freezing Presario 710US

Old July 6th 03, 10:20 AM
Rob King

Default freezing Presario 710US

"Dillon Family" wrote in message
I've know there has been a problem with certain notebook computers (like

the
Presario) freezing up when a particular MS Hotfix is applied
(317...something or other I think...it's well-documented). I had this
problem several months ago; removed the Hotfix and everything was fine.

Lately I started having the problem again. I uninstalled all the hotfixes

had installed (didn't install the bad one, by the way), but still got the
freeze ups (had to hard boot...no control-alt-delete). Thought I was
looking at a reformat and reinstall anyway, so I decided to go for broke,
and install XP Service Pack 1.

Everything went fine, but after a while, I continued to have the freeze

ups.
I also read that some of these computers run hot with more than 256 MB or
ram. My machine is running XP Home with 384 MB of ram, so I took a 128 MB
stick out to see what happens. So far, so good. Has anyone else had this
freezing problem, and what worked for you? Thanks for your help.

Yup, with a 711AU. It's in the shop being fixed for the 4th time now and
it's getting beyond a joke really. To be fair this is the first time we've
taken it back for the freezing problem.

It randomly freezes either with just no response or a complete meltdown
followed by spontaneous reboot. Funny that I should use the word meltdown,
because that's how hot it is underneath when it happens. Every fan in the
thing whirs into life and then it dies.

Ironic that it should be called "freezing".

IMO, the cooling systems in the 700 series are just badly designed. I had a
Toshiba Satellite (PIII600) and I could run it for 12 hours a day non-stop
and it never missed a beat. Yeah it got hot, but not enouhg to cause any
problems.

Windows Xp freezing Bun Mui Cdr 16 October 13th 04 03:10 PM
Memtest-86 v3.1 freezing with ASUS P3B-F 440BX Lucky L. Asus Motherboards 9 June 16th 04 05:28 AM
Games freezing = power/temp troubles? Mitchua General 30 September 20th 03 05:39 PM
Games freezing = power/temp troubles? Mitchua Homebuilt PC's 30 September 20th 03 05:39 PM
Presario 1250 monitor in Presario 1200? Jaban Compaq Computers 0 July 5th 03 12:10 AM