New Compaq: What files can I get rid of?

Old August 7th 03, 04:44 AM
JIM HUNTER

Default New Compaq: What files can I get rid of?

This is my first new computer.What advice can you all give as to what I can
clean off of the computer before I get started loading my junk on it?

In the Add/Remove programs window,I have deleted AOL, Money 2002, Money
2002 System pack and Works 6.0(I will reinstall my old Office 2000--is
there any reason I should keep Works?). The rest of the programs look like
keepers except what is the 401MB Setup Compaq Software Programs? If I don't
install it, do I keep it on the Harddrive?

Those are all the programs shown in the add/delete window.

In addition, looking at the programs, I see Windows Messenger, MSN Explorer
and Encarta which I don't use and will probably delete

That is about the limit of my knowledge. What other things that are hidden to
me should I be looking to delete. Are there things that I need to be looking
at or is the above about all?

Thanks for your input,

Jim.

Old August 7th 03, 02:11 PM

In article ,
says...
[...]

hi. the 1st link below has been helpful in id'ing which programs do
whatand are important to keep running, "task list" will expose many
unneededprograms. a prog. called task manager helps me id which progs.
run atany given time. i've seen tweek XP around but have never used it
sincei'm still running ME. i think you can type in - msconfig - in the
start-up/run in Xp to disable unneeded programs, it works for 98 amd ME
anyway.
i think some programs are interconnected and its safer to disable them
through the start-run- "msconfig" avenue than just unstalling or
deleating them all together. i remember unstalling some program (honestly
can't remember) after a complete reformat/install of ME, and M$ Works
wouldn't work correctly. i did find out how to dig out the needed file
from "E" partition, but it took some hrs. to find the file. i'll post
another link to compaq that i've found to be helpful before. i don't
blame you for wanting to get rid of all the "garbage" that seems to be
forced on the "owner" of the new machine. sorta makes ya wonder who
really owns the damn pc after all. ;-) anyway, i got my resources up to
93% after full boot-up by removing the programs i and many others have
absolutely no need for. good luck.

train

http://www.answersthatwork.com/home_page.htm

http://h30132.www3.hp.com/servlet/Pr...1&RPAGEID=105&
RHIDETAG=TRUE&UQUESTION_0=how+do+i+identify+unneed +programs+and+remove+th
em&UQUESTION_S=0

http://h30132.www3.hp.com/servlet/Pr...=121&RPAGEID=0
Old August 9th 03, 08:55 AM
the yeti

Delete everything.

Install Linux.

Live M$ Free.

Far Cry Glitch Ati Videocards 14 June 30th 05 11:47 PM
novice asks - Installing a scanner John McGaw General 8 September 20th 04 05:19 PM
novice asks - Installing a scanner Noozer Homebuilt PC's 7 September 20th 04 05:19 PM
Microtek scanner made my PC unusable. Robert Clark Scanners 5 June 22nd 04 10:46 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 1st 03 09:24 PM