Athlon XP

Old November 16th 04, 08:32 PM
Marc B.

Default Athlon XP

I'm looking to upgrade my Athlon 1.2Ghz CPU. I'm currently looking at
the Athlon XP 2800+, 3000+ and 3200+. I'm curious if there is a
noticable speed difference between the three chips. Thanks in advance
for your thoughts.
Old November 17th 04, 12:45 AM
Stings

NO
If you want performance get a 2800 and spend the rest on a better video card
or more DDR,
A 3200 with a ATI 9200 is slower than
A 2800 with a ATI 9600 or 9800

BUT this is a 64 BIT CPU site not XP
I have a AMD-64 3000 1gig DDR ATI 9600 and it runs cold at 40 degrees my
2200XP ran at 55-65 degrees.

Old November 17th 04, 02:00 AM
Marc B.

Stings wrote:
NO
If you want performance get a 2800 and spend the rest on a better video card
or more DDR,
A 3200 with a ATI 9200 is slower than
A 2800 with a ATI 9600 or 9800

BUT this is a 64 BIT CPU site not XP
I have a AMD-64 3000 1gig DDR ATI 9600 and it runs cold at 40 degrees my
2200XP ran at 55-65 degrees.

My bad. Thanks for responding and not flaming. Appreciate the info.
Old November 17th 04, 04:44 AM
Lachoneus

I'm looking to upgrade my Athlon 1.2Ghz CPU. I'm currently looking at
the Athlon XP 2800+, 3000+ and 3200+. I'm curious if there is a
noticable speed difference between the three chips. Thanks in advance
for your thoughts.

Are you planning on keeping your existing motherboard? If so, that
could rule out the 3200+, if your board doesn't support a 400MHz FSB.
Then again, your board might not even support a 333MHz FSB, in which
case you might not be able to run anything above a 2400+.

OTOH, if you're not planning on keeping your existing motherboard, I'd
suggest getting an Athlon 64 instead of an Athlon XP. You can get a
Socket754 nForce3 motherboard (Chaintech VNF3-250) and an Athlon 64
2800+ CPU (which is much faster than an XP 2800+) for under $200 on
Newegg.com.
Old November 17th 04, 08:12 AM
Marc B.

Lachoneus wrote:

Are you planning on keeping your existing motherboard? If so, that
could rule out the 3200+, if your board doesn't support a 400MHz FSB.
Then again, your board might not even support a 333MHz FSB, in which
case you might not be able to run anything above a 2400+.

I just recently upgraded from an IWill to an Asus so I don't plan on
upgrading the motherboard. The board doesn't support 400MHz but does
support 333MHz. I know all three of the chips I mentioned (2800+, 3000+
and 3200+) have 333MHz FSH versions.

I haven't kept up-to-date on processors which is why I'm looking for
advice. My PC is primarily used for gaming so a bit more info. to you
may be helpful. I have 512MB RAM and an ATI Radeon 9600 video card.
The Asus motherboard I have is a A7V8X-X. I plan to upgrade memory at
some point but the CPU is my main concern currently.

Again, thanks for your input in advance.
Old November 17th 04, 09:05 AM
rstlne

+.

I just recently upgraded from an IWill to an Asus so I don't plan on
upgrading the motherboard. The board doesn't support 400MHz but does
support 333MHz. I know all three of the chips I mentioned (2800+, 3000+
and 3200+) have 333MHz FSH versions.

I haven't kept up-to-date on processors which is why I'm looking for
advice. My PC is primarily used for gaming so a bit more info. to you
may be helpful. I have 512MB RAM and an ATI Radeon 9600 video card.
The Asus motherboard I have is a A7V8X-X. I plan to upgrade memory at
some point but the CPU is my main concern currently.

Again, thanks for your input in advance.

I didnt think there was a marketed 3200+ version ..
Dont buy a sempron that's for sure..

Why not a 2400+/2500+ Mob (Mob Barton)

Mob 2500+ is 88$ on newegg and you can just turn the multiplier up and have
it going at a 3400+ rating..

Old November 18th 04, 12:09 AM
Marc B.

rstlne wrote:

Why not a 2400+/2500+ Mob (Mob Barton)

Mob 2500+ is 88$ on newegg and you can just turn the multiplier up and have
it going at a 3400+ rating..

By "Mob" I assume you mean a mobile CPU. I didn't know you could
install a mobile processor onto a desktop motherboard.

And what is the multiplier? Is it software that comes with the
processor? Is this basic overclocking? I've never overclocked a CPU
but I assume it's fairly easy and safe.

Thanks again for the input.
Old November 18th 04, 12:14 AM
Joe

The XP "Model number" is based off the speed of an Athlon 1.0 so you can
just do the math here and decide.

One way to look at things:
A 3000 is only 7.1% faster than a 2800 and a 3200 is only 14.2% faster than
a 2800.
Do you think you would notice a 7.1 or 14.2 % increase? And I bet there is
much more than 7.1 and 14.2 % difference in price

Another way to look at things:
Even the 2800 is 133% faster than what you have, a 3000 150% and a 3200 166%

I just check though and 3000 is as high as they go with a 333 FSB so 3000 is
your limit so you just need to decide what degree of performance is worth
how much to you.
Joe

Old November 18th 04, 12:58 AM
rstlne

"Marc B." wrote in message
rstlne wrote:

Why not a 2400+/2500+ Mob (Mob Barton)

Mob 2500+ is 88$ on newegg and you can just turn the multiplier up and

have
it going at a 3400+ rating..

By "Mob" I assume you mean a mobile CPU. I didn't know you could
install a mobile processor onto a desktop motherboard.

And what is the multiplier? Is it software that comes with the
processor? Is this basic overclocking? I've never overclocked a CPU
but I assume it's fairly easy and safe.

Thanks again for the input.

It defaults to something like 6*100 I think..
But the multiplier is unlockd .. I am TEMPTED to upgrade my old athlon800
system with one (just for kicks really) .. But Overclocking is generally
safe and easy if you do a little reading ahead of time..

here is a little article on some recent stuff so it might give you an "idea"
as to how you want to move forward.
http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...mlld19JRD03MjI

Keep in mind that a lower FSB means that ram will probably be the big "bog"
of the system

Old November 18th 04, 01:52 AM
Ed Light

Luckily you have the kt400 via chipset, so you can download Crystal CPUID
and change the multiplier on the fly. You can set it to run real slow except
when the cpu use gets high, and then you can set it to speed up to whatever
the top multiplier is set at on your cpu.

I have a mobile 2200+ 35w that has 12.5x as the maximum. My motherboard
starts it at 13x, but when Crystal takes over it can only go up to the 12.5x
programmed in the cpu. I run it at 500mhz up to 60% utilitzation, then 1250,
the 2083. All this at 166/333 bus with 333 memory. So it's a 2800+ that way,
with "cool n' quiet" action. But when I boot to game, I just leave it at 13x
which is 2150, all at default voltage - the mb says it's at 1.58, but I
don't trust it.

To go faster I have to raise the voltage and it's not worth the heat.

I have no fan on the heatsink and a duct leading to the case fan. When my
cpu is doing hard work the system temperature never rises.

Anyhow, I don't know if you can set the multiplier on your motherboard (in
the bios or with jumpers) but that will only affect the boot speed if you're
using Crystal.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/