6600GT OR 6800GT???

Old January 21st 05, 07:31 PM
snowblind

Default 6600GT OR 6800GT???

hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
help this old man!!!....system is as follows

P4 2.4
ASUS P4S8X
1GB Corsair 2700
MSI Ti42008X
400W PS
Old January 21st 05, 07:53 PM
Fat Freddy's Cat

snowblind wrote:
hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
help this old man!!!....system is as follows

Aeolus 6600gt was a crock of ****. Couldn't get it to work despite all
the 'fixes' I read here and on the web.
XFX 6600gt worked straight out the box and is even sitting here
overclocked quite happily.

g.
Old January 21st 05, 08:47 PM
Big Bird

snowblind wrote:
hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
help this old man!!!....system is as follows

P4 2.4
ASUS P4S8X
1GB Corsair 2700
MSI Ti42008X
400W PS

6800GT of course !!!
Mhz is no substitute for pipelines....

Old January 21st 05, 08:53 PM
sp

i would highly recommend MSI or leadtek both are real good companies. I had
the leadtek 5900xt and it was a good performer but i upgreaded to a 6800GT
by MSI. a 6600GT is not bad but if u want performance a 6800GT is much
better bet if ur rig can handle it. my rig is a P4 2.8GHz and i get 53,000
in aquamark. 10,000 in 3dmark03 and 5000 in 05. thats with 512MB DDR400
RAM in case ur wondering.

hope this info helps

sp

Old January 21st 05, 09:57 PM
Iain Dingsdale

"snowblind" wrote in message
hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
help this old man!!!....system is as follows

whats your current monitor?

P4 2.4
ASUS P4S8X
1GB Corsair 2700
MSI Ti42008X
400W PS

Old January 21st 05, 10:47 PM

snowblind wrote:
hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
help this old man!!!....system is as follows

P4 2.4
ASUS P4S8X
1GB Corsair 2700
MSI Ti42008X
400W PS

The key here is that you are only running a 2.4 P4 pentium so if I were
you and you were not going to upgrade the processor soon go with the
6600 GT and get your monitor. A processor upgrade is next on your goodie
list. You did not say what your dream monitor is but if you are looking
for a TFT monitor then make sure the speed is 16ms or faster like 12 ms.

regards

Old January 22nd 05, 08:56 AM
Alex

"snowblind" wrote in message ...
hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
help this old man!!!....system is as follows

P4 2.4
ASUS P4S8X
1GB Corsair 2700
MSI Ti42008X
400W PS
What is your dream monitor? A LCD one or a CRT one?

Old January 22nd 05, 10:16 AM
Richard Cavell

On 22/1/05 6:31 AM, snowblind wrote:
hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
help this old man!!!....system is as follows

Mate,

Having a nice monitor is underestimated. When you've used a big
monitor, every other monitor looks inadequate. It makes a huge
difference to ordinary windows work, and of course if you're doing video
editing, high-end gaming or something else that requires definition,
you'll be grateful for it. I'd go with a nice monitor before the video
card. The monitor will also last you a lot longer than the card. They
will never become obsolete. (Until we get 3D displays).
Old January 22nd 05, 03:03 PM
Eric

My MSI 6600GT works great out of the box. As long as you don't have some
weird cheapo chipset for your mobo (like SIS) -- you should be fine.

Old January 22nd 05, 04:02 PM
snowblind

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:03:28 -0500, "Eric" wrote:

My MSI 6600GT works great out of the box. As long as you don't have some
weird cheapo chipset for your mobo (like SIS) -- you should be fine.

"snowblind" wrote in message
.. .
hi folks...been "lurking" in here for a while.. im just days away
from getting a new card.... i would really love to get a new 6600GT
because the price would also allow me to get a new 19" monitor but
after reading in here im a lil scared.....are people having alot of
trouble with these?...such as drivers and what not...are some just
crap right out of the box?...was leaning towards MSI or LEADTEK...i
can afford the 6800GT...but would lose my dream monitor.....please
help this old man!!!....system is as follows

P4 2.4
ASUS P4S8X
1GB Corsair 2700
MSI Ti42008X
400W PS

o great my mobo is SIS chipset.....does this mean im screwed?....(sigh)