Tricky Problem: Need Help

Old November 25th 04, 01:21 PM
Michael

Default Tricky Problem: Need Help

I just purchased and installed a new Athlon XP 3200 (400MHz) CPU. However,
I get a blue screen whenever I try to load the system using the CPU's BIOS
settings (11x multiplier and 200 MHz CPU interface/400 MHz FSB). My system
specs are below. Here's what I have done to date.

- re-installed the latest BIOS numerous times
- Motherboard has been in operation for 10 months using a Athlon 2700 and
experienced no problems
- checked the RAM in another system (works great). RAM is Micron certified
PC3200/400MHz
- checked the CPU in another system (works great)
- changed the multiplier to 10.5 and ran the FSB at 200/400Hmz (works great)
- changed multiplier to 11 and 12x and ran FSB at 166/333 (works great)

I seem to only encounter this problem when I try to bump the multiplier to
11 or 11.5x using a 200/400MHz FSB. I am currently running the system at
10.5x with a 205/410MHz FSB and it's operating flawlessly. Has anyone
experienced a similar problem? Any help or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

SYSTEM SPECS:
Athlon XP 3200+ OEM CPU
Two Micron PC3200 512MB Memory Modules
Shuttle AN35N Ultra Motherboard (Nvidia nForce2 chipset) - Latest nVidia
Chipset Drivers applied
(on-board sound and LAN)
nVidia GeForce 6800 Video Card with 128MB DDR at 8x AGP

Old November 25th 04, 01:37 PM
Stings

Did you check for a BIOS fix
Some of the first 400FSB systems boards did not work at 400 despite
advertising statements
It seems that XP3200 is not on the official CPU supported list.
http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/fa...AN35/N%20Ultra

Personal note: I would not buy a shuttle board.

Old November 26th 04, 03:33 PM
Michael

I agree. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy a Shuttle.
However, I'm stuck with it now; at least until I decide to do a full
upgrade.

I contacted Shuttle support and there are no other updates to the BIOS.
According to their support, the 3200 is fully supported.

I'm able to run a 400MHz FSB with no problem as long as I keep the
multiplier below 10.5. Conversely, if I lower teh FSB, I can bump the
multiplier above 10.5. I just can't get the two to meet in the middle. Any
other ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Old November 27th 04, 09:38 PM

Your board will only tolarate a 333 (166) setting at 11 or higher. This
is a limitation of the board. You are not doing anything wrong.

Old December 4th 04, 03:38 AM
Michael

How is it a limitation? The vendor states that it supports Athlon 3200 at
400 MHz. Please explain.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

oups.com...

Old December 4th 04, 09:12 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:33:26 -0600, Michael wrote:

I'm able to run a 400MHz FSB with no problem as long as I keep the
multiplier below 10.5. Conversely, if I lower teh FSB, I can bump the
multiplier above 10.5. I just can't get the two to meet in the middle. Any
other ideas?

Weak PSU. Try and raise vcore a little.

Old December 4th 04, 03:29 PM
Michael

I tried that but no difference.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike
"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2004.12.04.09.16.37.326674@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:33:26 -0600, Michael wrote:

I'm able to run a 400MHz FSB with no problem as long as I keep the
multiplier below 10.5. Conversely, if I lower teh FSB, I can bump the
multiplier above 10.5. I just can't get the two to meet in the middle.
Any
other ideas?

Weak PSU. Try and raise vcore a little.

Help needed with unidentified problem ^MisterJingo^ General 3 November 23rd 04 05:45 AM
Unusual DVD-rom problem Sizif General 0 July 7th 04 03:25 PM
This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
Sound card problem Phileas General 10 May 9th 04 10:55 PM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM