Finally broke down...

Old January 25th 05, 06:47 AM
Dave Zass

Default Finally broke down...

and got a BFG 6800 GT OC. I kept looking at 6600 GT's, but I found a 6800
GT OC on eBay for only a little more than I planned on spending..........
so I threw my hat in the ring and won. I talked to the seller tonight, it
should be here Thursday morning.

I'm replacing a GF4 Ti4800SE. I think I'm supposed to use the Forceware
drivers. Any ideas on which ones or should I just get the latest? If I'm
already using 66.93's with my current card, can I just do a straight swap of
cards? Or do I need to uninstall the 66.93's, reboot with the new card and
install new drivers?

Thanks.

Old January 25th 05, 09:55 AM
Iain Dingsdale

"Dave Zass" wrote in message
and got a BFG 6800 GT OC. I kept looking at 6600 GT's, but I found a 6800
GT OC on eBay for only a little more than I planned on spending..........
so I threw my hat in the ring and won. I talked to the seller tonight, it
should be here Thursday morning.

I'm replacing a GF4 Ti4800SE. I think I'm supposed to use the Forceware
drivers. Any ideas on which ones or should I just get the latest? If I'm
already using 66.93's with my current card, can I just do a straight swap
of cards? Or do I need to uninstall the 66.93's, reboot with the new card
and install new drivers?

Download latest stable drivers, uninstall old ones, turn off, replace card,
turn on, install drivers

Thanks.

Old January 25th 05, 05:27 PM
rms

Download latest stable drivers, uninstall old ones, turn off, replace
card, turn on, install drivers

This is the safe procedure of course. But since nvidia uses 'unified
drivers' uninstallation shouldn't be necessary.

In any case, I'm using the 67.66 drivers (www.guru3d.com) and they seem
fine.

rms

Old January 25th 05, 05:59 PM
Dave Zass

In any case, I'm using the 67.66 drivers (www.guru3d.com) and they seem
fine.

I'll guess I'll end up searching for the "best driver" for this card. I
think it comes with 61.xx nvidia drivers. Based on a quick google and some
reading, it looks like I should either get the 66.xx or the new 71.20
Forceware. Based on some testing results I saw on my google run, I guess
which drivers you use really depends on which games you like to play and
your individual set up.

Old January 25th 05, 07:03 PM
Reckless

nVidia doesn't state that their installation routine doesn't do anything
specific per video card detected either Unified could mean 'packaged in
one big download which is sorted out on installation' or supply all files
(bloatware) and only use those that are needed by the system. I'd go with
the full uninstall/remove card/install latest drivers just to be sure

m...

Old January 25th 05, 08:38 PM
RonK

I use the 7125 drivers on my 6800 0c and they work great. You can get them
from:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=10

Old January 25th 05, 08:59 PM
RJT

rms wrote:
Download latest stable drivers, uninstall old ones, turn off, replace
card, turn on, install drivers

This is the safe procedure of course. But since nvidia uses 'unified
drivers' uninstallation shouldn't be necessary.

To avoid any problems, I'd still stick to the procedure mentioned above.
Old January 26th 05, 01:17 AM
Iain Dingsdale

"Reckless" wrote in message
nVidia doesn't state that their installation routine doesn't do anything
specific per video card detected either Unified could mean 'packaged in
one big download which is sorted out on installation' or supply all files
(bloatware) and only use those that are needed by the system. I'd go with
the full uninstall/remove card/install latest drivers just to be sure

Do, i had no end of problems with me 6800gt when i upgraded from a 5700le
and assumed the same drivers would be fine. crashes aplenty and crappy
performance. Put the 5700le back in and did the safe procedure, works like a
dream now

m...

Old January 27th 05, 01:56 AM
Friendly Guru

"Dave Zass" wrote in message
and got a BFG 6800 GT OC. I kept looking at 6600 GT's, but I found a 6800
GT OC on eBay for only a little more than I planned on spending..........
so I threw my hat in the ring and won. I talked to the seller tonight, it
should be here Thursday morning.

You lambast me for supporting eBay, and you went ahead and bought a 6800GT
on eBay? There is literally no one on this planet I do not hate, right this
very second.

Okie, I'm over it. I'm curious as to how well it will OC, I can get
400/1100 with no rise in load temperature over stock speed with stock
cooler, a free oc, as it were.

Have a honkin' PSU?

Old January 27th 05, 02:31 AM
Dave Zass

You lambast me for supporting eBay, and you went ahead and bought a 6800GT
on eBay? There is literally no one on this planet I do not hate, right
this
very second.

Dude, I don't understand you at all. I NEVER lambasted you for supporting
eBay. I made a post about people paying more for 6600 GT's through auctions
on eBay than they would had they paid a fixed price elsewhere online. What
part of that still confuses you?

Okie, I'm over it. I'm curious as to how well it will OC, I can get
400/1100 with no rise in load temperature over stock speed with stock
cooler, a free oc, as it were.

I'm hoping for 420-430/1100-1150 range.

Have a honkin' PSU?

420W. Should be fine.