e-machines & AMD 64

Old April 28th 04, 06:24 AM
Jeffrey Schwartz

Default e-machines & AMD 64

I was in Best Buy last week and I noticed that e-machines were selling
laptops with a mobile version of the AMD 64.

Any comments?

Jeff
Old April 28th 04, 07:39 PM
Philburg2

Uh, emachines suck.... not exactly constructive criticism, but that is
definitely my experience.

Old April 28th 04, 11:17 PM

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:39:49 +0000, Philburg2 wrote:

Uh, emachines suck.... not exactly constructive criticism, but that is
definitely my experience.

In the past, yes they sucked in the extreme, but recently they've been
turning out some nice machines that seem to be well built and well specced.

Their AMD64 laptops that the OP referred to have been well received and
look like good value for money.

Old April 29th 04, 01:42 AM
DougH

In the past, yes they sucked in the extreme, but recently they've been
turning out some nice machines that seem to be well built and well

specced.

Their AMD64 laptops that the OP referred to have been well received and
look like good value for money.

Sounds like an e-Machine employee.

DougH

Old April 29th 04, 02:06 AM
Wayne @ W.

"DougH" wrote in message
In the past, yes they sucked in the extreme, but recently they've been
turning out some nice machines that seem to be well built and well

specced.

Their AMD64 laptops that the OP referred to have been well received and
look like good value for money.

Sounds like an e-Machine employee.

DougH

Naw. What he said was true. E-Machines have gone up in quality since the old
days of Celeron processors and cheap case designs.

Old April 29th 04, 05:03 AM
Jeffrey Schwartz

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:39:49 GMT, "Philburg2"
wrote:

Uh, emachines suck.... not exactly constructive criticism, but that is
definitely my experience.

That's what I've always thought. Now that gateway bought it maybe
quality will be better, or maybe not.

Jeff

.. .

Old May 1st 04, 05:35 AM
BRanger

I think I read that this laptop was built by the same folks who build the
VoodooPC notebooks.

om...

Old May 25th 04, 06:12 AM
eminema

I have an emachines that i got last month. I have the m6805 and i love it!
I booted the suse eval disk and after doing the acpi=off i am able to boot
it fine. I am loving it, Now i want to do a dual boot of linux but i am
looking for a linux that is optimized for amd64. Don't let anyone tell you
that it is crap, because i am enjoying this machine.

BTW does anyone know of a version of linux for amd64? thanks

Old May 25th 04, 08:14 AM
baskitcaise

eminema adjusted his tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear to write:

I have an emachines that i got last month. I have the m6805 and i
love it! I booted the suse eval disk and after doing the acpi=off i am
able to boot
it fine. I am loving it, Now i want to do a dual boot of linux but i
am
looking for a linux that is optimized for amd64. Don't let anyone
tell you that it is crap, because i am enjoying this machine.

BTW does anyone know of a version of linux for amd64? thanks
"Jeffrey Schwartz" wrote in message
I was in Best Buy last week and I noticed that e-machines were
selling laptops with a mobile version of the AMD 64.

Any comments?

Jeff

Suse 9.1 Pro has a 64bit version that comes in the box with the 32bit.

With 9.1 Pro ( got to be Pro not Personal which the live eval is based
on ) you get 5 cd`s ( 32bit ) and 2 X double sided DVD`s side "A" on
both dvd`s is a replication of the 32bit version with the source to all
files and the "B" sides have the same but 64bit versions.

HTH

--
Mark
Iligitimi Non Carborundum!
Old May 25th 04, 01:24 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:12:01 -0700, eminema wrote:

I have an emachines that i got last month. I have the m6805 and i love it!
I booted the suse eval disk and after doing the acpi=off i am able to boot
it fine. I am loving it, Now i want to do a dual boot of linux but i am
looking for a linux that is optimized for amd64. Don't let anyone tell you
that it is crap, because i am enjoying this machine.

BTW does anyone know of a version of linux for amd64? thanks
"Jeffrey Schwartz" wrote in message
I was in Best Buy last week and I noticed that e-machines were selling
laptops with a mobile version of the AMD 64.

Any comments?

Jeff

Mandrake has 64bit versions of Mandrake 9.2 and 10.0 (the 10 is a release
candidate but it's probably the better choice).

FA: 5 Compaq Laptops, all PIII's, LOW PRICES! very good machines, great Xmas gifts!!! TrueAmerican General 0 December 11th 04 05:43 AM
Old compaq machines Julian Hales General 3 October 30th 04 07:27 AM
Visual art disply on older machines... Alien Zord General 4 April 20th 04 10:04 AM
Fruit Machines Pool Tables Arcade Video's 2 [email protected] General 0 June 30th 03 11:34 PM
Fruit Machines Pool Tables Arcade Video's 2 [email protected] Overclocking AMD Processors 0 June 30th 03 11:34 PM