Presario overheating with mem upgrade

Old August 15th 03, 08:02 PM
news.shore.net

Default Presario overheating with mem upgrade

I have had the Presario 715 US for about a year and it has been working very
well. This week I purchased a PNY PC133 256MB mem upgrade to give me a
total of 512 (32 shared with video). Since I installed the update I have
noticed that the laptop has been running very warm and crashes about once
every hour to 45 minutes.

Naturally I removed the chip and it seems to be behaving normally, but I was
wondering if anyone else has heard of issues where adding more memory causes
the system to crash. I just don't want to go through the hassle of sending
this chip back to the Internet retailer for a swap if I know that it is not
going to work in the end.

Old August 17th 03, 01:29 AM
Quaoar

news.shore.net wrote:
I have had the Presario 715 US for about a year and it has been
working very well. This week I purchased a PNY PC133 256MB mem
upgrade to give me a total of 512 (32 shared with video). Since I
installed the update I have noticed that the laptop has been running
very warm and crashes about once every hour to 45 minutes.

Naturally I removed the chip and it seems to be behaving normally,
but I was wondering if anyone else has heard of issues where adding
more memory causes the system to crash. I just don't want to go
through the hassle of sending this chip back to the Internet retailer
for a swap if I know that it is not going to work in the end.

If the HD is severely fragmented, the addition of the RAM makes for a
twice-larger pagefile, 1.125GB or so and larger power requirements to
handle the disk-thrashing to maintain the pagefile. If you have not
done so yet, Run Disk Cleanup followed by Defragmenter and see if the
heating is mitigated.

Old August 18th 03, 11:28 PM
John Edward Scott

"news.shore.net" wrote in message
I have had the Presario 715 US for about a year and it has been working

very
well. This week I purchased a PNY PC133 256MB mem upgrade to give me a
total of 512 (32 shared with video). Since I installed the update I have
noticed that the laptop has been running very warm and crashes about once
every hour to 45 minutes.

Naturally I removed the chip and it seems to be behaving normally, but I

was
wondering if anyone else has heard of issues where adding more memory

causes
the system to crash. I just don't want to go through the hassle of

sending
this chip back to the Internet retailer for a swap if I know that it is

not
going to work in the end.

Hiya,

Take a look at a thread I wrote a while back titled "Compaq Presario 700
laptop overheating (Problem Solved?), it might just be related to your
problem.

Hope this helps,

John.

Old August 22nd 03, 03:35 AM
Alan Kerr

There was a patch for some models to alter the temperature that the fan
turns on at so they would run cooler. Check the Compaq (HP) website and see
if this is for your model

Alan

"Fogbottom" wrote in message
In article
"news.shore.net" wrote:

I have had the Presario 715 US for about a year and it has

been working very
well. This week I purchased a PNY PC133 256MB mem upgrade to

give me a
total of 512 (32 shared with video). Since I installed the

update I have
noticed that the laptop has been running very warm and crashes

about once
every hour to 45 minutes.

Naturally I removed the chip and it seems to be behaving

normally, but I was
wondering if anyone else has heard of issues where adding more

memory causes
the system to crash. I just don't want to go through the

hassle of sending
this chip back to the Internet retailer for a swap if I know

that it is not
going to work in the end.

I got a Presario 1700 about two years ago.

A few months ago, it started crashing (no memry change, but it
had always gotten pretty hot).

I suspected, and replaced, the hard drive, but that didn't help.

I've pointed my destop fan at the computer, and it hasn't
crashed since. The computer is nice and cool to the touch, too.

I'm speculating that Compaq just didn't do a very good job with
the internal fan (which is functional, btw).