Graphics card going?

Old January 15th 05, 10:37 AM
stahoo

Default Graphics card going?

Computer with XP reboots when starting all older games
except Unreal II which runs ok. Even old golf games reboot.
Word perfect, Photoshop, and all graphic programs ok.
Nothing else wrong, everything works great.
Do you think it's the graphic card?
Thought I would get a opinion here before buying new card.
Thanks

--
"Remove The X"
Old January 15th 05, 10:53 AM
jo

I had in the past lot's of rebooting too in games that was caused by bad
memory;only in games

If you want to check your drivers use dxdiag.exe (you have to search for it
in windows)there you can check your videocard
"stahoo" schreef in bericht
.. .

Old January 16th 05, 06:53 AM
Ryan J. Paque

jo wrote:

Wait not so fast, i looked at dxdiag and i think it could be something else
because it reboots only in full screen it could be something else like the
powersupply because in full screen the card has to work harderin the dxdiag
test.I want to know what kind of videocard you have and when the problems
started?

I had the same problem... turned out to be my CPU was bad. But it
only failed under load, which of course only happened while running DX
intensive stuff.

Ryan
Old January 16th 05, 10:24 AM
stahoo

"Ryan J. Paque" wrote in
:

jo wrote:

Wait not so fast, i looked at dxdiag and i think it could be something
else because it reboots only in full screen it could be something else
like the powersupply because in full screen the card has to work
harderin the dxdiag test.I want to know what kind of videocard you have
and when the problems started?

I had the same problem... turned out to be my CPU was bad. But it
only failed under load, which of course only happened while running DX
intensive stuff.

Ryan

card is nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X, not a power house.
Don't know when it started, just found out when my grandson wanted to play
Half life, Unreal or Golf.
OK, let me get this right, could be the memory, graphics card, cpu, power
supply. Guess I need a new coputer.
Why does it work ok with Unreal II but no other game?
What does Unreal II don't use that the others do use and cause
the reboot.
Stan

--
"Remove The X"
Old January 16th 05, 01:27 PM
jo

I don't think it's the powersupply, this card is not so power hungry,what
you can try is turn off agp 8x in the bios.

I don't think you have to buy a new computer, if you have the time just
format and install a fresh windows, i think your system is messed up with
bad drivers/programs and so on.

for the rest:
if it is the memory just use one memory module at a time

check your harddisk for errors but also for surface errors(bad sectors)

disable hardware acceleration for your videocard

I know that we confuse you but these are just tricks to pinpoint the problem
memory/videocard/harddisk
to test the processor you will need a burn in program, this program can
stress out a selected component, i think rendering video is one option to
stress out your processor.

maybe someone else has tips to stress the cpu?

ok for now and let us know what you found or tryed!!

john

"stahoo" schreef in bericht
.. .
"Ryan J. Paque" wrote in
:

Old January 16th 05, 04:10 PM
Wookie

Have you thought about reinstalling the latest Direct X and then the video
drivers before assuming it's HW.