hi all...

Old July 17th 03, 03:17 AM
Sam

Default hi all...

Thanks for the reply yeti, actually the nic is identified as a compaq
device, I did an install of win2000 to see if that would make any difference
and it identified the unknown device as SMC IrCC- Fast Infrared
Port.......the darn thing is I still can't get online with the notebook :-(

--
Regards.
Sam.
"the yeti" wrote in message
om...
"Sam" wrote in message

I have a Compaq Armada 1700 PII 233 notebook which has an 'unknown

device'
listed in Device Manager. I have tried to get Compaq Diagnostic to

identify
the item with no luck, is there another way to get Windows 98SE to

properly
identify this item? The reason for this is I can't get online with this
notebook via the base station where the NIC card is installed.

I don't have any expierence with base stations, so take this all with
a grain of salt.

So, in the device manager you do not have a Network Adapter identifing
your NIC card?
If not, then the unknown device is probally your NIC on the base
station. You need to find out the manufactuer and chipset of the NIC
and download the drivers. Then you should be all set. You can check
Compaq's website to see if a NIC came stock in that base station and
if drivers are available. You can also take the NIC out and look it
up by its FCC ID #.

Old July 17th 03, 05:33 AM
David

Is this a Convenience Base or Convenience Base II? If so, it's probably only
got a 10mpbs nic in it unless it's been upgraded (slooow). You may want to
just get a 10/100 pc card nic for your laptop instead. That way you won't
need your base for networking. No conflicts showing right? Try disabling the
infrared port in the docked profile just for good measure and see if that
does anything. If you get a new nic, be sure to disable the base's nic in
the docked profile too. Good luck.

David

"Sam" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply yeti, actually the nic is identified as a compaq
device, I did an install of win2000 to see if that would make any

difference
and it identified the unknown device as SMC IrCC- Fast Infrared
Port.......the darn thing is I still can't get online with the notebook

:-(

--
Regards.
Sam.
"the yeti" wrote in message
om...

Old July 17th 03, 04:08 PM
Sam

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what version the base is, I
like the idea of adding a new nic. I will also disable the infra red port.
Thanks again.

--
Regards.
Sam.

"Sam" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply yeti, actually the nic is identified as a compaq
device, I did an install of win2000 to see if that would make any

difference
and it identified the unknown device as SMC IrCC- Fast Infrared
Port.......the darn thing is I still can't get online with the notebook

:-(

--
Regards.
Sam.
"the yeti" wrote in message
om...

Old July 17th 03, 10:49 PM
the yeti

"David" wrote in message ...
Is this a Convenience Base or Convenience Base II? If so, it's probably only
got a 10mpbs nic in it unless it's been upgraded (slooow). You may want to
just get a 10/100 pc card nic for your laptop instead. That way you won't
need your base for networking. No conflicts showing right? Try disabling the
infrared port in the docked profile just for good measure and see if that
does anything. If you get a new nic, be sure to disable the base's nic in
the docked profile too. Good luck.

David

He says the issue is he can't get online, but that the NIC is
identified. A 10mbps NIC is fine for online, as most internet
connections top out at 1.5 mbps. Even small file transfers over a
network at that speed is not all that bad. If he tries transferring
movies accross the network, then 10mbps sucks.

I would try to see if the Laptop wil connect to the 'net without the
base station. Get a PCMCMIA NIC, or a USB 10/100 NIC (that will run
at 11mbps)and connect that way.
Old July 18th 03, 02:29 PM
Sam

Thanks for the suggestion folks, I'll be purchasing a PCMCMIA card shortly
and will post whether it solves the problem or not.

--
Regards.
Sam.
"the yeti" wrote in message