HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Problems with AOLconnecting to internet (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=6170)

Midnight Moocher September 11th 04 12:59 PM

Problems with AOLconnecting to internet

Yesterday I went over a friends to have a look at his troublesome laptop.
It turned out the OS had gone to pot. Problems whilst using the internet, not
being able to access CDs in the CD drive, and all sorts of things.

It was their wish to back up some files and re-install the OS.
I reformatted the hard drive and then reinstalled the OS (Win XP Home) so
it was completely fresh.

The first thing I installed was their new Norton Antivirus 2005 program.
I then tried installing AOL 9.0. This is where the problems began.

After installation, AOL was refusing to connect to the internet due to a DNS
problem. It suggested a possible reason was that a Norton product with a firewall
may be preventing AOL access.

As far as I know Norton Antivirus has no Firewall built in so I thought it can't be that.
I wondered if WindowsXP Firewall was causing the problem. I couldn't find the option
to turn it off, but then I remembered that it's turned off by default anyway
(unless Crit. Upt. 2 installed), so it can't be that. No other software has been installed
at this point.

Any suggestions?