Video driver crash at end sequence of Half-Life 2 (could be spoiler?)

Old January 17th 05, 03:43 PM
Spencer

Default Video driver crash at end sequence of Half-Life 2 (could be spoiler?)

I finished Half-Life2 with no problems on a Ti4200 running 44.03
(But it won't run at all on my BFG6600GT OC!)

You haven't missed anything, the ending is the worst anti-climax I have ever
seen in any game. When G-man finishes speaking the titles roll...end
(The silliest ending ever is in Broken Sword 3, The Dragon and George, get
it?
Bet you didn't see that coming did you?)

--
Regards
Spencer

http://mysite.freeserve.com/PoserWarehouse/index.html
http://mysite.freeserve.com/anaglyph...use/index.html
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cartoonwarehouse/index.html

"Lars-Erik Østerud" .@. wrote in message
Iain Dingsdale skrev:

Grrr... Just as the G-man is talking to me at the end sequence my Xp
crashes with a serious error (windows is sjut down to prevent....) in
the video driver (nvdisp-something). Anyone know what is happening
(is there anything nice left to see by this point, anyone :-)

Update your driver and find out

Anyone with Nvidia 44.03 driver that get this ending to work.

Or anyone with 45.23 drivers. Drivers above that gives poor
performance on Ti-4200 so I'd really not like having to change.

Or anyone knowing what driver I need for this to work that works best
with the Ti-4200 without to much performace loss (strange, no crashes
anywere else in the game or in any other HL-series games at all)?

The error I get (just as the G-man is finished speaking and the screen
goes b/w and then very bright) is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and the
drivers causing the crash is NV4_DISP.DLL (yes, that IS the video)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Old January 18th 05, 12:09 AM
DaveL

Makes sense to me. If you had also benched with 3dMark05, 66.93 probably
would have been the fastest. HL2 just came out two months ago. So take a
guess what benchmark is more relevant? That's right 3dMark05.

DaveL

"Lars-Erik Østerud" .@. wrote in message
OK, did a bit of testing on my Ti-4200 and here are the results:

3dMark 2000 3dMark 2001 3dMark 03 Remark
44.03 12182 11082 1473 1)
45.23 12056 10472 1456
61.77 11467 10013 1596 2)
66.93 11309 9845 1593 3)

First comment must be that it's strange how newer drivers are slower
and slower with 3dMark 2000 and 2001, but faster with 2003 ?????????

What is most important/relevant for games like Quake2, Half-Life,
Half-Life 2, Need for Speed (alle version)? The 2000/2001 or 2003?

1) 44.03 stutters like hell on the end sequence in Half-Life 2
The other drivers all did this very well (45.23 smoothest).
Maybe the others have less stuttering inside HL2 as well?
But this driver is still the fastest in 3dMark 2000/2001.

2) 61.77 rendered the "point sprite" (the horse) in 3dmark 2001
completly wrong. It got transparent and did NOT look good :-(
Still (or maybe because of) it the fastest in 3dMark 2003.

3) 66.93 has a very nice funtion making it possible to set both
quality settings and brightness/gamma/color for each game.
No need for PowerStrip anymore (some things work even better,
like 2xQ AA with HL2, not possible with HL2 or PowerStrip
settings, but when set inside 66.93 it works very very well).
But the 66.93 was also very much slower in 3dMark 2001 :-(

Old January 18th 05, 12:22 AM
N´far

"Lars-Erik Østerud" .@. skrev i en meddelelse
OK, did a bit of testing on my Ti-4200 and here are the results:

3dMark 2000 3dMark 2001 3dMark 03 Remark
44.03 12182 11082 1473 1)
45.23 12056 10472 1456
61.77 11467 10013 1596 2)
66.93 11309 9845 1593 3)

First comment must be that it's strange how newer drivers are slower
and slower with 3dMark 2000 and 2001, but faster with 2003 ?????????

They probably don´t optimize for 01 anymore as it´s getting old.

Old January 18th 05, 01:43 AM
McGrandpa

"Lars-Erik Østerud"
snip

3) 66.93 has a very nice funtion making it possible to set both
quality settings and brightness/gamma/color for each game.
No need for PowerStrip anymore (some things work even better,
like 2xQ AA with HL2, not possible with HL2 or PowerStrip
settings, but when set inside 66.93 it works very very well).
But the 66.93 was also very much slower in 3dMark 2001 :-(

Um, isn't 3DMark2003 DX8 and 3DMark2005 DX9? I think I'd pay more
attention to the '03 scores. That version would have more relevance to
todays games.
McG.

Old January 18th 05, 03:15 AM
McGrandpa

McGrandpa skrev:

Um, isn't 3DMark2003 DX8 and 3DMark2005 DX9? I think I'd pay more
attention to the '03 scores. That version would have more
relevance to

Tried 05 too, but that doesn't work on any driver :-(
Just a message about not beeing able to call some function

That's a bit bad, that the Nvidia drivers doesn't trap that
function. If any games use that - well - GeForce4 won't work

All of em I have (3DM2001, 2003, 2005) work fully with my Ti4600. Not
sure which batch of drivers I've used with it and XP in the last three
years since I got it This card and the Radeon 8500 have been the
best damn vid cards I've ever owned. They just keep on truckin!
I'll ressurrect the FX5900 with a new cooling kit. I think. The 6800
looks as solid as the 4600 so far. I've never used a 4200 though.
Just thought I'd let ya know the 4600 completed all the 3DMark 2001, 3,
and 5 tests under the nvidia driver sets 61.77, 66.93 and 67.02 with no
problems. I haven't installed the 67.03 set yet and have the 6800 in
now anyway.
Good luck!
McG.

Old January 18th 05, 05:24 AM
GFree

"Lars-Erik Østerud" .@. wrote in message
I'm not sure if I get the whole part of his speach. The last thing
that happends is that while he is speaking colors change to black &
white, when the screen gets brighter and brighter, alomost white,
crash... I guess something happends after that, or is the "end
titles" black text on a completly white background... Or :-)

I can't tell if you've fixed your problem yet or not, but I had the EXACT
same problem as you're having, with the screen turning white and my computer
deciding to reboot itself each and every time at that point,

I was running some older 4x.xx drivers because I have the same Ti 4200 you
have, so I upgraded to a 6x.xx version driver. It's slightly slower, but it
fixed the problem and also fixed some other issues I had in other games. I
prefer stability to frame rates anyday.

Old January 19th 05, 01:46 AM
CriticalMass

Spencer wrote:
I finished Half-Life2 with no problems on a Ti4200 running 44.03
(But it won't run at all on my BFG6600GT OC!)

You haven't missed anything, the ending is the worst anti-climax I have ever
seen in any game. When G-man finishes speaking the titles roll...end

That's the most bizarre statement I've heard in quite a while.

The HL2 ending *for me* was very different. Took me a bunch of tries
just to get through it. Major battle with a couple of those fighter
ships (whatever they're called) and then had to shoot a BUNCH of energy
balls at the power generation plant to blow it up. GLORIOUS ENDING !
And quite exciting.

Anti-climax? Nah.

Old January 19th 05, 09:38 AM
Spencer

I agree that the shoot-up was very good, difficult and exciting, I was
referring to the rambling speech by g-man that comes after that (as referred
to in Lars-Eriks original post) followed by the titles.