Asus A8V Deluxe Fan Speed Monitor

Old January 4th 05, 12:25 AM
Peter van der Goes

Default Asus A8V Deluxe Fan Speed Monitor

I've been running this board for about a week now. From the beginning, the
fan speeds were ~ 3000 for the stock AMD HSF and ~ 3600 for the case intake.
All was well. Today when I booted up, I got a verbal warning that the "CPU
fan fail". Checking the fan physically revealed it to be working as always
(noise the same as before, so I believe the actual speed to be unchanged).
I should also say that the CPU and case temperatures remain the same as
before the fan speed "change", 31C CPU and 23C case as I type this. FWIW,
Cool 'n' Quiet remains disabled in the BIOS.
Checking in the BIOS revealed that both fans were showing half their
previous speed (now ~1485 for the CPU fan and ~1800 for the intake fan) and
that the CPU fan speed is in red, indicating a problem. I'm guessing the
threshold is 1500 RPM?
I've temporarily disabled monitoring of the CPU fan so as not to get the
"press F1 to continue" each time I boot.
I have reflashed the 1009 BIOS on the off-chance something was a bit off,
and reverted to defaults to eliminate the possibility that I set something
incorrectly. The warning is still there unless I disable the monitor.
Having searched through the BIOS settings and the motherboard manual for any
way that I could have caused the change, or any way to rectify the
situation, I've found nothing.
Anybody know what's going on and how I can get the correct readings back?
TIA!

Old January 4th 05, 01:46 PM
Peter van der Goes

"RonK" wrote in message
. ..
Forgot to add - It's under Power, Hardware Monitor - Q-Fan Control.

"RonK" wrote in message
.. .
Besides Cool and Quiet, there is another setting in bios to control the
cpu fan and case fan.

Yes, and Q-Fan is disabled by default. I had not changed the Q-Fan setting
when the described symptoms appeared. I have now tried making adjustments to
the Q-Fan settings to see if they would affect the detected fan RPM, but
they make no difference.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Old January 4th 05, 07:54 PM
Peter van der Goes

[...]

snip

Thread closed, but still a mystery.
Started the PC this morning and fan speed sensor readings were back to
normal?!?
Think I'll leave it alone (settings) and just use it for a while

Old January 28th 05, 11:44 PM
fasteddy

[...]

Hey Peter
I've had this too... it reverted to normal on the next boot!?
No explanation for it?
Weird...
Cheers
Eddy

Old January 29th 05, 01:01 AM
Peter van der Goes

"fasteddy" wrote in message

Hey Peter
I've had this too... it reverted to normal on the next boot!?
No explanation for it?
Weird...
Cheers
Eddy

I've not seen it since that one time. Keeping my fingers crossed

Old January 30th 05, 05:07 PM
Sune H.

"fasteddy" wrote in message

Hey Peter
I've had this too... it reverted to normal on the next boot!?
No explanation for it?
Weird...
Cheers
Eddy

I've not seen it since that one time. Keeping my fingers crossed

I've got that message a few times, think it relates to my Zalman 7700 cooler
running low RPM. Maybe the bios see this as a cooler problem.

Old January 30th 05, 05:42 PM
Peter van der Goes

"Sune H." wrote in message

I've got that message a few times, think it relates to my Zalman 7700
cooler running low RPM. Maybe the bios see this as a cooler problem.

Different problem. This was the fan sensors reading the fan RPM at exactly
half the actual RPM, not an actual slow fan. As Eddy said, it corrected
itself after a reboot and has not resurfaced.

Old February 28th 05, 09:42 AM
Highlandish

Qoth The Raven "fasteddy"
in
[...]

check out the points of where the cpu fan is plugged into, one is a chassis,
another is the power, and to the side of the cpu is the cpu fan plug where
it is monitored from.

--
Great minds think alike, and steal the same taglines.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me