Dramas with Giga K8VT800 board and AMD64 2800+

Old July 22nd 04, 09:58 AM
bloke

Default Dramas with Giga K8VT800 board and AMD64 2800+

Hi All!

This is my first foray into PCs, having been a Mac user for a long time but
tired of paying big prices for hardware :-)

Anyway, on the *advice* of others I purchased a AMD64 2800+ CPU matched with
a Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 motherboard. For two days the machine ran sweet, then
suddenly restarted out of the blue. The machine then either:

A) Powers on, but no start beep, no video
B) I can get to the BIOS screen, reset the BIOS (even reflash it), but does
not restart
C) Freezes after the ram check

I have two different brand ram chips (A-Data and Navaya) at 512meg each
(both DDR400). An older Radeon 7000 video card, a WD 40Gb IDE hard drive
and a WD 120Gb SATA drive (which I can't get Windows XP to recognise on
installation).

This machine is really giving me hell, after saying PCs were crap for so
long ;-) Have I bought I dud board? Any ideas what I can do to get the
thing going? Any recommendations on other boards?

Seeya

Rod!

Old July 22nd 04, 01:13 PM
newsgroups.bellsouth.net

Do you know what version of the bios you have? ( early versions had many
problems, as an early adopter - I have a Giga K8VT800M and an MSI
NEO-FIS2R ) I have had many problems that bios updates made go away. Alot
of K8 mobos have serious ram incompatibility issues ( especially with
DDR400 ). First, try booting with only one or the other ram module
installed and see if it will go. If you have less than the F7 version of
the bios you should seriously consider updating it, especially if it is far
less. You don't have any kind of overclocking enabled do you? Also, this
may sound stupid, but you could try switching the slots that your ram
modules are installed in.

Old July 22nd 04, 02:33 PM
bloke

On 22/7/04 8:13 PM, in article ,
"newsgroups.bellsouth.net" wrote:

Do you know what version of the bios you have? ( early versions had many
problems, as an early adopter - I have a Giga K8VT800M and an MSI
NEO-FIS2R ) I have had many problems that bios updates made go away. Alot
of K8 mobos have serious ram incompatibility issues ( especially with
DDR400 ). First, try booting with only one or the other ram module
installed and see if it will go. If you have less than the F7 version of
the bios you should seriously consider updating it, especially if it is far
less. You don't have any kind of overclocking enabled do you? Also, this
may sound stupid, but you could try switching the slots that your ram
modules are installed in.

I managed to get it updated to version F7 (I have only had the machine
running for 2 days before it died :-( I have tried rotating ram slots, one
at a time. Tired of pulling out the CMOS battery, as this board doesn't
have a CMOS clear jumper!

When I go into work on Saturday I'll try out some quality PC2700 ram instead
of 3200.

Seeya

Rod!

Old July 22nd 04, 05:04 PM
newsgroups.bellsouth.net

I don't know about the F7 bios, but in others I had cmos corruption - I had
to get into the bios setup and choose the "safe" defaults and save as
quickly as possible - then I could go back in and set things piecemeal.
Stupid huh? On my MSI board that tweaked me the longest, but it went away
when I updated the bios... ( well, finally - initial bios version updates
did nothing - I use Corsair DDR400 ) Sigh... The only other things that I
can think of are the CPU fan and the power supply... ( I once had spurious
failures reoccur incessantly, and came to find that I had accidentally
shorted the motherboard usb connector ).

"bloke" wrote in message
On 22/7/04 8:13 PM, in article

,

Old July 23rd 04, 04:51 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:41:52 +0800, bloke wrote:

On 23/7/04 12:54 AM, in article
, "Wes Newell"
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:58:42 +0800, bloke wrote:

This is my first foray into PCs, having been a Mac user for a long time but
tired of paying big prices for hardware :-)

Anyway, on the *advice* of others I purchased a AMD64 2800+ CPU matched with
a Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 motherboard. For two days the machine ran sweet, then
suddenly restarted out of the blue. The machine then either:

A) Powers on, but no start beep, no video
B) I can get to the BIOS screen, reset the BIOS (even reflash it), but does
not restart
C) Freezes after the ram check

What PSU?

Its a 400W model, but I could not tell you the brand. Accordingly to the
supplier, it is a *quality* brand and he stands by it. In saying that, I
have tried another PSU and got the same results.

I've got A Jetway S755MAX and A64 3000+. The 400W psu that powers my not
sold old XP system crashed soon after boot up, when it booted on the 64
system. Replaced it with a 500W noname and all is well. Your problems
sounded ver ysimilar to mine.

I am figuring the CMOS keeps getting corrupted, but unsure what is
actually causing it. I'm leaning towards ram at this stage, but I have
been reading on other forums of people having all sorts of problems with
this board. Unfortunately the supplier is convinced its not the board
:-(

What size was the other PSU you tried? Another 400W? Yep I got cmos
errors. crashes.etc.The one thing I could see when I could get to the PC
health was the flucuation of the voltages and that they would go low. If
that sounds familiar, then....

Old July 24th 04, 10:34 AM
bloke

On 23/7/04 11:51 AM, in article
, "Wes Newell"

wrote:

[...]

Well, I bought an Antec PSU today (450W) and when it is plugged in and
turned on, the PSU cuts out after a second. I figure this is the built in
protection the PSU has against power problems into the PSU and on the board.
I have pulled everything out of the case (thinking there may be a short
somewhere), but the same thing happened. Tried quality (Hynix) ram today
and a different video card. Looks like a stuffed Motherboard!

Any other thoughts?

Seeya

Rod!

Old July 24th 04, 08:32 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:34:38 +0800, bloke wrote:

Well, I bought an Antec PSU today (450W) and when it is plugged in and
turned on, the PSU cuts out after a second. I figure this is the built in
protection the PSU has against power problems into the PSU and on the board.
I have pulled everything out of the case (thinking there may be a short
somewhere), but the same thing happened. Tried quality (Hynix) ram today
and a different video card. Looks like a stuffed Motherboard!

Any other thoughts?

None here. If you got the PSU localy, I might exchange it just to be sure.
Stranger things have happened.

Old July 24th 04, 10:40 PM
Dick McCurdy

bloke wrote:
Hi All!

This is my first foray into PCs, having been a Mac user for a long time but
tired of paying big prices for hardware :-)

Anyway, on the *advice* of others I purchased a AMD64 2800+ CPU matched with
a Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 motherboard. For two days the machine ran sweet, then
suddenly restarted out of the blue. The machine then either:

Ron,
I had a similar problem with an AMD64-3000 and an MSI K8T NEO MB. I
e3vidently had a flakey CPU and after it was replaced, things worked OK.
I also had a problem with the memory and returned it, too. I bought
Crucial brand DDR400 and all is well now.

MacTheKnife