Can't install Windows XP on A64??

Old August 22nd 04, 02:49 AM
DukeN

Default Can't install Windows XP on A64??

Hey Guys/Gals

I just got a spankin new K8V SE Deluxe and an A64 to replace my P4
system. Have a Maxtor 120GB SATA hd as well.

Tried to install WinXP Pro (with SP1) after booting from it, and after
windows does its thing loading a few files, "Starting Windows", Windows
kindly informed me that there was no Hard Drive present.

What I donot understand is how is that possible, for it clearly shows up
upon POST at bootup, and Windows *copies* files to it.

So I tried to install another way. Popped in my Win98 CD, booted into
MS DOS with CD support, went to the i386 folder on my XP Pro CD, ran
WINNT.EXE

After much copying files, it finally rebooted and went to the point
where "Starting Windows" shows up. This time I get the dreaded blue
screen error of garbled memory address errors.

Repeated the same process with a Windows XP Home SP1 Cd, same errors.
(and for those wondering, all three Windows CDs I have are legitimate,
non copied, full versions).

Now the truly sad part is, my Intel Mobo/CPU combo detected my SATA and
installed like a charm w/out any problems.

Can someone *please* tell me what the issue is??? I have tried both
SATA ports on the Mobo, disabled the promise RAID controller in the BIOS
as well but to no avail. Thanks.

Cheers

Old August 22nd 04, 11:49 AM
Povl H. Pedersen

In article , DukeN wrote:
Hey Guys/Gals

I just got a spankin new K8V SE Deluxe and an A64 to replace my P4
system. Have a Maxtor 120GB SATA hd as well.

Tried to install WinXP Pro (with SP1) after booting from it, and after
windows does its thing loading a few files, "Starting Windows", Windows
kindly informed me that there was no Hard Drive present.

This means that the K8V has a SATA controller too new for Windows XP.
You need to find a driver - put on floppy and do the F6 Voodoo.

Now the truly sad part is, my Intel Mobo/CPU combo detected my SATA and
installed like a charm w/out any problems.

Sure - it was a motherboard with hardware older than the OS.

Can someone *please* tell me what the issue is??? I have tried both
SATA ports on the Mobo, disabled the promise RAID controller in the BIOS
as well but to no avail. Thanks.

The problem is, taht Microsoft does not include drivers for future
hardware, I am having trouble getting windows to control most of
alien hardware in Startrek Enterprise, but to no avail.

Go to the hardware manufacturer and get a driver floppy.

--
Povl H. Pedersen - (yes - it works)
Fastnet - IP telefoni: 5 kr/md Se
Old August 22nd 04, 03:44 PM
DukeN

Thanks for the advice.

I tried the F6 bit with the HD connected to the SATA1 as well as SATA2
controller. Still no go. *HAD TO* connect it to the PRI_SATA RAID conector
in order to get it to work.

However, after the install finished. I experienced HUGE memory leaks, and the
first time my PC wouldn't shut down. Upon powering it off manually, upon
bootup it wouldn't find the HD!! Switching back to the other connector, I got
yet another blue screen of death. Argh...I've never seen a PC so picky about
RAM spacing, drive controller selection, etc.

Old August 22nd 04, 05:09 PM
Povl H. Pedersen

In article , DukeN wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

I tried the F6 bit with the HD connected to the SATA1 as well as SATA2
controller. Still no go. *HAD TO* connect it to the PRI_SATA RAID conector
in order to get it to work.

However, after the install finished. I experienced HUGE memory leaks, and the
first time my PC wouldn't shut down. Upon powering it off manually, upon
bootup it wouldn't find the HD!! Switching back to the other connector, I got
yet another blue screen of death. Argh...I've never seen a PC so picky about
RAM spacing, drive controller selection, etc.

Then it sound like defective RAM. What does MemTest 86 say ?
Last 2 time I had unstable machines, a RAM test proved that memory
was the problem. Replaced it, and all was working.

Old August 22nd 04, 07:31 PM
DukeN

I ran the DOS version of MemTest86 and it shows sticks are fine. Which doesn't
surprise me considering I used them on my Intel setup for about 8 months with zero
problems. I just think this mobo is either screwed (i looked for bad caps and other
physical faults but there aren't any) or it just doesn't like my RAM (I've tried
just about everything from forcing my RAM's CAS settings, to using Auto to using
different combinations but no luck). One part of me is totally aggravated and wants
to take a few swings at this mobo with a bat, the other part of me wants to really
troubleshoot this thing but right now that option doesn't look too promising.

Old August 22nd 04, 07:36 PM
DukeN

By the way, there's a 40 page thread on Anandtech about this mobo as well. Went
thru every single page trying to find a fix, but no luck. Last try is gonna be that
X64 Windows, maybe that will do the trick.

Link to AT thread:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...nterthr ead=y