SATA cables?

Old September 13th 04, 02:27 PM
888

Default SATA cables?

Hi all!

I've just built an AMD 64 system but still undecided whether to stick with
IDE or change to SATA hard drives. Say if I were to get SATA drives would
there be *different cable speeds for SATA cables* like IDE? ie, ATA 66 and
the stiffer ATA 100+ cables.

If so what are the standards?

Thanks!

Old September 13th 04, 02:43 PM
The Chief

888 wrote:
Hi all!

I've just built an AMD 64 system but still undecided whether to stick with
IDE or change to SATA hard drives. Say if I were to get SATA drives would
there be *different cable speeds for SATA cables* like IDE? ie, ATA 66 and
the stiffer ATA 100+ cables.

If so what are the standards?

Thanks!

The current speed for SATA is 150 mega-bits per second. 300 Mbps has
been approved and will be coming out sometime in the future. I haven't
seen any 300Mbps cables yet, but 150Mbps are readily available.

I went with SATA when I built my AMD 64 system and am very happy with
them. I have seen remarks from some people who were not pleased with
SATA. I guess there can be some contributing factors affecting how they
work in each system.

What MB did you go with?

Old September 14th 04, 01:58 AM
888

"The Chief" wrote in message
888 wrote:
Hi all!

I've just built an AMD 64 system but still undecided whether to stick
with IDE or change to SATA hard drives. Say if I were to get SATA drives
would there be *different cable speeds for SATA cables* like IDE? ie, ATA
66 and the stiffer ATA 100+ cables.

If so what are the standards?

Thanks!

The current speed for SATA is 150 mega-bits per second. 300 Mbps has been
approved and will be coming out sometime in the future. I haven't seen
any 300Mbps cables yet, but 150Mbps are readily available.

I went with SATA when I built my AMD 64 system and am very happy with
them. I have seen remarks from some people who were not pleased with
SATA. I guess there can be some contributing factors affecting how they
work in each system.

What MB did you go with?

Hi thanks for the reply.

Got the MSI K8T Neo FIS2R motherboard

SATA seems to be the future. So will go for it.

I heard SATA won't boot up with Windows installed on it? Hmmm

Old September 14th 04, 03:21 AM
bah humbug

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 01:58:42 +0100, "888"
wrote:

"The Chief" wrote in message
. ..
888 wrote:
[...]

My motherboard's got SATA on the south bridge, but I passed on it.
The only SATA drive worthwhile is the 10K rpm raptor and not because
of the SATA interface.

SATA right now is still a pipedream. You buy a SATA drive, you get an
IDE drive with an extra chip to convert the ide interface to SATA.
Why bother ? The only real SATA drives are the Seagates, and they
have had their own problems with compatibility.

Then there's the problems with software that doesn't fully support
SATA boot drives too.

I'm going to wait until SATA is a LOT more mature than it is now.
Right now it's kind of an IQ test for computer geeks. (Just like most
of Intel's marketing schemes.)

Old September 14th 04, 08:27 AM
kal

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:43:41 -0400, The Chief wrote:

888 wrote:
Hi all!

I've just built an AMD 64 system but still undecided whether to stick with
IDE or change to SATA hard drives. Say if I were to get SATA drives would
there be *different cable speeds for SATA cables* like IDE? ie, ATA 66 and
the stiffer ATA 100+ cables.

If so what are the standards?

Thanks!

The current speed for SATA is 150 mega-bits per second. 300 Mbps has
been approved and will be coming out sometime in the future. I haven't
seen any 300Mbps cables yet, but 150Mbps are readily available.

I think you mean 150 mega BYTEs per second. SATA raw wire speed is 1.5
Gpbs with 10 bit coding per byte.

Old September 14th 04, 12:16 PM
The Chief

888 wrote:
"The Chief" wrote in message

888 wrote:

[...]

I'm using 2 Hitachi 80GB SATA drives on the VT8237 port and I have no
problem with Windows booting. My mb is the MSI K8T Neo-FSR without the
additional Promise RAID. I have 2 systems in this configuration that
have been up for almost 6 months and have not had any problems.

Old September 14th 04, 12:27 PM
The Chief

888 wrote:

Hi all!

I've just built an AMD 64 system but still undecided whether to stick with
IDE or change to SATA hard drives. Say if I were to get SATA drives would
there be *different cable speeds for SATA cables* like IDE? ie, ATA 66 and
the stiffer ATA 100+ cables.

If so what are the standards?

Thanks!

The current speed for SATA is 150 mega-bits per second. 300 Mbps has
been approved and will be coming out sometime in the future. I haven't
seen any 300Mbps cables yet, but 150Mbps are readily available.

I think you mean 150 mega BYTEs per second. SATA raw wire speed is 1.5
Gpbs with 10 bit coding per byte.

You're 100% correct!

Old September 16th 04, 09:08 PM
John R Weiss

"888" wrote...

I heard SATA won't boot up with Windows installed on it? Hmmm

You heard wrong. SATA and Win XP are compatible.

Old September 16th 04, 09:08 PM
John R Weiss

bah humbug wrote...

The only SATA drive worthwhile is the 10K rpm raptor and not because
of the SATA interface.

The Raptor was purpose-built for SATA. AFAIK, it will outperform any PATA drive
out there.

SATA right now is still a pipedream. You buy a SATA drive, you get an
IDE drive with an extra chip to convert the ide interface to SATA.
Why bother ? The only real SATA drives are the Seagates, and they
have had their own problems with compatibility.

You must be smoking something funny in that pipedream...

Though many SATA drives are based on IDE hardware, the WD Raptor is NOT just "an
IDE drive with an extra chip." It was a 10K RPM SATA drive from the start,
built for performance instead of a lowest-common-denominator price point.

The Seagate SATA drives are SATA versions of their 7200 RPM Barracuda IDE
drives. I have heard nothing about any compatibility problems...

Then there's the problems with software that doesn't fully support
SATA boot drives too.

Which software is that?

SATA power cable woes MC General 2 August 27th 04 01:51 AM
SATA Cables and Normal Hard Drives Si General 3 August 26th 04 06:54 AM
SATA RAID Cables? Dan General 2 February 29th 04 08:23 PM
XPOST - asus a7n8x deluxe SATA & SATA RAID! \(\) |V| 3 G A General 1 September 26th 03 06:02 PM
SATA vs. IDE Ransack The Elder Overclocking AMD Processors 32 August 23rd 03 03:04 PM