AMD 64 3000 939

Old October 8th 04, 07:45 PM
Alex

Default AMD 64 3000 939

Hey group.

I have come across a site selling 939 pin 64 3000 and 3200. I have contacted
the site as i didnt know they were avaliable and as i want a new MB, and
want a 939 socket one it looks like a good value option. They have confirmed
them.
Anyone know any details on the chips - as the AMD site doesnt list them.

Cheers -
Alex

PS...site is www.lowestonweb.com

Old October 8th 04, 07:53 PM
Dee

Alex wrote:
Hey group.

I have come across a site selling 939 pin 64 3000 and 3200. I have contacted
the site as i didnt know they were avaliable and as i want a new MB, and
want a 939 socket one it looks like a good value option. They have confirmed
them.
Anyone know any details on the chips - as the AMD site doesnt list them.

Cheers -
Alex

PS...site is www.lowestonweb.com

The 939 pin Athlon 64 3000+ and 3200+ are the new 90nm CPUs that just
came available this month. If you want to read one review, here's the
URL for AMD Zone's review:

http://www.amdzone.net/modules.php?o...rtid=63&page=1

Old October 8th 04, 10:30 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:53:51 -0400, Dee wrote:

Alex wrote:
Hey group.

I have come across a site selling 939 pin 64 3000 and 3200. I have contacted
the site as i didnt know they were avaliable and as i want a new MB, and
want a 939 socket one it looks like a good value option. They have confirmed
them.
Anyone know any details on the chips - as the AMD site doesnt list them.

Cheers -
Alex

PS...site is www.lowestonweb.com

The 939 pin Athlon 64 3000+ and 3200+ are the new 90nm CPUs that just
came available this month. If you want to read one review, here's the
URL for AMD Zone's review:

http://www.amdzone.net/modules.php?o...rtid=63&page=1

There is a pretty small price difference between the 3000+ and the 3200+
so you might as well get the 3200+. Also wait 2 weeks, AMD has a price cut
coming next week. As for motherboards, the review sites like the MSI
K8N NEO2 Platinum.
Old October 9th 04, 09:17 AM
born_yesterday

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:45:24 +0100, "Alex" wrote:

Hey group.

I have come across a site selling 939 pin 64 3000 and 3200. I have contacted
the site as i didnt know they were avaliable and as i want a new MB, and
want a 939 socket one it looks like a good value option. They have confirmed
them.
Anyone know any details on the chips - as the AMD site doesnt list them.

Cheers -
Alex

PS...site is www.lowestonweb.com

Is it still the popular opinion that socket 939 is magical and
desirable over the pathetic and diseased socket 754 ?

LOL.

Old October 9th 04, 01:12 PM
JS

"Alex" wrote in
:

Hey group.

I have come across a site selling 939 pin 64 3000 and 3200. I have
contacted the site as i didnt know they were avaliable and as i want a
new MB, and want a 939 socket one it looks like a good value option.
They have confirmed them.
Anyone know any details on the chips - as the AMD site doesnt list
them.

Try:

http://www.amd.com/us-
en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487%5E10248,00.html
Old October 9th 04, 04:04 PM
Cuzman

born_yesterday wrote in message

" Is it still the popular opinion that socket 939 is magical and desirable
over the pathetic and diseased socket 754? "

That looks to be very much the case. Socket 939 currently offers a longer
CPU roadmap and dual-channel performance. The 939 3000+ will shed the 'too
expensive' tag, and the near future will bring Nforce4, PCI-E, SLI and
DDR-II.

Socket 754 may not get Nforce4, PCI-E, SLI and DDR-II. If AMD want it as
the main Sempron platform (as previously predicted), they will pressure
their partners and run their marketing strategy to keep socket 939 ahead.

Old October 9th 04, 08:07 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 16:04:57 +0100, Cuzman wrote:

born_yesterday wrote in message

" Is it still the popular opinion that socket 939 is magical and
desirable over the pathetic and diseased socket 754? "

That looks to be very much the case. Socket 939 currently offers a
longer CPU roadmap and dual-channel performance. The 939 3000+ will
shed the 'too expensive' tag, and the near future will bring Nforce4,
PCI-E, SLI and DDR-II.

Socket 754 may not get Nforce4, PCI-E, SLI and DDR-II. If AMD want it
as the main Sempron platform (as previously predicted), they will
pressure their partners and run their marketing strategy to keep socket
939 ahead.

I think what he was trying to point out is that the A64 3000+ on a socket
754 board beats the A64 3000+ 939 in every test by a good margin (except
memory benchmarks). So 939 doesn't really offer anything in performance
boost over the pathetic 754 as he would put it.:-)

Old October 9th 04, 11:45 PM
Dee

born_yesterday wrote:
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:45:24 +0100, "Alex" wrote:

Hey group.

I have come across a site selling 939 pin 64 3000 and 3200. I have contacted
the site as i didnt know they were avaliable and as i want a new MB, and
want a 939 socket one it looks like a good value option. They have confirmed
them.
Anyone know any details on the chips - as the AMD site doesnt list them.

Cheers -
Alex

PS...site is www.lowestonweb.com

Is it still the popular opinion that socket 939 is magical and
desirable over the pathetic and diseased socket 754 ?

LOL.

Based on you asinine response, you must have been the afterbirth that
came out of your mother's anus, which wasn't even the right path!!

Old October 10th 04, 05:02 AM
Lachoneus

I think what he was trying to point out is that the A64 3000+ on a socket
754 board beats the A64 3000+ 939 in every test by a good margin (except
memory benchmarks). So 939 doesn't really offer anything in performance
boost over the pathetic 754 as he would put it.:-)

Probably because the S754 3000+ runs at 2.0GHz, while the S939 3000+
runs at 1.8GHz. I'll bet a S754 3000+ would match a S939 3200+ in
single channel mode and be slightly outperformed by it in dual channel
mode (but probably not by a large enough factor to get excited about).

Still, if I were building an A64 box in the near future, I'd probably go
with a S939 since it has a better upgrade path.
Old October 10th 04, 05:32 AM
JK

Lachoneus wrote:

I think what he was trying to point out is that the A64 3000+ on a socket
754 board beats the A64 3000+ 939 in every test by a good margin (except
memory benchmarks). So 939 doesn't really offer anything in performance
boost over the pathetic 754 as he would put it.:-)

Probably because the S754 3000+ runs at 2.0GHz, while the S939 3000+
runs at 1.8GHz. I'll bet a S754 3000+ would match a S939 3200+ in
single channel mode and be slightly outperformed by it in dual channel
mode (but probably not by a large enough factor to get excited about).

Still, if I were building an A64 box in the near future, I'd probably go
with a S939 since it has a better upgrade path.

I would choose the socket 754 one, since the socket 939 one is around $50
more, and a socket 939 motherboard is around $30 more than a socket
754 one. The $80 saved would probably pay for a new motherboard when
you are ready to upgrade the cpu, and motherboards available then will
probably be much better performing than those available now.