Identifying a 62W versus 81.5W mobile processor via software

Old October 10th 04, 07:42 AM
Todd

Default Identifying a 62W versus 81.5W mobile processor via software

I have ordered a notebook with the 62w Mobile Athlon 64 3200+
(AMN3200BIX5AP). How can I make sure that I have the 62w and not the
81.5w Mobile DTR Athlon 64 3200+ (AMN3200BIX5AP). They are very
similar according to the tech docs. Obviously I don't want to open up
the notebook and remove the heat sink to look at the product number.
Is there a software solution? I am aware of amdcpuid.exe but this
doesn't appear to give me enough information between these very
similar processors.

Todd
Old October 10th 04, 11:31 PM
rstlne

"Todd" wrote in message
om...
I have ordered a notebook with the 62w Mobile Athlon 64 3200+
(AMN3200BIX5AP). How can I make sure that I have the 62w and not the
81.5w Mobile DTR Athlon 64 3200+ (AMN3200BIX5AP). They are very
similar according to the tech docs. Obviously I don't want to open up
the notebook and remove the heat sink to look at the product number.
Is there a software solution? I am aware of amdcpuid.exe but this
doesn't appear to give me enough information between these very
similar processors.

Todd

I know this sounds strange.. But where are you getting the laptop from.. If
it's some big company then I have serious doubts that they will shaft U..
The 2 part coes for the 3200+'s were the same too.. I would think that the
voltage required is different on the 2 chips and that any cpuid program with
that ability should help you find your answer.

Old October 11th 04, 01:51 AM
Thunder PC

"Todd" wrote in message
om...
|I have ordered a notebook with the 62w Mobile Athlon 64 3200+
| (AMN3200BIX5AP). How can I make sure that I have the 62w and not the
| 81.5w Mobile DTR Athlon 64 3200+ (AMN3200BIX5AP). They are very
| similar according to the tech docs. Obviously I don't want to open up
| the notebook and remove the heat sink to look at the product number.
| Is there a software solution? I am aware of amdcpuid.exe but this
| doesn't appear to give me enough information between these very
| similar processors.

If I remember correctly, I think the DTR still runs at 1.5v, and the 62w
mobile runs at 1.4v. I have never owned a DTR A64, but I know my mobile A64
is identified as such in CPU-Z ("Mobile AMD Athlon 64 3200+). Maybe a DTR
will be IDed as a DTR in some fashion. The "offiicial" name for the two is
"Athlon 64 Processor for DTR" and "Mobile AMD Athlon 64 Processor". That
being that case, I would think they also tagged them differently so any cpu
ID software would show the truth. Of course the voltage it runs it should be
a dead giveaway if the name can't be used for differentiating.