When will the first "10 GHz" cpu be made available to the end user?

Old January 19th 05, 04:14 PM
TripleEight

Default When will the first "10 GHz" cpu be made available to the end user?

Everyone take a gamble!

I say in 2007 January.
Old January 19th 05, 04:24 PM
Susan Sontag in Hell

Next Tuesday.

Old January 19th 05, 04:33 PM
TripleEight

"Susan Sontag in Hell" wrote in message
| Next Tuesday.

That's cool! Could you tell me where I can get this AMD 10GHz processor?

Also tell me which motherbaords would be the best! ; )

Old January 19th 05, 05:28 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:14:25 +0000, TripleEight wrote:

Everyone take a gamble!

I say in 2007 January.

I'l say 2010, but I really think it'll be a lot longer than that. Wonder
why both amd an iintel are working on dual core cpu's.:-)

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

Old January 19th 05, 06:29 PM
Ed Koan

TripleEight wrote:
Everyone take a gamble!

I say in 2007 January.

I say never. There's little to no point at all ramping frequency up.
The future is multiple core on chip and tricks like that.
Look at AMD. It's 2 years they work at 2GHz with different cpus. But
AMD64 is way faster than K7, even if their frequency is the same.

Remember: 10GHZ means the light will travel for 3cm, slightly more than
1". So you need several clock cycles before the signal moves on from the
cpu to main memory. Your cpu will sit idle waiting for data.
Old January 19th 05, 06:40 PM
TripleEight

"Ed Koan" wrote in message
| TripleEight wrote:
| Everyone take a gamble!
|
| I say in 2007 January.
|
| I say never. There's little to no point at all ramping frequency up.
| The future is multiple core on chip and tricks like that.
| Look at AMD. It's 2 years they work at 2GHz with different cpus. But
| AMD64 is way faster than K7, even if their frequency is the same.
|
| Remember: 10GHZ means the light will travel for 3cm, slightly more than
| 1". So you need several clock cycles before the signal moves on from the
| cpu to main memory. Your cpu will sit idle waiting for data.

This leads lead to another question.

Will there ever be a limit? I always had thought there would!

Old January 19th 05, 06:47 PM
Ed Koan

TripleEight wrote:
"Ed Koan" wrote in message
| TripleEight wrote:
| Everyone take a gamble!
|
| I say in 2007 January.
|
| I say never. There's little to no point at all ramping frequency up.
| The future is multiple core on chip and tricks like that.
| Look at AMD. It's 2 years they work at 2GHz with different cpus. But
| AMD64 is way faster than K7, even if their frequency is the same.
|
| Remember: 10GHZ means the light will travel for 3cm, slightly more than
| 1". So you need several clock cycles before the signal moves on from the
| cpu to main memory. Your cpu will sit idle waiting for data.

This leads lead to another question.

Will there ever be a limit? I always had thought there would!

Well, you have some limits. Speed of light, for instance. Or limits due
to Heisenberg's principle. Or even better in this case, size of an atom.
The latter means you won't be able to create a circuit smaller than an
atom (forget quantum computing, which is nice for writing SF stories).

But if you start thinking just about the current situation, the
bottleneck isn't cpu anymore. It's the I/O, i.e memory access. In real
life DDR400 is not almost twice as fast as DDR266, say.
What next? I don't know. But I doubt the speed of the *whole* pc will
double every 18 months in the near future.
Old January 19th 05, 09:22 PM
Mitch Crane

"TripleEight" wrote in
:

Everyone take a gamble!

I say in 2007 January.

Correct. And it will be a 1361-bit processor. Your video card will be the
size of a small RV and will require a dedicated 3 phase power input. Hard
drives will be solid state holographic crystal devices and we will drive
flying cars.

Oh, and Generalissimo Francisco Franco will still be dead.

Old January 20th 05, 03:45 AM
Carlo Razzeto

"TripleEight" wrote in message
Everyone take a gamble!

I say in 2007 January.

Quantum Computers are the wave of the future

http://www.qubit.org/library/intros/comp/comp.html