thinking about AMD64 system...

Old October 9th 04, 06:55 AM
Roma 27

Default thinking about AMD64 system...

Hey all,
I've been reading this newsgroup for a while now and most of my
questions have been answered without me even having to ask them , so
thanks! However... I do have a few things I still need to ask.

1. I'm wanting to get an AMD64 system in the near future, but want to
also have a system with PCI-X so I can update graphics cards easily for
a long time to come. I know AMD64 M/Bs that are supposed to support
PCI-X should be coming out soon, but when? I hear things like "a few are
out now" or "late next year" and everything in between.

2. I would like to get Win XP-64 (the trial version) to actually use the
64-bit processor! But what's this I hear about it not being too happy
with SATA hard-drives?? Is the trial version in a pretty good state to
use (I don't need my computer for work, and I'm about to start a 4 month
break from University, so it's pretty much Internet/Games use) at the
moment, or would it be better to just wait for proper support?

3. If anyone has a COMPLETELY SILENT system setup, I'd like to hear what
fans/casing you're using. I want a computer that I can put in the
loungeroom and run HDTV and movies off, but without the constant high
pitched whirr my current (Athlon 800 - it's been a while between
upgrades!) system has.

Thanks heaps for any help you can give me, and don't worry, I'm sure
I'll have many more questions to come as I get closer to a final decision!

Roma

(don't reply to the email address as it is just a fakey)
Old October 9th 04, 06:56 PM
John R Weiss

"Roma 27" wrote...

1. I'm wanting to get an AMD64 system in the near future, but want to also
have a system with PCI-X so I can update graphics cards easily for a long time
to come. I know AMD64 M/Bs that are supposed to support PCI-X should be coming
out soon, but when? I hear things like "a few are out now" or "late next year"
and everything in between.

BE CAREFUL! PCI-X is a current 64-bit PCI bus used (mainly) in server
motherboards. It is NOT the same as the new/upcoming "PCI Express" bus that is
vying to replace [mainly] AGP-8X, and possibly other PCI cards. Which do you
want, and why do you want it?

2. I would like to get Win XP-64 (the trial version) to actually use the
64-bit processor!

I would recommend against using the beta, since it doesn't have widespread
support. Besides, with no 64-bit applications yet out, its performance gain
will be limited at best.

Old October 9th 04, 08:18 PM
Strings.

Get a case with a 120mm fan they are slower quieter and move the same amount
of air.
Get a Enermax quiet fan power supply and the fan that came with my 64 is
quiet.
Or an Antec SLK3700-BQE
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=93703
They will never be totally quiet at high CPUmhz but close.

Old October 10th 04, 04:30 AM
Roma 27

John R Weiss wrote:
"Roma 27" wrote...

[...]

Oops! Well yeah, I was meaning PCI-Express, not this other thing, thanks
for clearing that up! I am mainly waiting for PCI-Express because I
don't have the cash to update my computer often (it's usually over 3
years or more) and graphics cards are usually the easiest thing to
upgrade for the most increase in performance (as I see it, I'm still
talking gaming/internet use: I don't play with HUGE files!).

Pretty much my concern is that I don't want to buy a computer that'll
have a dead end in 1-2 years. I'm after socket 939 (good to see they've
just introduced lower end processors for it) with PCI-Express for that
reason.

Thanks for helping me out!