Future 2 on a chip CPUs

Old June 16th 04, 04:58 PM
the gnome

Default Future 2 on a chip CPUs

AMD are hinting that they are going to produce opterons with 2 CPUs on one
chip.

Does anyone know how many pins they are going to have, 940, 939 or 745ish.

The_gnome

Old June 16th 04, 06:19 PM
Ben Pope

the gnome wrote:
AMD are hinting that they are going to produce opterons with 2 CPUs on one
chip.

Does anyone know how many pins they are going to have, 940, 939 or 745ish.

As far as I know the future is like this:

The Opteron (multiprocessor) platform is 940.

The FX platform will be 939.

No technical reason why the dual cores couldn't appear on any socket
configuration, but I would suspect that the Opterons will be first, then
maybe the FX.

Ben

Old June 16th 04, 09:25 PM
rstlne

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
the gnome wrote:
AMD are hinting that they are going to produce opterons with 2 CPUs on

one
chip.

Does anyone know how many pins they are going to have, 940, 939 or

745ish.

As far as I know the future is like this:

The Opteron (multiprocessor) platform is 940.

The FX platform will be 939.

No technical reason why the dual cores couldn't appear on any socket
configuration, but I would suspect that the Opterons will be first, then
maybe the FX.

Ben

I think the roadmaps actually show that
DualCore opt's first, then DualCore FX's .. and that will be all (for now)..
Their Cheaper lines continue with a single core.. The roadmaps have this
info howver, the OP should visit amd's site and catch up there.

Old June 16th 04, 11:26 PM
Ben Pope

rstlne wrote:
"Ben Pope" wrote in message

No technical reason why the dual cores couldn't appear on any socket
configuration, but I would suspect that the Opterons will be first, then
maybe the FX.

I think the roadmaps actually show that
DualCore opt's first, then DualCore FX's .. and that will be all (for
now).. Their Cheaper lines continue with a single core.. The roadmaps
have this info howver, the OP should visit amd's site and catch up there.

....so my guess was good.

Ben

Old June 17th 04, 12:17 PM
Peter Dickerson

"the gnome" wrote in message
AMD are hinting that they are going to produce opterons with 2 CPUs on one
chip.

Does anyone know how many pins they are going to have, 940, 939 or 745ish.

The_gnome

I can't see a dual core being offered in the 700-odd pin config because that
only has a single channel memory controller. The point of dual core is extra
performance (in the througput sense) and a good memory subsystem is required
for that.

Peter

Old June 17th 04, 01:37 PM
rstlne

"Peter Dickerson" wrote in message
"the gnome" wrote in message
AMD are hinting that they are going to produce opterons with 2 CPUs on

one
chip.

Does anyone know how many pins they are going to have, 940, 939 or

745ish.

The_gnome

I can't see a dual core being offered in the 700-odd pin config because

that
only has a single channel memory controller. The point of dual core is

extra
performance (in the througput sense) and a good memory subsystem is

required
for that.

Peter

yea..
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...map_061404.jpg
it's shown coming in for the FX series and all of the server/workstation
chips moving to it..
From that I would guess 940 pin (or other maybee?) for em..
It does sound intersting however, cause there are now the quad opteron
boards being made with some of the high end home users in mind so this kinda
stuff brings a LOT of power into your house for not that much cost (i'll not
be buying one but I think it's a really intersting thing to watch)

Old June 17th 04, 08:54 PM
Derek Baker

"the gnome" wrote in message
AMD are hinting that they are going to produce opterons with 2 CPUs
on one chip.

Does anyone know how many pins they are going to have, 940, 939 or
745ish.

The_gnome

I can't see a dual core being offered in the 700-odd pin config
because that only has a single channel memory controller. The point
of dual core is extra performance (in the througput sense) and a
good memory subsystem is required for that.

Peter

yea..
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...map_061404.jpg
it's shown coming in for the FX series and all of the
server/workstation chips moving to it..
From that I would guess 940 pin (or other maybee?) for em..
It does sound intersting however, cause there are now the quad opteron
boards being made with some of the high end home users in mind so
this kinda stuff brings a LOT of power into your house for not that
much cost (i'll not be buying one but I think it's a really
intersting thing to watch)

Presumably as it's for the FX it will be socket 939.

--
Derek

Old June 18th 04, 07:13 PM
chuck@sell_intel.com

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:37:16 +0100, "rstlne"
wrote:

yea..
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...map_061404.jpg
it's shown coming in for the FX series and all of the server/workstation
chips moving to it..
From that I would guess 940 pin (or other maybee?) for em..
It does sound intersting however, cause there are now the quad opteron
boards being made with some of the high end home users in mind so this kinda
stuff brings a LOT of power into your house for not that much cost (i'll not
be buying one but I think it's a really intersting thing to watch)

I'll never understand why intel didn't want to sell more dual
processor boards. They must really make a ton of money soaking
business for servers.

As I understand it, the opterons have a killer architecture that makes
interconnecting cores/cpu's very easy and high performance in multi
processor designs.

Old June 18th 04, 07:30 PM
Early 2 Riz

wrote:

yea..
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...map_061404.jpg
it's shown coming in for the FX series and all of the server/workstation
chips moving to it..
From that I would guess 940 pin (or other maybee?) for em..
It does sound intersting however, cause there are now the quad opteron
boards being made with some of the high end home users in mind so this

kinda
stuff brings a LOT of power into your house for not that much cost (i'll

not
be buying one but I think it's a really intersting thing to watch)

I'll never understand why intel didn't want to sell more dual
processor boards. They must really make a ton of money soaking
business for servers.

As I understand it, the opterons have a killer architecture that makes
interconnecting cores/cpu's very easy and high performance in multi
processor designs.

Chuck, Supermicro and Tyan also make dual Xeon processor boards.

Dual CPU 2 CPUS P4 Board with HT = 4 CPus in XP Pro ??? The Other Guy. General 1 December 18th 04 07:08 PM
Max Chip in a Jetway 663AS Motherboard Eska007 Overclocking AMD Processors 0 November 1st 04 11:26 PM
Cheap, used CPU's? Noozer General 4 October 5th 04 02:39 PM
2 cpu on one chip. the gnome AMD x86-64 Processors 5 May 22nd 04 12:54 PM
Valid Points 101: 2x P4 Xeons + Hyperthreading + Windows XP Professional / W2K / NT4 / *Nix (long post!) Duncan, Eric A. General 7 February 3rd 04 05:06 PM