Installing new drive

Old August 4th 03, 07:31 PM
Tony Williams

Default Installing new drive

Can someone (probably HH?) point me in the direction of instructions on how
to install a new hard drive in a Desktop 4000. Following my previous post I
downloaded the softpaq and diagnostics discs but the diagnostics don't seem
to work I keep getting message saying cant find NTdll and asking to insert
new disc. I thought the diagnostic was a bootable disc. The disc I am
installing is a Maxtor which says on it Cable Select jumper installed does
this mean I can't use it with ordinary IDE cables?
I really need some ABC help here I'm not used to Compaq PC's with their
special boot configuration
TIA

--
Tony Williams

Old August 4th 03, 07:49 PM
HH

As long as the cable is a cable select compatible cable. Is the new HD
already partitioned and formatted?
Is it a Presario?
HH

Old August 4th 03, 07:58 PM
Mike Calkins

Clear the BIOS, and if their is an external NIC in a slot, remove it. It
may be looking to boot off of the network.

Mike in Houston

Old August 4th 03, 08:06 PM
Tony Williams

Thanks Mike how do I clear the BIOS there doesn't seem to be any jumpers and
the bios battery looks as if its soldered to the contacts. Sorry its a
Deskpro not Presario
Tony
igy.com...

Old August 4th 03, 08:14 PM
Mike Calkins

Jumper settings are on a sticker, usually on the underside of the cover.
It is also usually the jumper closest to the battery on the motherboard.

When in doubt, make careful notation (or digital photo) of the current
jumper settings. Then, pull the jumpers, wait 5 minutes, and return them to
the SAME locations.

Serial number posted could get you more precise information.

Mike in Houston

Old August 4th 03, 08:25 PM
Jack H

Tony, a couple of days ago, I helped a friend install a 30 gig Maxtor hard
drive, into a model 5304 Compaq. This computer is probably several years
old. The new hard drive was to eventually be used as the master. To transfer
the existing files from the original hard drive, we set the new hd jumper to
cable select and connected the IDE cable as the slave. The old hd was
jumpered as Cable Select and the cable was installed as the master. We
inserted the CD that came with the new drive and chose to make the new hd
bootable, and then to copy all of the old hd to the new hd. When the copying
was finished we rebooted to the old hd. We verified that the old files had
been copyed to the new hd. We then shut down the computer and changed the
IDE cables on the both hd to make the new hd the master and the old hd the
slave. We rebooted and the computer would not boot. We tried changing the
jumpers and cables to use the master and slave system, it still did not
boot. We talked to two different Maxtor Techs, both were evidently having a
bad hair day. The next day we reformatted the new hd, and used the Maxtor CD
making the same selections as we chose the day before. This time it worked
perfectly.
My suggestion would be to call the Maxtor Tech before you start for step by
step instrutions, particularly how to jumper both harddrives , you will have
to chose between the cable select system or the old master/slave setup.

Old August 4th 03, 08:37 PM
donut

"Tony Williams" wrote in
:

The disc I am
installing is a Maxtor which says on it Cable Select jumper installed
does this mean I can't use it with ordinary IDE cables?

My Presario supposedly is set up to use Cable Select, but in practice, the
results are unpredictable.

Go with the tried and true Master/Slave arrangement and you can't go wrong.
Old August 5th 03, 10:40 AM
Tony Williams

HH Is it possible to delete the hidden partition on the c drive and get the
PC to boot up as a "normal" PC If I formatted the new drive on another
machine as Format /s would it boot to the C:\ command?
Tony
. ..

Old August 5th 03, 12:45 PM
Tony Williams

This is driving me NUTS! I have created diagnostic and startup discs I have
formatted the new drive but the diagnostic disk wont boot I get a message
that says Non system disk replace disk
What am I doing wrong? The diagnostic disk will boot with the old disk in
but not the new
Should the new be formatted and partitioned? I've followed the instructions
from the Compaq site but I still cant get it to work. I'm slowly loosing
control. Can ANYONE HELP??????
Tony