Suddenly no DVD decoder :-(

Old January 25th 05, 12:48 AM
Reckless

Default Suddenly no DVD decoder :-(

Some video cards come with DVD player software, some DVDs come with
appropriate software! Can you not remember what either came with? PowerDVD,
WinDVD, nvDVD or something else?

"Lars-Erik Østerud" .@. wrote in message
Today I upgraded my Plextor DVD writers firware (and it got discovered
as a new device) AND last week I upgraded my Nvidia video drivers from
44.03 to 61.77. Everything seems to function OK.

BUT today I wanted to play a DVD on my system, using Microsoft Media
Player 10, somthing that worked last time I tried (week ago).

But today I only get a message that there is no DVD decoder on my
system!?!?!?!?!? Is this due to the firmware update, to the video
driver update or what? It can't just disappear from my system?

Since MS says the DVD decoder software is not a part of Windows, where
did I get it from originally (with the DVD drive or the video-driver)?

BTW: Inside applications like DVD-Shrink the video is viewable :-/

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Old January 25th 05, 07:31 AM
!bungle

[...]

As happy(lucky?) as I've been with my BFG6600GT, the NVDVD situation really
annoys me. I was an ATI guy for a long time and I never had that crap pulled
on me.
I don't think it's too much too ask that my $250 video card comes with a
full-featured DVD player application.

Especially since the only thing BFG does wrong(IMHO) is not giving any
extras with the card. No game demos, just a few of the Nvidia graphics
demos.

!bungle

Windows XP SP2
DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb
w/stock BIOS 9/14
AMD64 3200+ Newcastle CG
2X512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200
BFG GeForce 6600GT OC AGP 8X w/128MB DDR3
w/ForceWare 71.25
2X60GB Maxtor SATA HD RAID
Artec DVD/CDRW 52X
Ultra ULT-31646 500W w/CPS
CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Aircooled
Envision EFT920
Saitek Gamers KB
Logitech MX510
Logitech X-230
NO OVERCLOCKING (except BFG factory OC Videocard)

Old January 25th 05, 08:00 PM
First of One

1. Stay away from Windows Media Player 10
2. Uninstall any other bloated DVD player software.
3. Uninstall any other crap like Quicktime or RealOne
4. Uninstall DivX

5. Download the *free* KazaaLite Mega Codec Pack, which includes Media
Player Classic and every codec you'll ever need (MPEG2, DivX, Quicktime,
Real...). It plays DVDs and VCDs, too. The player even uses DirectX9 to
render subtitles, if applicable.

Old January 26th 05, 12:14 AM
!bungle

"First of One" wrote in message
[...]

Is it adware free?

Kazaa kinda became a dirty word to me a while back...

Old January 26th 05, 05:45 AM
First of One

It's just a codec pack and a no-nonsense media player, adware-free, and with
non of the DRM restrictions that plaque the other "official" media players.

BTW, KazaaLite is Kazaa with all the unwanted crap stripped out of it. In
any case, the codec pack has no real affiliation with Kazaa, just by name.

Old January 27th 05, 02:20 AM
!bungle

"First of One" wrote in message
It's just a codec pack and a no-nonsense media player, adware-free, and
with
non of the DRM restrictions that plaque the other "official" media
players.

BTW, KazaaLite is Kazaa with all the unwanted crap stripped out of it. In
any case, the codec pack has no real affiliation with Kazaa, just by name.

Thanks for that reply- I'll check it out.

I wanted to gripe about something else that really ****ed me off- but I
can't remember the name of the player... it seemed that everything I was
renting was trying to install and use a player that I personally did not
care for. I was having a hell of a time getting stuff to play with my other
software during this, too.

I finally managed to get it to go away, but I still have to close that damn
window that pops up on some rentals.

(hell, I don't know if the problem is confined to rentals or not- I just
don't recall seeing it on a disc that I own...)

!bungle

Old January 27th 05, 09:22 AM
Andrew Bailey

I hear ya,

Luckily I found out that WMP10 doesn't come with DVD functionality on
someone elses pc. You now gotta buy the DVD part as a plug-in.

Andy

Old January 28th 05, 07:54 PM
pjp

"!bungle" wrote in message

[...]

Think you're just getting the Autoplay feature on the cd working asking to
install "Interact's" (think that's the name) DVD player. I've always just
assumed it's put on the dvd so novice pc owners don't have to wonder "how do
I watch this" if they just put the dvd in their drive.

It's no problem to simply cancel the install and use your own player
(WinDVD, PowerDVD or whatever) instead. If that's not enough, just hold
down the "Shift" key (maybe Ctrl instead?) so Window's Autioplay feature
doesn't kick in when you put the dvd in.

!bungle

Old January 29th 05, 01:55 AM
!bungle

"pjp" wrote in message

"!bungle" wrote in message

snipped

[...]

doh!

(I recently did a clean install of XP SP2 and never set "Autoplay" to "off",
which is the way I've always set it in the past)

makes sense..... and yeah, it was "Interactual" or somethin' similar.

thnx again,

!bungle