HP Insight Manager 4.1 help on Compaq 6500R servers

Old October 7th 04, 06:01 AM
larry

Default HP Insight Manager 4.1 help on Compaq 6500R servers

Hello,
We are having trouble configuring the software to manage our Servers and UPS
..
We are running 3 Compaq ProLiant 6500r quad xeon pIII servers and a Compaq
UPS
Model R3000H-NA(208v-240v) with Compaq Multi-Server Card 123 508-B21
installed.
The operating system for all 3 servers is Windows Server 2003 standard.

The UPS group controller has HP Insight Manager 4.1 Service Pack 1, Compaq
Power
Manager 2.02, and the latest Compaq ProLiant Support pack for Windows
Server 2003 installed. The other two group members have Compaq Power Manager
2.02, and the latest Compaq ProLiant Support pack for Windows Server 2003
installed.

From the HP Systems Insight Manager 4.1 I see there are 3 servers, but I
cannot
view any details of their operation, nor can I gain access by changing any
security
settings I am aware of. The Compaq Power Management Icon in the quick launch
Toolbar
Shows that the UPS is communicating with the Servers, but that is the only
info I am
receiving that would indicate anything is working at all.

Our goal is to have the servers shutdown when the power fails and then start
back up automatically when power is restored.As well as be able to manage
all
three servers with HP Systems Insight Manager 4.1 Service Pack 1.

We are pretty sure that there is some security issues involved, because we
cannot access
information from the SQL database that was setup and used by Insight
Manager. Is there a bug
in that particular version? HP/Compaq has been reluctant to provide any help
and we've
searched the HP/Compaq site and Googled our heart out searching for related
answers.

Any suggestions on how we can make this happen?

Thanks!

Larry
Skagit Media
www.skagitmedia.com

Old October 7th 04, 09:13 PM
Nut Cracker

Have you installed LanSafe III any of these servers? I believe that gives
you comprehensive information about the state and function of the UPS
itself. Its been a long, long time since i have used this, but it may give
you the conditional control you are looking for.

Its sounds like with the use of your multi-server card, you dont have the
Group Master and Slave configuration to worry about.

Also, do you have SNMP SETs enabled on the servers, and does your community
string have READ_WRITE permissions? I believe that the Power Management
Agents interpret an SNMP SET, and initiate the server shutdown. It is left
in a state whereby when the power is restored to the server, it will come
back online. The UPS then cuts power to the entire channel block (i think
the R3000 has 3 power channels). When the AC power is restored to the UPS,
it then activates the UPS channel, and the servers come back online
auctomatically.

- LC

.
We are running 3 Compaq ProLiant 6500r quad xeon pIII servers and a Compaq
UPS
Model R3000H-NA(208v-240v) with Compaq Multi-Server Card 123 508-B21
installed.
The operating system for all 3 servers is Windows Server 2003 standard.

The UPS group controller has HP Insight Manager 4.1 Service Pack 1, Compaq
Power
Manager 2.02, and the latest Compaq ProLiant Support pack for Windows
Server 2003 installed. The other two group members have Compaq Power

Manager
2.02, and the latest Compaq ProLiant Support pack for Windows Server 2003
installed.

From the HP Systems Insight Manager 4.1 I see there are 3 servers, but I

Old October 8th 04, 03:06 AM
Larry

"Nut Cracker" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the reply "Nut Cracker". I kinda thought you'd have a plan of
attack :-)

We'll digest your suggestions and get back with the results.

Thanks! Larry

Old October 8th 04, 04:17 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

"Larry" wrote in message

[...]

Its my honor to serve

Old October 13th 04, 02:24 AM
Tonyrae

Nutcracker,

Thanks for tips on how to correct our Compaq Server UPS problem. We digested
your suggestions and have additional information.

We are running HP Systems Insight Manager 4.1 SP1. And The Latest Compaq
Server Pack for Windows Server 2003 which includes the latest Compaq Power
Management Software Ver. 1.8. Are you familiar with these?

HP Insight Manager 7.1 has been discontinued and Lansafe III is not
compatible with Windows Server 2003. Our installation of Insight 4.1 is
using a SQL Server Db stored on our Data Server. We are running a Workgroup
based network. SNMP Community read and writes are enabled on all three
servers. However, I do not see where to determine if SNMP Sets are enabled
in Win Server 2003. Any idea where I would look for this?

The main problem with the setup of this software appears to be security. I
have trouble viewing detailed system information on the three servers from
Various links in Insight Manager 4.1. Among these is the Compaq Power
Management Section Of Insight. Is there a way to fix these data access and
security issues or do we have to completely remove every trace of the
software and start over? And if we have to remove all traces of the software
how is that done? I have tried this before and there were still pieces left
of the previous installation when I did this.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM
Compaq R3000 UPS and Insight Manager? David K Compaq Servers 0 February 11th 04 05:01 PM
Compaq R3000 UPS and Insight Manager? David K Compaq Computers 1 February 9th 04 05:14 PM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM