advice on amd64/mobo purchase

Old July 11th 04, 03:48 AM
shodedo

Default advice on amd64/mobo purchase

Hello all, I am looking to spend around $400 on a cpu/motherboard
bundle. I will be running gentoo linux with an nvidia card so I am
assuming a motherboard with an nforce3 250 chipset is preferrable... Are
there any good reasons for spending the extra $50 or so for the 3200+
over the 3000+ (besides just speed)? I would prefer the 3200+ but I
think the extra money I'd save from buying the 3000+ I could use to buy
more ram. any constructive comments are appreciated, thanks
Old July 11th 04, 03:57 AM
Barry Walsh

shodedo wrote:
Hello all, I am looking to spend around $400 on a cpu/motherboard
bundle. I will be running gentoo linux with an nvidia card so I am
assuming a motherboard with an nforce3 250 chipset is preferrable... Are
there any good reasons for spending the extra $50 or so for the 3200+
over the 3000+ (besides just speed)? I would prefer the 3200+ but I
think the extra money I'd save from buying the 3000+ I could use to buy
more ram. any constructive comments are appreciated, thanks

I'm currently running Gentoo 64bit on an Nforce 3 150 chipset and a 3200
with a meg of cache. I've seen it repeatedly claimed that the meg of
cache should considerably improve compile times, but I've seen no real
results anywhere to prove that. If you do go for the 3200 make sure it's
the 2GHz version with a meg of cache rather than the 2.2GHz and 512Kb.
Old July 11th 04, 04:36 AM
Bojo

Go to newegg.com

CHAINTECH "VNF3-250" nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754
CPU - RETAIL
Item# N82E16813152043 $88.00

AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - Retail
Item# N82E16819103424 $223.00

Total $311.00

Old July 11th 04, 05:25 AM
Hellmark

shodedo's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
we
Hello all, I am looking to spend around $400 on a cpu/motherboard
bundle. I will be running gentoo linux with an nvidia card so I am
assuming a motherboard with an nforce3 250 chipset is preferrable... Are
there any good reasons for spending the extra $50 or so for the 3200+
over the 3000+ (besides just speed)? I would prefer the 3200+ but I
think the extra money I'd save from buying the 3000+ I could use to buy
more ram. any constructive comments are appreciated, thanks

well, Speed is about the only reason why one would go with a faster CPU.

Personally, I'd get the faster CPU now, and get more ram later. Thats what
I am doing.
Old July 11th 04, 01:40 PM
Ben Pope

shodedo wrote:
Hello all, I am looking to spend around $400 on a cpu/motherboard
bundle. I will be running gentoo linux with an nvidia card so I am
assuming a motherboard with an nforce3 250 chipset is preferrable... Are

Linux support for nForce platform is much better than it used to be, but I
think it's advisable to add:
apic=off noacpi (or should that be noapic acpi=off?).

there any good reasons for spending the extra $50 or so for the 3200+
over the 3000+ (besides just speed)? I would prefer the 3200+ but I
think the extra money I'd save from buying the 3000+ I could use to buy
more ram. any constructive comments are appreciated, thanks

Depends how much RAM you have, how much you're gonna need (based on what you
do with the machine) and how much the components are gonna cost you, I
suppose.

I would recommend a 1GB of RAM for Windows gaming machines, and any
development machine.

Ben

Old July 11th 04, 03:31 PM
cheap_bastard

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:48:37 -0400, shodedo
wrote:

Hello all, I am looking to spend around $400 on a cpu/motherboard
bundle. I will be running gentoo linux with an nvidia card so I am
assuming a motherboard with an nforce3 250 chipset is preferrable... Are
there any good reasons for spending the extra $50 or so for the 3200+
over the 3000+ (besides just speed)? I would prefer the 3200+ but I
think the extra money I'd save from buying the 3000+ I could use to buy
more ram. any constructive comments are appreciated, thanks

I'm not sure what the speeds are for the 3000 and the 3200, but
sometimes AMD calls the same speed cpu a higher level due to a larger
cache size. I think I'd pass on the 3200 if it's only a 3000 with a
larger cache.

They say you can overclock the nforce3 250 boards really high, so pick
up the fastest memory you can get, eg PC4000 or higher.

I think MSI has a nice nforce3 250Gb motherboard out.

Mobo advice Ricky Romaya General 2 December 19th 04 11:12 PM
Question concerning which motherboard to purchase Jimmy Jim General 13 November 15th 04 02:45 PM
advice re computer purchase vjay General 3 March 30th 04 07:08 AM
Computer Buying Advice [email protected] General 5 September 3rd 03 07:58 AM
Laptop Purchase Advice Gene Brabston General 3 August 9th 03 10:47 PM