motherboard problem?

Old January 10th 05, 05:33 PM
sixkiller

Default motherboard problem?

i've got a computer that upon starting it up i get a message saying "no
operating system found" ... and no harddrive shows up in my computer..

yet when i plug the hard-drive into another computer..it sees the hard-drive
and operating system installed..

is the problem in my motherboard?...if so..what?...and what should i do?

please reply direct

thankyou very much in advance...

Old January 10th 05, 05:41 PM
Dee

sixkiller wrote:

i've got a computer that upon starting it up i get a message saying "no
operating system found" ... and no harddrive shows up in my computer..

yet when i plug the hard-drive into another computer..it sees the hard-drive
and operating system installed..

is the problem in my motherboard?...if so..what?...and what should i do?

please reply direct

thankyou very much in advance...

Try a new data cable, the 40-pin one.

Old January 10th 05, 05:43 PM
Dee

sixkiller wrote:

i've got a computer that upon starting it up i get a message saying "no
operating system found" ... and no harddrive shows up in my computer..

yet when i plug the hard-drive into another computer..it sees the hard-drive
and operating system installed..

is the problem in my motherboard?...if so..what?...and what should i do?

please reply direct

thankyou very much in advance...

Try a new 40-pin data cable.

Old January 10th 05, 05:45 PM
Andreas Ludwig

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:33:13 -0000, sixkiller wrote:

i've got a computer that upon starting it up i get a message saying "no
operating system found" ... and no harddrive shows up in my computer..

yet when i plug the hard-drive into another computer..it sees the hard-drive
and operating system installed..

is the problem in my motherboard?...if so..what?...and what should i do?

HAve you disabled the ata or sata controller in the motherboard bios? Are the
drives too large (what size?) what board? More details please.

Best
Andreas

--

Andreas Ludwig
directly from Vienna

Old January 10th 05, 07:17 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:33:13 +0000, sixkiller wrote:

i've got a computer that upon starting it up i get a message saying "no
operating system found" ... and no harddrive shows up in my computer..

yet when i plug the hard-drive into another computer..it sees the
hard-drive and operating system installed..

is the problem in my motherboard?...if so..what?...and what should i do?

You don't provide enough info for anyone to give you a proper diagnosis.
At a minumum, what HD model, and what MB model.

Old January 10th 05, 08:10 PM
String

Need more info:
What Mainboard?
New drive installed ? or a current drive just going bad?
Did you add any other IDE drives such as a CD before it went.
Did you just change OS
Did you have a power spike
Do you have a super cheap 600w power supply.

newsan.2005.01.10.19.20.54.280236@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old January 10th 05, 10:25 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:10:14 +0000, String wrote:

Did you have a power spike
Do you have a super cheap 600w power supply.

Funny you should ask. As a matter of fact I had several bad ones last
night. Power went off and on up to about 10 times real fast and then
stayed off for about 10 minutes. No problem though. System still running
fine as you can see from this message. I have a 600W PSU, but it's not
cheap. It cost me $24 almost a year ago now. And that's really the truth.
If you don't believe it, call the Walmart in Wylie TX which is within site
of my house, They lost power too. Just in case someone wants proof of my
power failure.:-)

Old January 10th 05, 11:41 PM
String

TX where the weather is always nice, it was -12 here yesterday. My spouse
and I were there on a job offer from a tech company we stayed at a hotel not
far from the home of the then retired GB the older, according to the bell
hop. The offer was financially generous but I refused to move from my
family. I never heard so much Spanish outside Spain, we are used to French.

$24 dollars and you think that's not cheap, say no more. Glad you got lucky.
What would you think the quality of a car would be brand new $5000 competing
with BMW Camary Malibu Civic or any car. Can you really make a good quality
car for 5000$ advertising 200HP would you buy or recommend it. You could
make one if you placed a fake car body over a lawn tractor then fudged the
power ratings to sell as a 200HP car. (AKA 600w PS) "make it cheap inside
and label it too good to be true outside they will come" Just have to look
the same as all the rest on the outside. Just like those 8$ 120w speakers
(2w laugh) There is no regulation on how power supplies makers advertise
wattage ratings to consumers. Keep in mind that with power supplies ALL come
from countries with 1$ a day labour. I have seen systems with too many power
demanding items used on cheap power supplies and sometimes the HDs don't
want to boot until you disconnect one or two drives. I had to replace 9 of
28 PS at a cybercafe last just week after an ice storm all were cheap 500w 2
ounce crap with exploded caps. They now have Enermax 365w and will last till
decommissioned BUT he would not listen and have all others replaced because
his buddy who did the assembly job (hospital) suggested his 500w junk PS
units were good and the cafe just had bad luck, pay me now or pay me later.
I suspect we soon will have that contract for good.

Good luck with those top of the line quality $24 power supplies, some people
do.

newsan.2005.01.10.22.29.07.512193@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old January 11th 05, 10:08 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:15:46 +0000, Big Tex wrote:

Wes Newell wrote...
It cost me $24 almost a year ago now. And that's really the truth. If
you don't believe it, call the Walmart in Wylie TX which is within site
of my house, They lost power too. Just in case someone wants proof of my
power failure.:-)

I called the one on Hwy 78, Tommy said you're a liar. Tommy said the way
to tell a Texan is lyin' is to watch his lips, if they're movin', they're
lyin'.

I don't know who Tommy is, but he either wasn't there or he's a liar.
Check with TXU. Everything was out in the whole area.

Old January 11th 05, 09:50 PM
fb

sixkiller wrote:
i've got a computer that upon starting it up i get a message saying "no
operating system found" ... and no harddrive shows up in my computer..

yet when i plug the hard-drive into another computer..it sees the hard-drive
and operating system installed..

is the problem in my motherboard?...if so..what?...and what should i do?

please reply direct

thankyou very much in advance...

Could be the ide controller on the motherboard. I had one fail recently
and had to replace the mb.

fb