Which mfr makes the very best nVidia based cards?

Old January 27th 05, 08:29 AM
Friendly Guru

Default Which mfr makes the very best nVidia based cards?

"Fleabus" wrote in message
news
Timely, bug-free driver support, cool and quiet is important.
I don't mind paying for performance, reliability and features.
Who turns out the best of the 6800Ultra cards?

eVga, BFG, Asus three choices, each comperable, NewEgg or GameVE won't let
you down.

Also, be advised, and ultra needs two slots, two molex connectors and robust
interior case thermal management. Unless you pick up a device to exhaust the
air out rather than in. (um...exciting... to install, but worth the task.)

Also, since you are throwing money around, why not PCI-E, just a thought...

Old January 27th 05, 01:05 PM
Iain Dingsdale

"Friendly Guru" wrote in message

"Fleabus" wrote in message
news
Timely, bug-free driver support, cool and quiet is important.
I don't mind paying for performance, reliability and features.
Who turns out the best of the 6800Ultra cards?

eVga, BFG, Asus three choices, each comperable, NewEgg or GameVE won't let
you down.

Most manufacturers (well, almost all) will use the reference board design
and a lot will use reference coolers. So other than a different coloured PCB
and a software bundle there wont be much to choose from. FWIW this side of
the pond, BFG are considered one of the worst in many circles - partly
because the cooling solution seems to be completely terrible - 2 little
screaming fans on a very thin heatsink.
I doubt anyone here can speak from experience of every manufacturer but I
eventually decided on a 6800GT from leadtek and im very happy with it. The
heatsink is absolutely massive, the software bundle was pretty good and it
overclocks very well.

Also, be advised, and ultra needs two slots, two molex connectors and
robust
interior case thermal management. Unless you pick up a device to exhaust
the
air out rather than in. (um...exciting... to install, but worth the task.)

a case fan?

Old January 27th 05, 05:12 PM
Friendly Guru

"Iain Dingsdale" wrote in message

I doubt anyone here can speak from experience of every manufacturer but I
eventually decided on a 6800GT from leadtek and im very happy with it. The
heatsink is absolutely massive, the software bundle was pretty good and it
overclocks very well.

Also, be advised, and ultra needs two slots, two molex connectors and
robust
interior case thermal management. Unless you pick up a device to exhaust
the
air out rather than in. (um...exciting... to install, but worth the

task.)

a case fan?

Actually, I was thinking about the Arctic Cooling NV5, it's a useful device
and it functions as a powered air duct for the GPU HSF.

Old January 28th 05, 12:18 AM
Iain Dingsdale

"John McCoy" johnm160athotmail.com wrote in message
I have a 6800 GT from BFG and really like it. No problems and it runs well.

John

the problem with the bfg cards here is the heatsink which look like this:
http://www.bfgtech.com/images/6800GTOC_product_06.jpg
and over the pond, look like this:
http://www.hothardware.com/articleim...card_front.JPG

correct me if im wrong. apparently the first one is noisy and inneficient

Old January 28th 05, 01:38 AM
Dave Zass

I have a 6800 GT from BFG and really like it. No problems and it runs
well.

I love mine too. BFG 6800 GT OC. Just got it today.

the problem with the bfg cards here is the heatsink which look like this:
http://www.bfgtech.com/images/6800GTOC_product_06.jpg
and over the pond, look like this:
http://www.hothardware.com/articleim...card_front.JPG

correct me if im wrong. apparently the first one is noisy and inneficient

I'm not sure what side of the pond you are on, but I have the second one and
I live in the US. My card is not noisy, not to me anyway. It's idling at
49C and was at 60C after 2 hrs of Far Cry and Doom 3 maxed out.

So far, so good. Using 67.66's.

Old January 28th 05, 03:24 AM
Freedom55

Dave Zass wrote:
I have a 6800 GT from BFG and really like it. No problems and it runs
well.

I love mine too. BFG 6800 GT OC. Just got it today.

the problem with the bfg cards here is the heatsink which look like this:
http://www.bfgtech.com/images/6800GTOC_product_06.jpg
and over the pond, look like this:
http://www.hothardware.com/articleim...card_front.JPG

correct me if im wrong. apparently the first one is noisy and inneficient

I'm not sure what side of the pond you are on, but I have the second one and
I live in the US. My card is not noisy, not to me anyway. It's idling at
49C and was at 60C after 2 hrs of Far Cry and Doom 3 maxed out.

So far, so good. Using 67.66's.

Leadtek 6600GT PCIe was my choice. No regrets.

Ron
Old January 28th 05, 03:28 AM
edde

"Freedom55" "joinertake this wrote in message
Dave Zass wrote:

Leadtek 6600GT PCIe was my choice. No regrets.

Ron

Ron, I got the same card, Leadtek 6600GT PCIe and I love it.
I've been an MSI buyer for years now, but I'm a stickler about 2d quality
too and I've read many places that Leadtek's cards usually offer the best 2d
quality. Perhaps it's my imagination, but the 2d seems sharper on this card
than my previous MSI cards (5900, 4800, etc).