Do you have to have 2 sticks of RAM for the AMD 64 CPU?

Old April 11th 04, 02:44 AM
Wayne Wastier

Default Do you have to have 2 sticks of RAM for the AMD 64 CPU?

I just wanted to make sure that I could use my
old 3500 DDRAM with my new mobo and cpu.

Thank you,
Wayne

Old April 11th 04, 08:13 AM
Povl H. Pedersen

In article , Wayne Wastier wrote:
I just wanted to make sure that I could use my
old 3500 DDRAM with my new mobo and cpu.

The Opteron requires ECC memory, and I think the FX does.
But a plain AMD64 uses standard RAM.
Old April 12th 04, 05:45 AM
Jon Back

Been using a single stick of 3200 Mushkin on an MSI FIS Neo. Works great
and I run the FSB at 215 all day (and night). Don't know that two sticks
would be any better since my AMD64 3000+ only uses a single channel memory
controller. I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.

Old April 13th 04, 08:28 AM
DougH

I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.

Not cheap, just smart. They're too expensive. Besides there are changes
coming soon to the Opteron/FX boards, namely the Socket 939.

DougH

Old April 13th 04, 09:24 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:28:36 +0900, DougH wrote:

I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.

Not cheap, just smart. They're too expensive. Besides there are changes
coming soon to the Opteron/FX boards, namely the Socket 939.

Not for the Opteron. It will still use the 940 and registered ram. The 64
and FX will move to 939.

Old April 13th 04, 01:02 PM
Angry American

Wes Newell wrote:
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:28:36 +0900, DougH wrote:

I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.

Not cheap, just smart. They're too expensive. Besides there are
changes coming soon to the Opteron/FX boards, namely the Socket 939.

Not for the Opteron. It will still use the 940 and registered ram.
The 64 and FX will move to 939.

Only the FX will move to the new socket, the 64 is it's own breed so to
speak.

Dan

Old April 13th 04, 09:56 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:02:38 -0500, Angry American wrote:

Wes Newell wrote:
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:28:36 +0900, DougH wrote:

I'm too cheap for Opteron or FX.

Not cheap, just smart. They're too expensive. Besides there are
changes coming soon to the Opteron/FX boards, namely the Socket 939.

Not for the Opteron. It will still use the 940 and registered ram.
The 64 and FX will move to 939.

Only the FX will move to the new socket, the 64 is it's own breed so to
speak.

That's not what I read. The A64 3700+ is the last cpu scheduled for socket
754. All others will be on 939. Athlon XP's are also moving to 754
according to this for some strange reason.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1985

Old April 14th 04, 01:33 AM
Paul

running 2 x 1 GB sticks in a NEO FSR. Even runs XP64bit

"Wayne Wastier" wrote in message
I just wanted to make sure that I could use my
old 3500 DDRAM with my new mobo and cpu.

Thank you,
Wayne

---

Sony USB2 memory sticks Zotin Khuma General 2 October 5th 04 10:50 PM
Can you mix PC133 & PC100 RAM together? Ablang General 11 May 1st 04 03:11 AM
Looking for cheap, used 128 MB non-ECC SDRAM sticks SKCC General 0 January 20th 04 05:44 AM
Mouse Ball Sticks Bill General 4 September 20th 03 06:47 AM
Which Memory? Roy Coorne General 3 August 15th 03 03:59 AM