Which OS

Old July 5th 04, 10:41 PM
Jason Cothran

"Steven Kinch" wrote in message
news
snip

| Now I understand that
| XP 64 or whatever it will be called will be released on an OEM basis only
| so I cannot get it without lying my self to hell and back. What the
f"*&%...

snip

Microsoft's only requirement for legally purchasing an OEM copy of it's
software in the past has always been you only have to buy a piece of
hardware ... ANY hardware, right down to a $2 cable. Some places try to
require you buy a motherboard, hard drive, or any other variety of
components. That is not Microshaft's fauilt though. I poersonally like the
fact it will be OEM only. It will save me a good bit of money.

Old July 5th 04, 10:55 PM
Steven Kinch

Default Which OS

OK. What are you all using? When I was on a 32 bit system I dual booted
windows XP (and over the years all of its predecessors) and various
flavours of linux.

I now have and AMD 64 chip and 1 gig of ram and Mandrake 10 works like a
dream.

Windows is alright performance wise but obviously not much faster than it
was on an old AMD XP chip (I am not a Windoze fan). Now I understand that
XP 64 or whatever it will be called will be released on an OEM basis only
so I cannot get it without lying my self to hell and back. What the f"*&%...

so what are you all using to get the best out of these expensive and very
impressive chips?
Old July 5th 04, 10:59 PM
James

so if it was retail and OEM, you'd buy the retail and spend more money, but
if its only OEM, you like that cause its going to save you money?
dumbass
.. .

Old July 5th 04, 11:16 PM
Pseudo Namen

"rstlne" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
so if it was retail and OEM, you'd buy the retail and spend more money,

but
if its only OEM, you like that cause its going to save you money?
dumbass

Lol..
Good point ..
Sometimes OEM only doesnt mean it will even make it into the market..
Sometimes OEM means that it will only go to their top players (dell, hp,
ect)

Not true. Also, if you own a version of Windows XP, Microsoft is talkig
about letting you trade your 32bit license for the 64bit one.

Here is the low down:

Subject: Update from the Product Management team
From: "Brian Marr \(MSFT\)" Sent: 6/11/2004
3:11:12 PM

Hi Everyone -

My name is Brian Marr and I work in the Windows Client Product Management
Team - I am the product manager for Windows XP64, which means that I am
responsible for making the decisions that will affect how you get your hands
on the product (along with a few other things).

I've been reading these threads and wanted to clarify some things about
availability. Below is a summary of what we have planned. I hope this will
answer your questions.

BETA PROGRAMSz
Today we have a customer preview program, which it sounds as though most of
you have taken advantage of. I realize that we have a very old build out
there and I'm working with our release management team to get an update out
asap. I think you are going to be impressed by how much work our
development team has put into the OS since Beta 1 and look forward to
hearing your feedback on it.

There is also a technical beta program - my understanding is that we'll open
this back up again after XP SP2 ships. This is a great way to get builds
more often, but there are some requirements around filing bugs etc that
you'll be responsible for.

FINAL RELEASE
Now to the big question - what happens when this product releases? Here is
what we have planned:

1. The OS will be available on some new OEM PCs. No surprise there .
The OEMs are responsible for deciding which systems they want to support it
on.

2. The OS will be part of MSDN

3. The OS will be part of Software Assurance

4. The OS will be sold through System Builders and Distributors.
You can either purchase it pre-installed on a system builder PC or just
purchase the OS with some piece of hardware. As Darrell mentioned on
another thread, this can really be anything (a cable, for example). If your
system builder of choice wants to only sell it with high-end components, I'd
suggest finding a new place to buy your equipment.

5. There will not be a retail fully-packaged product.
I've read some interesting posts here where some of you sound angry because
we're not doing a retail box. This really surprises me - SB/Disti is the
easiest and least expensive way to get your new OS, especially if you build
your own PCs.

"EXISTING 64-BIT SYSTEMS..."
Finally - I am working on something that would let you trade your 32-bit XP
Pro license for 64-bit. Nothing final here... no details... but the point
is that we want to take care of the people who go out and buy or build x64
systems before we ship.

At the end of the day my colleagues and I work on this project for a
reason - we (you and I) are the people driving the transition into the next
phase in computing. Our job isn't to squeeze money from your pockets or
make this hard for you - we want to make it *very* easy.

Hopefully consolidating some of this info will help. If you have any other
questions about our plans, feel free to ask. If I can answer them, I will.
Have fun with the OS... I'm looking forward to organizing a friendly game of
64-bit UT04 pre-release with anyone interested sometime soon .

Brian

Old July 6th 04, 01:20 AM
Pseudo Namen

"rstlne" wrote in message
Taken from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...y/default.mspx
"Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 is a new Windows XP operating system
available only on Media Center personal computers. Because of its special
hardware feature requirements, Media Center PCs running Windows XP Media
Center Edition 2004 are available only from Microsoft PC manufacturer
partners."

So your saying they wouldnt do something like....
So .. Yes it does happen...
"Windows XP 64 is a new Windows XP operating system available only on 64
bit
personal computers. Because of its special hardware feature requirements,
64
bit personal computers running Windows XP 64 are available only from
Microsoft PC manufacturer partners.""

You seem to be leaving out the fact that the person in charge of Windows XP
64bit Extended edtion stated that this OS will be available by just
purchasing a 2 dollar cable. Just as I purchased Windows XP Pro OEM with a
3 dollar mouse.

"4. The OS will be sold through System Builders and Distributors.
You can either purchase it pre-installed on a system builder PC or just
purchase the OS with some piece of hardware. As Darrell mentioned on
another thread, this can really be anything (a cable, for example).... "

And you leave out the part about trading the license.

" "EXISTING 64-BIT SYSTEMS..."
Finally - I am working on something that would let you trade your 32-bit XP
Pro license for 64-bit. Nothing final here... no details... but the point
is that we want to take care of the people who go out and buy or build x64
systems before we ship."

I ask why, to the above?

And I close with another quote:

Old July 6th 04, 01:23 AM
rstlne

Taken from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...y/default.mspx
"Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 is a new Windows XP operating system
available only on Media Center personal computers. Because of its special
hardware feature requirements, Media Center PCs running Windows XP Media
Center Edition 2004 are available only from Microsoft PC manufacturer
partners."

So your saying they wouldnt do something like....
So .. Yes it does happen...
"Windows XP 64 is a new Windows XP operating system available only on 64 bit
personal computers. Because of its special hardware feature requirements, 64

Old July 6th 04, 02:28 AM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:55:32 +0000, Steven Kinch wrote:

so what are you all using to get the best out of these expensive and very
impressive chips?

I'm still using Linux, but went back to 32bit version because there's no
64bit flash player yet. I'm still on mdk 9.2 though. I've also got w98
installed. Guess it still works. Haven't used it since I installed it.:-)
Don't own any of the newer versions of win. And don't intend to.

Old July 6th 04, 02:37 AM
Jason Cothran

"James" wrote in message
| so if it was retail and OEM, you'd buy the retail and spend more money,
but
| if its only OEM, you like that cause its going to save you money?
| edit vulgarity

Who ****ed you off enough to spout vulgarities at someone who was just
letting some uninformed person know that OEM only is not a bad thing?

Old July 6th 04, 05:43 PM
James

i end all my posts with dumbass,