How do u install a SATA HD on a AMD 64 bit MB

Old December 22nd 04, 04:04 AM
mjrwingnut

Default How do u install a SATA HD on a AMD 64 bit MB

I have a AMD 64bit MB K8V SE Deluxe MB. I am trying to figure out what
the hell I am doing wrong. I seem to get no help from ASUS support. Has
anyone else successfully installed a new SATA drive? I don't want a
RAID system I want it to replace my current ATA 133 HD.

Please email me with any tips

Thanks in advance

Old December 22nd 04, 01:35 PM
Iain Dingsdale

"mjrwingnut" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a AMD 64bit MB K8V SE Deluxe MB. I am trying to figure out what
the hell I am doing wrong. I seem to get no help from ASUS support. Has
anyone else successfully installed a new SATA drive? I don't want a
RAID system I want it to replace my current ATA 133 HD.

You need to provide more details, what have you done, what is happening that
isnt to your liking etc?

Old December 22nd 04, 01:55 PM
Dee

mjrwingnut wrote:
I have a AMD 64bit MB K8V SE Deluxe MB. I am trying to figure out what
the hell I am doing wrong. I seem to get no help from ASUS support. Has
anyone else successfully installed a new SATA drive? I don't want a
RAID system I want it to replace my current ATA 133 HD.

Please email me with any tips

Thanks in advance

Do you have the 64-bit drivers for your SATA channel? I don't think
they are on the CD for your board, but must be downloaded and put on a
floppy. In the early part of the installation, you are told to press F6
for additional SCSI and RAID drivers. You must press F6 when prompted
and put the floppy in when told to. Windows x64 will then load the SATA
drivers.

Oh, and be sure your SATA channel is enabled in your BIOS. It is not
necessary to do a RAID configuration to use the SATA.

Old December 23rd 04, 01:49 AM
Bob Knowlden

I'm not dead certain, but I believe that you don't need to install any
additional drivers if you are using the onboard (VT8237) SATA controller,
and you aren't going to use RAID. I also believe that you'll have to turn
the SATA Boot Rom option on in the BIOS, if the SATA drive is to be used as
the boot drive.

If you are using the Promise controller, you will probably have to install
drivers for it (F6 during the XP installation), even if you aren't using
RAID. (I see that Asus has drivers for download..) I suggest using the
onboard controller and disabling the Promise controller in the BIOS, if you
don't need it.

The reason I'm uncertain about this is that I haven't done it in my system.
My mainboard is the similar A8V, but I went directly to a pair of SATA
drives in RAID 0. The only system that I've had a single SATA drive in used
a P4P800 mainboard (Intel 865PE chipset), and it needed no additional
drivers to use a single SATA drive as the boot drive from the onboard
controller.

Incidentally, you may have invited a vast amount of spam by posting your
plain email address in a Usenet newsgroup. Good luck with that.

Bob Knowlden

Old December 23rd 04, 02:48 AM
EzAk

Bob Knowlden wrote:
[...]

xp doesnt have the drivers, you do need to install them

SATA install help Matthew General 0 November 25th 04 07:18 AM
SATA w/ XP Install....... Al Grant General 6 September 24th 04 09:24 AM
Install windows IDE then switch drive to SATA ? this work ? OCZ Guy General 1 June 30th 04 06:08 AM
How to install SATA harddrive? Machine Messiah General 16 May 21st 04 12:36 AM
How to install new SATA drives for RAID 0? [email protected] General 2 February 11th 04 02:58 PM