AMD Athlon 2500+ or 3200+

Old September 25th 04, 02:33 PM
Flawless V2

Default AMD Athlon 2500+ or 3200+

I bought what I thought was a AMD Athlon XP 3200+. My BIOS is
reporting the processor to be a Athlon 2500+. The guy who I bought it
from said to 'check the multiplier and other bios settings' because
he's assuring me it is indeed a 3200+.

Could the BIOS be incorrect or did he pull a fast one? Is there a way
to difinitively figure this out or do I have to bring the chip to a
computer store to verify the model?

I have an abit NF7-S2G motherboard with phoenix awardBIOS.

Thanks,
-FV2
Old September 25th 04, 03:16 PM
Carlo Razzeto

"Flawless V2" wrote in message
om...
I bought what I thought was a AMD Athlon XP 3200+. My BIOS is
reporting the processor to be a Athlon 2500+. The guy who I bought it
from said to 'check the multiplier and other bios settings' because
he's assuring me it is indeed a 3200+.

Could the BIOS be incorrect or did he pull a fast one? Is there a way
to difinitively figure this out or do I have to bring the chip to a
computer store to verify the model?

I have an abit NF7-S2G motherboard with phoenix awardBIOS.

Thanks,
-FV2

Your BIOS could be setting your FSB incorrectly, make sure it's running at
400MHz.

Carlo

Old September 25th 04, 04:09 PM
Lachoneus

I bought what I thought was a AMD Athlon XP 3200+. My BIOS is
reporting the processor to be a Athlon 2500+. The guy who I bought it
from said to 'check the multiplier and other bios settings' because
he's assuring me it is indeed a 3200+.

XP 2500+ = 11.0 * 166 = 1833 MHz
XP 3200+ = 11.0 * 200 = 2200 MHz

Most likely, your FSB is only set to 166MHz instead of 200MHz. It
wouldn't be the first time an nForce2 board failed to detect the correct
multiplier--a whole bunch of XP2200+ systems at work were running as
XP1600s until I told the IT guy about it.
Old September 25th 04, 05:21 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 06:33:53 -0700, Flawless V2 wrote:

I bought what I thought was a AMD Athlon XP 3200+. My BIOS is
reporting the processor to be a Athlon 2500+. The guy who I bought it
from said to 'check the multiplier and other bios settings' because
he's assuring me it is indeed a 3200+.

Could the BIOS be incorrect or did he pull a fast one? Is there a way
to difinitively figure this out or do I have to bring the chip to a
computer store to verify the model?

What's the part number on the label?
AXDA2500DKV4D = 2500+
AXDA3200DKV4E = 3200+

Basically, they are the same CPU core with different FSB default. So if
the label says 3200 he probably didn't pull a fast one or know that he
did. It's been reported that 2500+'s have been relabeled with a 3200+
partnumber though.

Old September 27th 04, 02:24 AM
Flawless V2

Wes Newell wrote in message news:pan.2004.09.25.16.27.10.335453@TAKEOUTverizo n.net...
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 06:33:53 -0700, Flawless V2 wrote:

I bought what I thought was a AMD Athlon XP 3200+. My BIOS is
reporting the processor to be a Athlon 2500+. The guy who I bought it
from said to 'check the multiplier and other bios settings' because
he's assuring me it is indeed a 3200+.

Could the BIOS be incorrect or did he pull a fast one? Is there a way
to difinitively figure this out or do I have to bring the chip to a
computer store to verify the model?

What's the part number on the label?
AXDA2500DKV4D = 2500+
AXDA3200DKV4E = 3200+

Basically, they are the same CPU core with different FSB default. So if
the label says 3200 he probably didn't pull a fast one or know that he
did. It's been reported that 2500+'s have been relabeled with a 3200+
partnumber though.

The chip has part number AXDA3200DKV4E, but if I set the FSB to
anything over 166MHz, it won't boot. It was sold to me as an Athlon XP
3200+ with 400MHz FSB. Besides not actually having a 400MHz FSB, is
there any reason why it would be capped at 166MHz?

-FV2
Old September 27th 04, 12:59 PM
ThunderPC

Wes Newell wrote in message
[...]

They are not bus locked, they are only multiplier locked.

Old September 27th 04, 07:38 PM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:24:22 -0700, Flawless V2 wrote:

The chip has part number AXDA3200DKV4E, but if I set the FSB to
anything over 166MHz, it won't boot. It was sold to me as an Athlon XP
3200+ with 400MHz FSB. Besides not actually having a 400MHz FSB, is
there any reason why it would be capped at 166MHz?

This has been discussed in length in the the proper AMD newsgroups
relating to 32bit cpu's. Please look there for 32bit cpu support. this
group is for A64's and other 64 bit AMD cpu's.

alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd