Presario 800 notebook (80XL4) BIOS

Old July 1st 03, 07:20 PM
Scott Masters

Default Presario 800 notebook (80XL4) BIOS

I need someone's help,
I have a Compaq Presario 800 Notebook, model number 80XL4. The hard
drive died and I have replaced it. Unfortunately the BIOS will not
detect any drives in the system. The only thing I can do is boot from
a usb floppy. I can boot with a drive diagnostic disk and it does its
own scan of the bus and sees the hard drive and tests it fine. But
other programs that rely on the BIOS settings can't see it.
After troubleshooting it and talking to Compaq's support people I
have determined that I need to update (or just reflash) the BIOS in
order to get the new drive seen.
This is where I need someone's help. I downloaded the latest BIOS,
SP16190, and extracted the files to my desktop. It is a 2 part
process. It first creates the boot disk to update the Keyboard BIOS
and then it wants you to run a file called Pre80XL.exe. This is
supposed to make the boot disk to flash the BIOS. My problem is that
Pre80XL.exe has to be run on the specific model that the BIOS was made
for, meaning I can only run it on my laptop. To top it off it is a
Windows only program and it will not run under DOS.
Since the BIOS won't see the hard drive and I can't run Windows on
the laptop I have no way to create the boot floppies in order to
update the BIOS. Would someone be willing to create the floppy or
floppies and send me an image of them. I can send a good program for
creating floppy images if someone needs it.
Compaq's tech support tells me to take it to a service center so
this newsgroup is my last hope to fix the system without handing my
wallet over to Compaq.
Thanks for anyones help who can give it.
Old July 5th 03, 10:48 PM
johnnyx

Scott

It is true that if you are replacing the original hard drive with a larger
drive, the BIOS needs to be updated. The softpaq can be made by ANY model
computer, not just the model that it is for. That would be crazy. Most
people don't have multiple models of the same computer (especially a
consumer model). So there must be issues with the other computer you are
using to make the bootable floppy to upgrade the BIOS. Try again on another
machine.

om...

Old July 7th 03, 03:21 PM
Scott

Unfortunately, I have tried that. On several PC's! The extact error I get
is:
"ERROR! In order to make the Rom Upgrade diskette, you need to run this
Softpaq on the correct Compaq Presario Notebook Models. Please check the
Compaq Support Website for Instructions. "
I agree. They would have to be crazy to do something like that. After
talking to Compaq's tech support, they say that there is no way to bypass
the verification process and make the boot disk anyway. I guess the only way
Compaq will let you upgrade your BIOS is if you computer is working already.
They told me my only option was to send it to a repair center.

. ..

Old November 20th 03, 01:40 AM
Chiachen Tsao

Does this update of BIOS to clear BIOS tables? I am not able to locate
SP16190 on Compaq website.

Also found out that Presario 800 series were OEM'd from Mitac, and it's
Mitac M722 series.

Anyone have insight to this please post.

Thanks

Old November 23rd 03, 04:44 PM
Kvasir

If it is flashing the bios/system rom then it has to clear the tables. The
most recent bios for that system is Rompaq:SP17461.exe
Presario 80XL System ROM and Keyboard Controller ROM 2001-05-05
RF.01R2.06R1.07 1.29 MB
@ ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp17001-17500/SP17461.exe

If this guy still needs some images for his bios let me know. I'm sure I
could help him out