HELP Athlon 64 3000 & K8V SE and Ultra160 SCSI problems!!

Old October 28th 04, 03:59 AM
The Nicholson's

Default HELP Athlon 64 3000 & K8V SE and Ultra160 SCSI problems!!

I just ran into the following problem in a big way... new install of K8V SE
and
Athlon 64 3000+ and had nopthing but a nightmare with my Ultra160 SCSI Hard
drives (including the one which was my OS Drive!)

All SCSI Hard Drives worked 100% fine on old Athlon XP 1600 System thru ASUS
A7M 266 mainboard.

At present the system did install Windows XP to an EIDE drive via an EIDE
DVD burner-drive however my SCSI hardware seems to now be unusable.

The odd thing about this is that the system does recognize the Adaptec 29160
controller, does post all devices in the boot sequence without a problem,
does recognize all scsi hard drives as valid hard drives but the system will
not boot to Windows with any 1, all or a combination of them connected to
the scsi card.

Anyone have any Ideas on this?

Old October 28th 04, 12:28 PM
Dee

The Nicholson's wrote:

I just ran into the following problem in a big way... new install of K8V SE
and
Athlon 64 3000+ and had nopthing but a nightmare with my Ultra160 SCSI Hard
drives (including the one which was my OS Drive!)

All SCSI Hard Drives worked 100% fine on old Athlon XP 1600 System thru ASUS
A7M 266 mainboard.

At present the system did install Windows XP to an EIDE drive via an EIDE
DVD burner-drive however my SCSI hardware seems to now be unusable.

The odd thing about this is that the system does recognize the Adaptec 29160
controller, does post all devices in the boot sequence without a problem,
does recognize all scsi hard drives as valid hard drives but the system will
not boot to Windows with any 1, all or a combination of them connected to
the scsi card.

Anyone have any Ideas on this?

How many PCI cards do you have total and which slot are you putting the
29160 in? I have a 29160N card and had no problems with it on a MSI K8T
Neo FSR board. Even install x64 on my SCSI drive.

Old October 28th 04, 06:47 PM
mouse_launcher

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 07:28:19 -0400, Dee wrote:

The Nicholson's wrote:

[...]

Blinding the statingly obvious - have you checked your boot devices and
boot order?
Does windows give any error messages? Does booting in "safe" mode help
any?
You also might want to try a different PCI slot - I've had issues with
older boards and cards that have caused a great deal of hassle - see if
you can use a slot that has it's own INT# (ie no sharing). This should
help to rule out an IRQ conflict.
Old October 28th 04, 11:59 PM
The Nicholson's

Howdy All,

Much appreciated for the feedback on this issue which, alas, is the source
of much grief.

As far as PCI usage I have the following:

SB Live 5.1
Adaptec USB - Fire Wire
Adaptec 29160

I did try changing the scsi card around but after 2 different slots I
figured the problem may have been with the mainboard bios itself and not an
irq conflict.

As far as booting into windows... the system, as mentioned, recognizes
controller on boot/post, bios recognizes all scsi and eide drives yet after
bios-post it refuses to acknowledge any drives being connected at all
(either my scsi drive that used to be my OS drive, the other scsi drives or
even the eide drive)

I will attempt to place the scsi card in yet a different slot in hopes of it
working and will in turn post my findings as an FYI to all.

One question remains however, would there be an easy way for me to determine
if the PCI slot is actually sharing the IRQ assigned to it?

thxs again for all the help... much appreciated.

news

Old October 29th 04, 10:41 PM
mouse_launcher

[...]

Hopefully your M/B manual has a table listing the sharing assignments.
Failing that, you may have some luck on the web site. I have a system
with an A7V8X-X M/B (Athlon Socket A) and it has the table in question
under Expansion Slots, IRQ Assignments.
To try to save you time and aggrivation, I suggest removing the other two
cards until you get the SCSI working - this will keep the number of
potential variables in the system low whilst you locate a compatible slot.
Something worth also looking at briefly is the RAM you
are using. If you can test the RAM in another system, this may give some
results. Can you boot the system with the card in but no drives attached?