Is 143 degrees(F) considered too hot for an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2GHz 512KB Socket 754 CPU?

Old January 11th 05, 01:06 AM

Default Is 143 degrees(F) considered too hot for an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2GHz 512KB Socket 754 CPU?

Hello!

Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
degrees(F) ASUS A7V333 motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt (primary box).
I wonder if the current fans are not enough.

Thank you in advance.
--
"We are closer to the ants than to butterflies. Very few people can endure much leisure." --Gerald Brenan
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Old January 11th 05, 01:27 AM
Dee

Hello!

Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
degrees(F) ASUS A7V333 motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt (primary box).
I wonder if the current fans are not enough.

Thank you in advance.

Based on my experience, I would say that is W A A A Y too high! Mine
typically runs about 31-32 (88-90F) degrees Celsius, 40-45 (104-113F)
under heavy CPU load. 143 F is about 62 C.

Make sure your heat sink & fan (HST) are properly mounted with the
correct amount of thermal conductive compound, not too much, just enough.

Old January 11th 05, 01:32 AM
Dee

Hello!

Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
degrees(F) ASUS A7V333 motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt (primary box).
I wonder if the current fans are not enough.

Thank you in advance.

How did you manage to mount a 754 pin Athlon 64 in a Socket A board?

Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

Old January 11th 05, 02:25 AM

Dee wrote:
wrote:

Hello!

Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
degrees(F) ASUS A7V333 motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt (primary box).
I wonder if the current fans are not enough.

Thank you in advance.

Based on my experience, I would say that is W A A A Y too high! Mine
typically runs about 31-32 (88-90F) degrees Celsius, 40-45 (104-113F)
under heavy CPU load. 143 F is about 62 C.

Make sure your heat sink & fan (HST) are properly mounted with the
correct amount of thermal conductive compound, not too much, just enough.

OK, this is when I am gaming and something intensive. I guess I better go
fix this up. I wondering why DOOM 3 and Half-Life 2 crashes. Even HL2
gives me blue screens!
Old January 11th 05, 02:36 AM

Dee wrote:
wrote:

Hello!

Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
degrees(F) ASUS A7V333 motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt (primary box).
I wonder if the current fans are not enough.

Thank you in advance.

How did you manage to mount a 754 pin Athlon 64 in a Socket A board?

DOH! My bad. I meant to say ASUS K8V SE Deluxe (VIA K8T800 Socket 754 ATX).
I was thinking of my old computer. Sorry! Good catch though.
Old January 11th 05, 02:55 PM
Vermyndax

Hello!

Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
degrees(F) ASUS A7V333 motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt (primary box).
I wonder if the current fans are not enough.

Thank you in advance.

That's a wee bit warm. Although my environment temp is 72-73'F, and I
have an Athlon 64 3500+... typical heat is 104'F on processor, ambient
about 99'F inside case. If I overclock the processor, I've seen it get
as high as 143'F under normal load, 167'F under duress.

--JM
Old January 12th 05, 01:16 PM
Peter van der Goes

wrote in message
Hello!

Is this temperature considered too hot for a 80 degrees(F) room and 100+
degrees(F) ASUS A7V333 motherboard's temperature sensor? It is in a
mid-tower ATX PC case. You can read the full computer specifications at
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt (primary box).
I wonder if the current fans are not enough.

Thank you in advance.
--
"We are closer to the ants than to butterflies. Very few people can endure
much leisure." --Gerald Brenan
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )

Way too hot IMHO.
Case temp of almost 40C? (BTW, the convention is to report/discuss temps in
C, not F). I realize the room is warm, but proper case configuration and
cooling should reduce that to within 10F of the room temp.
You also need to look at HSF installation/operation, as your CPU temp is
high even in relation to your current case temp.
Post details of your configuration (fan types and placement, etc.) for more
suggestions.

Old January 13th 05, 12:07 AM

Peter van der Goes wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

My fans are listed in the URL shown in my original post. Last night, it
was about 70 degrees(F) and CPU was about 129. I will have to fix this.
I wasn't even gaming either. Gaming causes the crashes (e.g., blue
screens).

Note, I didn't build this computer so I don't know how the fans are
placed.
Old January 13th 05, 12:23 AM
Dee

If you're going to post again, give your temperatures in Celsius - not
Fahrenheit!!!

Old January 13th 05, 03:25 PM
Peter van der Goes

wrote in message
Peter van der Goes wrote:

My fans are listed in the URL shown in my original post. Last night, it
was about 70 degrees(F) and CPU was about 129. I will have to fix this.
I wasn't even gaming either. Gaming causes the crashes (e.g., blue
screens).

Note, I didn't build this computer so I don't know how the fans are
placed.
--
"We are closer to the ants than to butterflies. Very few people can endure
much leisure." --Gerald Brenan
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )

A couple of things:
Many people don't just click on any link provided by an unknown source for
many valid reasons.
The description you reference mentions:
quote
....two 80 mm case fans, a 3 fan HDD Peeze cooler,...
/quote
Not knowing where the fans are, or how they are configured, this tells me
nothing about the cooling system design. Improperly placed fans, or fans
moving air in the wrong direction can actually create higher temperatures in
your PC.
Typically, case fans are installed to draw cool air in at the lower front
and exhaust hot air at the rear back
My personal experience is that exhausting hot air from around the CPU area
is critically important.
Can you open the case and see where the fans are and in what direction they
are moving air?

For comparison to your situation...
I have several computers here configured in a LAN in the house. Most use
Athlon XP processors running at xp 3200+ speeds. The typical temperatures I
see are as follows: Room temperatu 21C. Case temperatu 23 - 28C. CPU
temperatu 38 - 44C.
I use full tower cases that mount either 2 80mm exhaust fans at the back,
just below the PSU or one 120mm exhaust fan, and one 80mm intake at the
front. On the athlon XP's I use Vantec VA4-C7040 HSF's. I replaced the
motherboard in one of these PC's recently with an Asus A8V and A64 3200+
with retail HSF. It runs cooler than the A7 XP's.

You mention that you did not build the computer. If you purchased it, then
approach the seller about the obvious cooling issues and unreliability. I
assume that you did not purchase it "as is"?