Need Help with Prosignia 500

Old December 22nd 03, 04:35 PM
Ryan Tremblay

Default Need Help with Prosignia 500

I have a 150Mhz Prosignia 500 server that I got from work (they got rid of
it) and it has a HP Surestore Tape 6000 drive in it which I have been using.
Now I am having trouble getting it to read tapes. I went to HP's website
and downloaded new firmware for the tape drive but when I run it in DOS I
get no ASPI Manager I downloaded the FWS2ASPI.sys from compaq so it would
detect the board and the drives (CD ROM is SCSI also) it finds everything
OKbut the firmware program still says NO ASPI Manager. It says something
about HBA in the readme of the firmware readme but I don't know what that
means. If anyone knows of another ASPI Manager I can use with my computer
that would let the program update my firmware I would appreciate it.

Ryan

Old December 22nd 03, 05:02 PM
nut cracker

from DOS ????

eeeewwww

HBA usually means Host Bus Adapter. This can range from some SCSI card...
and more recently has become syonymous with Fibre Channel controllers.

LC

Old January 16th 04, 02:19 PM
Gereon Wenzel

Hi Ryan,

"Ryan Tremblay" wrote in message ...
I have a 150Mhz Prosignia 500 server that I got from work (they got rid of
it) and it has a HP Surestore Tape 6000 drive in it which I have been using.
Now I am having trouble getting it to read tapes. I went to HP's website
and downloaded new firmware for the tape drive but when I run it in DOS I
get no ASPI Manager I downloaded the FWS2ASPI.sys from compaq so it would
detect the board and the drives (CD ROM is SCSI also) it finds everything
OKbut the firmware program still says NO ASPI Manager. It says something
about HBA in the readme of the firmware readme but I don't know what that
means. If anyone knows of another ASPI Manager I can use with my computer
that would let the program update my firmware I would appreciate it.

As stated before HBA means Host bus adapter.
The scsi drivers you downloaded are correct for this machine.
The Prosignia 500 uses an NCR53C710 SCSI chipset which isn't very
common apart from Compaq machines.
The fault is on the HP flashing software which may work with an
adaptec controller and adaptec ASPI drivers only?
Hp used to build their onboard SCSI around adaptec chips, while Compaq
preferred NCR (Symbios) for quite some time.
If you (temporary) install an Adaptec it will possibly work?
The 174x and 274x EISA Adapter are usually availiable very cheap of
epay,
and enable you to use the onboard SCSI exclusive for the HDD for
increased performance.

Gereon Wenzel