windows media player

Old March 27th 05, 09:19 PM
kendra

Default windows media player

I got a new pc from dell and windows media player just won't play anything
and tells me there is an error and needs to close asking me to send a report
to microsoft. Whether I agree or not, it closes. A similar problem occurs
with other players and I'm wondering what to do?
thanx for your advice
kendra

Old March 27th 05, 09:21 PM
Dan Sgambelluri

once was enough, three times is too many

respond to the questions that were asked

Old March 28th 05, 06:57 AM
kendra

"Dan Sgambelluri" wrote in message
once was enough, three times is too many

respond to the questions that were asked

I'm sorry for reposting. I still can't see my original post! and that wasn't
the case in my previous pc. Seems there are more teething problems with dell
kendra

Old March 28th 05, 04:39 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"kendra" wrote:

"Dan Sgambelluri" wrote

once was enough, three times is too many

respond to the questions that were asked

I'm sorry for reposting. I still can't see my original post! and that wasn't
the case in my previous pc. Seems there are more teething problems with dell

Erm, not really; that particular problem would be with your news
service provider. Besides myself, who saw but did not respond to
your original post, there were at least five others, whom I will
presume since they are posting in a Dell group are using Dells
also, who saw and responded to your first post. And you even
responded to one of them in that thread.

Staying out of the media player debate in general, they are as a
family probably the single application that most people use that
have the most demanding configuration setup. Just in
getting/keeping the Windows file associations for your audio and
visual media files correct can be a PITA at times, particularly
if you have multiple media players [e.g., WMP [9, 10, or
whatever], RealPlayer, QuickTime], each of which wants to be the
one you use for all media, and will snatch those Windows file
associations up in a heartbeat.

You need to RTFM, particularly if you are a newbie/less
experienced in the audio-visual media player jungle. IME, all of
the media proggies I have installed for trial/use have been well
behaved [aside from trying to snatch all media file associations
away from their currently assigned apps] and operated fine in the
default configuration. But I have always looked at that default
configuration - even if I didn't know what half of the stuff
meant. I can always look something up if it has me scratching my
head saying WITH is *this* all about. If I haven't looked at the
default configuration, I deserve everything that can happen to me
if something in there is set wrong.

You should not be experiencing the problems you are with WMP.
And it is not because of your computer model, or your flavor of
the Win OS. The WMP 9 original to my Dell, and the WMP 10
upgrade [dumb, but harmless move - I liked the look and feel of 9
better, and don't do anything that 9 wouldn't handle] have
installed and operated trouble-free on a D4400 operating XP Pro,
then XPP SP1 then XPP SP2 in turn. As have any and all other
media apps I have installed for trial or use.
--
OJ III