Processor Speed on HP Laptop

Old October 31st 04, 06:19 PM
Eliezer Bulka

Default Processor Speed on HP Laptop

I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting 1.8
GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and hit
Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797 MHz.
As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any suggestions?

Old October 31st 04, 06:27 PM
Dee

Eliezer Bulka wrote:

I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting 1.8
GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and hit
Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797 MHz.
As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any suggestions?

If the laptop is setup with "Cool-n-Quiet" (or possibly 'PowerNow')
enabled, this is normal. These slow down the CPU and drop the CPU
voltage when it's not need at a higher speed to conserve battery power
and to keep the CPU cooler.

Old October 31st 04, 06:32 PM
Eliezer Bulka

Thanks for the answer. However, to test this out I have run several high
demand applications at the same time while being plugged into AC Power and I
still get the same result.

Old October 31st 04, 06:33 PM
Dee

"Dee" wrote in message

Eliezer Bulka wrote:

I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting
1.8 GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and
hit Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797
MHz. As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any
suggestions?

If the laptop is setup with "Cool-n-Quiet" (or possibly 'PowerNow')
enabled, this is normal. These slow down the CPU and drop the CPU voltage
when it's not need at a higher speed to conserve battery power and to keep
the CPU cooler.

You should submit an inquiry to HP Tech Support and they can tell you
whether you have a problem or not. You can fill out a Tech Support
request on-line at HP.

Old October 31st 04, 06:41 PM
Hamman

"Eliezer Bulka" wrote in message
I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting 1.8
GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and hit
Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797 MHz.
As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any suggestions?

Sitting infront of a mobile 2500+ laptop at the moment, i can tell you that
if powernow is working correctly, the speed in my computer DOES change.

779MHz is the lowest speed for my chip, and it displays 1.86GHz under load.

hamman

Old October 31st 04, 06:56 PM
Eliezer Bulka

Been there, done that. Not with this specific problem but with another BIOS
issue. They're hopeless.

Old October 31st 04, 07:37 PM
Hierophant

"Eliezer Bulka" wrote in message
|I have a zv5000z with an AMD Athlon 64 2800+. It is capable of hitting 1.8
| GHz. However, for some reason, when I left click on My Computer and hit
| Properties, I almost always get a processor speed no greater than 797 MHz.
| As usual, no one at HP can help me with this problem. Any suggestions?

Set the notebook to "always on" in the power scheme (or "home/office desk")
and DO NOT read the system properties reporting speed. It is not accurate.
Use CPUID , CPU-Z or some other external realtime frequency checking.

Old October 31st 04, 07:39 PM
Hierophant

|I haven't figured out how to check PowerNow settings. Any tips?

In WindowsXP, by default there are no visible controls for PowerNow.
Home/Office Desk and Always on in the power scheme lock it at it's highest
frequency (on AC power). Portable/Laptop sets it to dynamic speed
switching. Windows system properties does not typically accurately report
the frequency on a mobile A64.

Old November 1st 04, 02:07 AM
Eliezer Bulka

Thanks all, CPU-Z did the trick