OT Win XP woes and AMD64 3200+

Old June 18th 04, 04:18 AM
malcolm

Default OT Win XP woes and AMD64 3200+

hello folks
I did a Motherboard CPU Case transplant to my PC,
I knew windows xp pro would throw a major wobbly,
but thought 'Repair' would get it back to V1.0 state....
I did this last time when upgrading from CPU + mobo from P3 to P4,
and managed to get back up with all progframs settings safe.
anyway tried this with the AMD64 3200+ and Albatron K8X800 Pro2,
and no such luck, total failure, anyway did a clean win98se install,
then tried to upgrade with OEM XP pro, and got winnt32.exe error during
setup!!!
any ideas why this happened! is it sloppy or bad code in the setup or just
my bad luck.
any ideas and suggestions would be gratefuly recieved.
regards malcolm (98se sufferer)

--
[AGB] malcolm
www.geocities.com/malc_hurn

Old June 18th 04, 04:39 AM
Early 2 Riz

"malcolm" wrote in message
[...]

You know you can do a clean install with WinXP OEM, right? If your version
of Windows XP asks for proof of a previous version, you just have to insert
the Win98SE CD when prompted for it. Also, do a full format of NTFS instead
of a quick one, or might have problems down the road.

Old June 19th 04, 05:55 AM
malcolm

"Early 2 Riz" wrote in message
"malcolm" wrote in message
[...]

I tried the clean install, plus NTFS still got the winnt32.exe error.
a friends (try before buy) 2000 also did the same thing.
so stuck with 98se here
regards malcolm

Old June 19th 04, 09:03 AM
Early 2 Riz

Malcom, have you tried posting this to the private Microsoft newsgroup?
There are some real top notch experts there.
http://communities.microsoft.com/new...64bit&slcid=us

I hope this helps.

"malcolm" wrote in message

Old June 19th 04, 04:18 PM
BRanger

I tried the clean install, plus NTFS still got the winnt32.exe error.
a friends (try before buy) 2000 also did the same thing.
so stuck with 98se here
regards malcolm

Malcolm-

This is often a symptom of memory problems. Download Memtest86 and burn a
bootable CD. Run Memtest overnight and see if you're getting memory errors.
It'll run independent of the OS. I've had similar problems when upgrading
to the Athlon 64 and it ended up going away when I used Memtest to help
tweak the memory timing settings.

Good luck.

Old June 19th 04, 08:39 PM
malcolm

"BRanger" wrote in message
I tried the clean install, plus NTFS still got the winnt32.exe error.
a friends (try before buy) 2000 also did the same thing.
so stuck with 98se here
regards malcolm

Malcolm-

This is often a symptom of memory problems. Download Memtest86 and burn a
bootable CD. Run Memtest overnight and see if you're getting memory

errors.
It'll run independent of the OS. I've had similar problems when upgrading
to the Athlon 64 and it ended up going away when I used Memtest to help
tweak the memory timing settings.

Good luck.

thanks that sounds like a good idea
regards malcolm

Old June 20th 04, 06:08 PM
LBJGH

You may want to use a disk utility to remove the partition information
from the HD. When you attempt to install windows XP you will be
prompted to format the HD(quick or full) with fat32 or ntfs.