Fans etc.

Old January 3rd 05, 09:08 AM
Bonj

Default Fans etc.

Hello
I have ordered a AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 1.8GHz chip and an Elite K8M800-M2 Skt
754 motherboard for it, with the intention of building up a 64-bit machine
for general stuff like games, programming etc. I've also ordered a fairly
cheap (but powerful - 500W) power supply off ebuyer for it.

Apparently the chip comes with a heatsink and fan. The power supply is the
cheapest 500W one on ebuyer, but it comes with "dual fans".

Question really, is does anybody reckon I should have any worries about this
configuration, and should I be thinking about getting any extra fans/cooling
systems etc.? If so what sort, where to put them, etc.?

Old January 3rd 05, 12:26 PM
String

If you buy Cheap you buy twice!
A fool and his money!
You get what you pay for!

ESC is now 100% PC-Chips (someone has to be at the bottom)
Cheap power supplies are a BIG no no and most likely will cause problems you
blame on everything else.
If power supplies were cars your cheap 500w would be a Yugo I have a Enermax
365w if a car a BMW5, so we load them both with 4 people and luggage head on
round trip coast to coast full throttle. What car will make it without
needing new piston rods or burning oil?

Remember how they used to advertise those little speakers at 120w (3w) or
200w for 12$

Old January 3rd 05, 12:44 PM
Bonj

I was more specifically asking about fans, but since you mention it what
make of power supply would you recommend?

I've had two cheap power supplies in about 3 years on my 32-bit board, so
why should the equivalent higher-power one go wrong any more on a 64-bit
board?

I'm more concerned about whether it's likely to be stable - not whether it
will go wrong *someday*, because I think any power supply will go wrong
*someday*.

Old January 3rd 05, 01:29 PM

"Bonj" wrote in message ...
Hello
I have ordered a AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 1.8GHz chip and an Elite K8M800-M2
Skt 754 motherboard for it, with the intention of building up a 64-bit
machine for general stuff like games, programming etc. I've also ordered
a fairly cheap (but powerful - 500W) power supply off ebuyer for it.

Apparently the chip comes with a heatsink and fan. The power supply is
the cheapest 500W one on ebuyer, but it comes with "dual fans".

Question really, is does anybody reckon I should have any worries about
this configuration, and should I be thinking about getting any extra
fans/cooling systems etc.? If so what sort, where to put them, etc.?

Read dozens of thread [s] in this group on PSU's, to get you started
here are just two.

- here is a quote from Wes Newell :

"When I first got my AMD 64 3000+ I couldn't get it to stay boot
sometimes. and other times it would crash during post, etc during the
first minute. I had a 400W PSU.

I ordered 3 more, 500, 550, and 600W. All 3 ran the systemfine. The
400W still powers my XP system just fine. So yes, you need good power.
The 500W was $15, the 550 $18, and the 600 was $24. Yeah, I'm a cheap
sob.:-)

- here is a quote to Craig Coope from AMD :

"Dear Mr. Coope,

Thank you for your interest in the AMD range of products. A 340 W
Power Supply is definitely not sufficient for your system. You should
change it in any case, therefore I suggest you to take 450 W or above,
to be sure you not only have enough now but as well a little reserve
for any eventual future upgrades.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact
me again.

Best regards,

David Boizard

European Technical Services Centre
www.amd.com/eurosupport

France: 0800 908 621 (numéro vert)
Germany: +49 89 450 53199
Italy: 800 877 224
United Kingdom: +44 1276 803 299"

Loads of info in here M8
Old January 3rd 05, 04:05 PM
Mac Cool

Bonj:
Question really, is does anybody reckon I should have any worries
about this configuration

Cheap power supplies can cause problems that are very difficult to
diagnose.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=270007
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=241132

budget version:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=241757
--
Mac Cool

Old January 3rd 05, 04:26 PM
Bonj

Why are you posting this apparent spam, unless you are affiliated with the
makers of the power supplies?

Bonj:

Old January 3rd 05, 04:55 PM
jacoby

I would not anticipate any additional cooling solutions. See how it performs
with what you got an go from there.

Old January 3rd 05, 05:14 PM
Paul Busby

Thus spake Bonj:
Hello
I have ordered a AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 1.8GHz chip and an Elite
K8M800-M2 Skt 754 motherboard for it, with the intention of building
up a 64-bit machine for general stuff like games, programming etc.
I've also ordered a fairly cheap (but powerful - 500W) power supply
off ebuyer for it.
Apparently the chip comes with a heatsink and fan. The power supply
is the cheapest 500W one on ebuyer, but it comes with "dual fans".

Question really, is does anybody reckon I should have any worries
about this configuration, and should I be thinking about getting any
extra fans/cooling systems etc.? If so what sort, where to put them,
etc.?

Wouldn't it be better to ask advice /before/ purchase rather than seeking
agreement afterwards? Case fans can easily be added as required (ie, if
reported temps are higher than expected/desired or if the temps drop with
the side panel off). As for PSUs, you may have got away with cheap & nasty
ones in the past but modern CPUs are more demanding as are video cards.
Cheap PSUs nearly always have far lower capacity than advertised. AMD
publish a list of tested PSUs, it's not definitive but a guide to who makes
some decent ones. Some ECS m/bs have been very popular & stable, possibly
more by luck than judgement. Cheap m/bs equal cheap caps, poor PSU
regulation & cut corners, even /less/ support than from the likes of Asus.

If I can't afford decent kit, I simply wait until I can, that way I have
more chance of stability & less need to upgrade sooner rather than later.
Whatever, good luck with your build. As for RAM, be careful with what you
fit if you want to run it at 200MHz. The moral being research to avoid
problems rather doing so to fix them

Old January 3rd 05, 06:35 PM
Bonj

It's not so much the size of the PSU but the quality, just look at the
PSU spec and compare, a lot of el-cheapo PSUs create line noise that can
actually cause ram errors beside other problems. I'd take a 350W/380W
Antec PSU over any no-name 450W+ PSU.

Is it just a case of "you get what you pay for" or are certain makes
reputable and others not? Got a link for that one you would recommend, or
how much would I expect to spend on it?