AMD Processors - HELP!

Old June 15th 04, 03:33 AM
Sseaott

Default AMD Processors - HELP!

I have not dumped the idea of getting AMD in my notebook just yet because
I'm still confused about all the processors they make. You know one of the
systems I am interested in is the Compaq Presario 3000 series line. One of
those lines in the 3000Z which features the processor from AMD. OK, go to
the config page for a 3000Z and check out the processors: AMD Athlon(TM)
XP-M 3000+ 1.60 GHz, AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3000+ 1.80 GHz, AMD Athlon(TM) 64
3200+ 2.00 GHz and finally AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3400+ 2.20 GHz What I dont
understand is this. The first processor choice lists as a MOBILE processor,
it's not a 64bit processor but it's an "XP" processor from AMD. The
remaining processors are the 64bit chips but there is no "M" in the title of
the processors. When you click on "help me decide", Compaq tells you the
64bit processors listed there are "designed for mobility", so then why isn't
there a "M" in the title for the 64bit processors? I tried researching this
on amd.com but I'm totally confused with all the processors they have and I
just can't figure it out. The 64bit processors listed for the 3000z model,
are these desktop processors or notebook (mobile) processors? I just can't
figure out if they are mobile, why aren't they titled as such?

Also when configuring a AMD 64bit processor 3000Z verses a mobile P4 at the
3000T model, the price difference for the AMD model is about 300 dollars
less then the mobile p4 model. I thought AMD 64bit chips were more expensive
then Intel's mobile p4 chips? I'm not complaining but I dont want to buy a
cheap processor If anyone can help clarify this I would really appreciate
it. Money is a factor here but if going with AMD will give me a mobile
processor with good battery life between charges and excellent performance
and if it will save me 300 bucks verses going the mobile p4 route, that is
what I want to do...I think?

I wish Compaq was offering the Centrino chip in the 3000 models but for some
reason they are not and once again, I keep swaying away from Dell because I
just don't like their designs in their notebooks. For me, when I buy a
notebook, both performance as well as design are important factors to me, I
want both and will not settle for one or the other.

Thanks.