Travelmate 800 graphics problems in games

Old May 13th 04, 09:54 PM
Lunch

Default Travelmate 800 graphics problems in games

Hi

I am getting graphics problems when I play Unreal Tournament 2004 and
Battlefield Vietnam. The problem is that seemingly random areas of random
size and shape flicker very briefly. Only a small proportion of the overall
screen size is affected and the flicker corrects itself very quickly so the
games are still playable, but the effect is annoying. I guess it's a driver
issue, but the ATI web site doesn't supply support for its products for
laptops - only desktop cards.

I've had a look on Acer's UK support web site and can't see any problems
reported or any indication that they have patches for the graphics drivers.
I will download and install the driver from the website (in case it has
changed - hard to tell as there doesn't appear to be any sort of change
history or even a last changed date for any of the driver entries on the
site), but haven't done this yet.

Rob

Old May 14th 04, 12:11 AM
Zorglub

Take care...

First of all, ask ATI if the generics' drivers for there desktops' cards are
suitable for integrated chip in ACER laptops ???
This is not an evidency... (ex : Nvidia 2Go for laptops doesn't support
genirics' Nvidia drivers ... )
If not, XP will hangup, and you'll have great troubles to go back ( but
possible... )

Regards

Claude ( Fr )
( French = Poor English ... Sorry )

Old May 16th 04, 12:26 PM
Lunch

I have downloaded and installed the driver from the Acer website. The
version number reported is the same as it was before the install, so I
already had the latest driver installed or the driver on the Acer web site
hasn't been updated since I bought the laptop (over a year ago). However,
the install has reset some of the graphics settings, which I must have
changed at some point. They were all set at the end of the sliders that are
marked 'performance'. They are now mid-way between 'performance' and
'quality'. And the graphics problem I was seeing has gone. So the problem
was my own fault - I shouldn't have messed with those settings and then
forgot that I had done it.

Rob