Java & Windows XP 64

Old October 23rd 04, 01:52 PM
Danielle E

Default Java & Windows XP 64

It looks like Java is not installed with Windows xp 64.

I found out this morning when I decided to go to a chat room this morning.

Has anyone installed this? Any particular site or version that works best?

Do you have to run the 32 bit or 64 bit browser?

Speaking of browsers, does anyone see any advantage to running the 64 bit
browswer at this time?

Thanks

Danielle

Old October 23rd 04, 05:21 PM
Peter Strömberg

"Danielle E" wrote in
. com:

It looks like Java is not installed with Windows xp 64.

It's been a while since MS removed java from windows.

AFAIK there isn't any jvm for 64-bit windows.

--
Peter Strömberg (55.6N 13.0E)
C2K2 C2K3 ISCCIV02 ISCCIV03 ISCCIV04
Old October 23rd 04, 07:32 PM
Steve Midgley

"Danielle E" wrote in message
. com...
It looks like Java is not installed with Windows xp 64.

I found out this morning when I decided to go to a chat room this morning.

Has anyone installed this? Any particular site or version that works

best?

Do you have to run the 32 bit or 64 bit browser?

Speaking of browsers, does anyone see any advantage to running the 64 bit
browswer at this time?

Thanks

Danielle

See http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp Get the JRE 5.0 Release
Candidate for Windows AMD64.

I have Sun Java 1.5.0-beta2 working in both 32 and 64-bit Internet Explorer
as well as Mozilla Firefox.

Steve Midgley

Old October 24th 04, 11:51 AM
Danielle E

I got the latest 64 bit installation from the site you referenced. The
files seem to run and unpack themselves. At the same time I still seem to
be missing something. I still does not seem to work.

I see the permission to enable on the sercurity page.

Did you have do anything else to get it to work?

Danielle

"Steve Midgley" wrote in message
. com...

Old October 24th 04, 02:44 PM
Dee

Why don't you visit the Microsoft newsgroup for windows XP Pro x64? I
think you might get some response to your question about Java there;

The following page at Microsoft give the information about the newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...n/upgrade.mspx

Old October 24th 04, 07:03 PM
Steve Midgley

"Danielle E" wrote in message
m...
I got the latest 64 bit installation from the site you referenced. The
files seem to run and unpack themselves. At the same time I still seem to
be missing something. I still does not seem to work.

I see the permission to enable on the sercurity page.

Did you have do anything else to get it to work?

Danielle

In Internet Explorer, go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and make sure
there is a check in the Java (Sun) check box.

Steve Midgley

Old October 25th 04, 10:48 AM
Danielle E

I could not see that box. I found an enable radio button under internet
options - security, but I do not see a check box for java under internet
options - advanced.

Danielle

"Steve Midgley" wrote in message
m...

Old October 26th 04, 05:13 PM
Frank

I could not see that box. I found an enable radio button under
internet options - security, but I do not see a check box for java
under internet options - advanced.

When you installed the JVM it should have asked to you associate java with
the Internet Explorer browser. Open up the control panel and see if there
is a Java applet in there. If there is an applet then you should see a
panel to associated the JVM with browsers. If there is no Java applet in
the control panel then I believe that the install did not work. Another
sign that your Java install did not work correctly is that you will not
have a Java WebStart icon on your desk if the install failed.

For some reason Sun did not release an Win64 version of the final 1.5.0.
Make sure you have the Win64 version of the Java 1.5.0 release candidate.
Also, you must install it on Win64 beta, not on the 32-bit versions of
Windows XP, 2000, etc. Sorry if that seems to obvious, just trying to help.

Frank
Old November 8th 04, 12:11 PM
Danielle E

Finally got Java working at least with Firefox. Had to go to Windows
control panel and click x86 icons.

Danielle