptops have only USB and firewire
connections. I could get an esata PCMCIA card but I've not had good luck
with USB2 and firewire PCMCIA cards so I'm reluctant to try one.