Dell getting close to choosing AMD very soon?

Old November 12th 04, 01:45 AM
ykhan

Default Dell getting close to choosing AMD very soon?

Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.

Yahoo! News - Dell CEO Says Considering AMD Chips for Servers
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...c&sid=95573372

Yousuf Khan
Old November 12th 04, 03:53 AM
keith

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:45:03 -0800, ykhan wrote:

Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.

Oh, good grief, Yousuf! How many times have your heard this? Intel's
sales droids will visit Michael and give him another "deal he cannot
refuse". ;-)

--
Keith

Old November 12th 04, 04:06 AM
Carlo Razzeto

"ykhan" wrote in message
m...
Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.

Yahoo! News - Dell CEO Says Considering AMD Chips for Servers
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...c&sid=95573372

Yousuf Khan

Eh, I'll believe it when I can actully buy an Opteron server on dell.com.
Till then, they're probably just playing the "Intel give us better prices or
we'll sell AMD" card.....

Carlo

Old November 12th 04, 04:09 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:53:33 -0500, keith wrote:

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:45:03 -0800, ykhan wrote:

Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.

Oh, good grief, Yousuf! How many times have your heard this? Intel's
sales droids will visit Michael and give him another "deal he cannot
refuse". ;-)

More to the point it's the time of year that Dell is negotiating their new
contract with Intel. Dell always leaks stories about offering AMD systems
when it's new contract time, Intel then comes in with rock bottom prices
and that's the end of the rumors until it's time for the next contract.
Who knows, they might even offer a dual Opteron system just to put
a scare into Intel. They won't offer any Athlon64 systems, just a high
end server. They offer Linux on their servers to keep Microsoft on
their toes. Dell only sells Redhat Enterprise Linux which is priced
identically to XP, they don't offer any of the cheap or free Linuxes like
Mandrake or Debian. They also don't offer it on desktops or laptops, only
on servers. Linux is there strictly to improve Dell's negotiating position
with Microsoft. They might do the same thing with an Opteron. It's very
unlikely that Dell will jump whole heartedly on the AMD64 bandwagon.
Old November 12th 04, 08:34 AM
George Macdonald

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:06:01 -0500, "Carlo Razzeto"
wrote:

"ykhan" wrote in message
om...
Another story about Dell choosing AMD pretty soon now. But this time
it's something that the Dell CEO himself is saying.

Yahoo! News - Dell CEO Says Considering AMD Chips for Servers
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...c&sid=95573372

Yousuf Khan

Eh, I'll believe it when I can actully buy an Opteron server on dell.com.
Till then, they're probably just playing the "Intel give us better prices or
we'll sell AMD" card.....

There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a mistake
with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old November 12th 04, 11:05 AM
Stings

Do you think Intel suspects this after 10 years and tens of thousands of
stories reporting how they are being played??
I would instantly stop selling chips to Dell a week of no sales would stop
Dells game playing and jaw waging.
Its a gamble I know but Intel has many more clients but Dell has 1 supplier.
I would also raise chip prices if they started using other chipsets VIA SiS
Ali.
The road runs both ways.

"Carlo Razzeto" wrote in message
m...

Old November 12th 04, 02:17 PM
rstlne

There was strong evidence a few months ago that if you twist their arm,
Dell *will* do an Opteron system for you - somebody at Dell made a mistake
with the Web site and it appeared as "available" for a couple of days.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Those show up all the time..
Dell Opteron Server Service Contracts.
Opteron replacement Chips.
AXP chips at one time spotted too!

I wonder sometimes if it's just something that's done so they can get a kick
out of the media industry. I dont see dell moving to amd in a rush because
I figgure they'll want their own specific hardware. If we ever see them
Buying in the hardware that was design'd elsewhere then yea they'll prolly
move some stuff to amd.

Old November 12th 04, 02:50 PM
chrisv

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

They offer Linux on their servers to keep Microsoft on
their toes. Dell only sells Redhat Enterprise Linux which is priced
identically to XP, they don't offer any of the cheap or free Linuxes like
Mandrake or Debian. They also don't offer it on desktops or laptops, only
on servers. Linux is there strictly to improve Dell's negotiating position
with Microsoft.

You don't think it has anything to do with customer demand? I think
you're mistaken. M$ does not dominate the server market, like they do
in desktops, you know. Dell doesn't want to say "go somewhere else"
to a huge chunk of the server market.

Old November 12th 04, 04:36 PM
The little lost angel

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:05:09 GMT, "Stings"
wrote:

Do you think Intel suspects this after 10 years and tens of thousands of
stories reporting how they are being played??
I would instantly stop selling chips to Dell a week of no sales would stop
Dells game playing and jaw waging.
Its a gamble I know but Intel has many more clients but Dell has 1 supplier.
I would also raise chip prices if they started using other chipsets VIA SiS
Ali.
The road runs both ways.

But what kind of media backlash would Intel get if Dell goes public
and slam the dirty on Intel for it? Imagine Dell putting out an
announcements on major papers say "Sorry to our millions of customers
who have their orders cancelled. Intel wanted to show YOU who's boss."
PpP

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me
Old November 12th 04, 05:04 PM
Robert Redelmeier

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips The little lost angel wrote:
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:05:09 GMT, "Stings" wrote:
Do you think Intel suspects this after 10 years and tens of
thousands of stories reporting how they are being played??
I would instantly stop selling chips to Dell a week of no
sales would stop Dells game playing and jaw waging. Its a
gamble I know but Intel has many more clients but Dell has
1 supplier. I would also raise chip prices if they started
using other chipsets VIA SiS Ali. The road runs both ways.

But what kind of media backlash would Intel get if Dell
goes public and slam the dirty on Intel for it? Imagine
Dell putting out an announcements on major papers say
"Sorry to our millions of customers who have their orders
cancelled. Intel wanted to show YOU who's boss." PpP

Neither of these things is even remotely probable.

This isn't buying onesies-twosies. This is big, critical business.
Dell probably has 2-4 people who do nothing but buy from Intel.
Intel has at least that many who do nothing but sell to Dell.

Dell certainly has a fixed purchase contract with Intel
to buy X processors at y% discount from Intel's benchmark,
with options on more. Short of "force majeure" (a fab burning),
Intel will deliver. Intel needs the volume just as much as Dell.

If they're in contract negotiations right now, I'd expect it
to be for 2006 or later. They're idiots if 2005 isn't sewn up.

A bigger problem is how Dell approaches AMD. AMD can be sure
if Dell is serious about volume, or just using them as a foil.

-- Robert