MS Dos driver for smart array

Old July 7th 04, 03:30 AM
John

Default MS Dos driver for smart array

Hi,
Where can I download Compaq smart array 5i raid controller MS DOS Driver?
I'm trying to make a Ghost image of windows 2003 server installed on my
compaq DL380 G2 Server but I can't find a MS Dos driver for Smart array 5i
controller. Any help would appreciated. Thank you

Old July 7th 04, 05:07 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

that controller supports the int13 call, so you shouldnt need a dos driver
for the controller. if you have a formatted disk that is readable by dos
(ie, not NTFS), you should see it. But, why have a server without NTFS, i
know... i know.

what you really need is a dos network boot disk so you can run ghost over a
network. have ghost on a CD, but put the image file that is created on a
share on another server someplace. that is what I have done for years.

Also, there are better ways to build a server than to ghost it. I am a big
fan of the unattend myself, or do an assisted ingrated install. same
principle, but it includes all the HPaq stuff from a repository. you can
still edit the cmdlines.txt file so that it installs all your other apps
(like adobe, anti virus, winrar, nero, etc...)

-LC

. ..

Old July 7th 04, 05:56 AM
John

Thank you so much for your reply.
BTW, with int13, I'll be able to detect RAID 5 logical drive with bootable
DOS? I'll try it tomorrow but how it's going to work?
thanks,

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message
news
that controller supports the int13 call, so you shouldnt need a dos driver
for the controller. if you have a formatted disk that is readable by dos
(ie, not NTFS), you should see it. But, why have a server without NTFS, i
know... i know.

what you really need is a dos network boot disk so you can run ghost over

network. have ghost on a CD, but put the image file that is created on a
share on another server someplace. that is what I have done for years.

Also, there are better ways to build a server than to ghost it. I am a big
fan of the unattend myself, or do an assisted ingrated install. same
principle, but it includes all the HPaq stuff from a repository. you can
still edit the cmdlines.txt file so that it installs all your other apps
(like adobe, anti virus, winrar, nero, etc...)

-LC

. ..

Old July 7th 04, 02:02 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

Yes. the controller will abstract the array config so that any volumes on
the controller will appear as a logical drive.

Newer versions of ghost have the ability to read into the NTFS partition.
You can also get a dos mode NTFS driver (for read only) called NTFSDOS
(google on that) should you need it. If you want the read-write version,
there is a fee.

- LC

"John" wrote in message
m...
[...]