Help with crashing Geforce 5200

Old November 13th 04, 04:13 PM
Lee Moore

Default Help with crashing Geforce 5200

I have recently upgraded a PC to make it a better gaming machine. This
included installing 80GB HD (from 15GB), Sound Card, another 512MB DDR
Ram (1024 total on 2 chips) and GeForce Nvidia 5200 graphics card.

OS is Windows ME.

Card was last to go in, all others were working perfectly. No problems
running 3D game.

I removed current graphics card driver before installing, updated
Motherboard drivers (Via) and then installed card as per manufacturers
guide lines.

Went into 3D game (Planetside - On-line multiplayer 1st person
shooter) and within 3 mins it crashed to desk top.

So - removed drivers and card and reverted back to original card that
was working. That now crashes too!

I have looked at dxdiag. All ok. All drivers up to date. BIOS seems
set correctly for cards. Tried setting BIOS at card RAM size 128 and
half RAM size 64 but with no effect.

4 evenings of non stop trying and I'm at the end of my tether.

The card is sharing IRQ 11 with modem. Disabled modem - no effect
(dont use it anyway, use ethernet with broadband).

I would really appreciate any other solutions offered, I'll try
anyhting but please help me get back on planetside, I cant live
without it!!!

Lee Moore
Aged 34 (greying and going on 50 with stress)

Old November 13th 04, 11:07 PM
YanquiDawg

Might be a ram problem.Check for special settings for WinMe and 1GB ram. I know
W98 needs a teak or two to utilise more than 512.

Old November 14th 04, 10:13 AM
Lee Moore

Problem must have been ME.

Got XP pro to uprage to. Like magic, the problem just disappeared.

Doh!

Old November 20th 04, 05:01 PM
Tj

That is what I would have recommended. Me sucks