GF4 ti 4200 - overclocking potential

Old November 7th 04, 07:49 AM
Falcon Freak

Default GF4 ti 4200 - overclocking potential

Hello,

I have a Leadtek Winfast A250 LE TD (64Meg memory). Is there anyway to
overclock this card? If so where can I get info which details the do's and
don'ts for overclocking cards?

Thanks in adavance to all who respond.

FF

Old November 7th 04, 09:26 AM
PRIVATE1964

Hello,

I have a Leadtek Winfast A250 LE TD (64Meg memory). Is there anyway to
overclock this card? If so where can I get info which details the do's and
don'ts for overclocking cards?

Thanks in adavance to all who respond.

FF

You can overclock every 4200, the real question is by how much because every
card is different.

You first need to have coolbits installed which you can get here;

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/1/12-1-31.shtml

After you installed coolbits there will now be a clock frequency tab in your
video card display controls.

I would also download and install 3Dmark2001.

Some 4200's have different memory speeds it depends on the model so I can't
give you a starting default speed for the memory on your video card. If you
look under the clock frequency tab it will give you the default speeds of the
memory and core for your video card. The core is probably running at 250 and
the memory probably close to 500.

Once you have the starting points the whole idea is to raise the speed of the
memory and the core as high as you can, but still have the video card run
stable. The faster you run the core and the memory the hotter they will both
get. If video card does not have good cooling you won't be able to overclock it
very high. Overclocking it will probably also shorten its life span, but by
that time you will have upgraded anyway.

I work on the core first, then the memory second. You might get better results
working with the memory first, but it won't be by much. If you do the memory
first though the core effects the memory more then the other way around. If you
raised the core as high as you could go, then raised the memory that won't
effect what you did with the core.

So you start raising the speed of the core around 10 points every time. Then
you test the card with 3DMark2001. If the core gets too high it will show when
you run 3DMark2001. You only need to run the first car chase test for now. If
the core is set too high your video card will cause your computer to lock up or
you will see graphical glitches in the test. So keep raising the number until
you see a problem with the test. The minute you see a problem lower the number
by 10 and that should be it for the core.

Now you do the same thing with the memory, but I only use the spinning horse
test (point sprites) in 3Dmark200. The memory is set too high the minuet you
see small flashing specks or boxes anywhere on the screen while you run the
test. Lower it by 10 and that will be your overclocked memory speed.

The reason you lower both by 10 is for those days that might be hot, or you are
giving your video card a good workout and so you don't over stress the card too
much.

After I get the memory and core set up for overclocking I usually loop the
first four tests in 3DMark 2001 overnight. If I wake up and it is still running
then the card is running pretty stable. If you play a game and it locks up it
might mean the core is still set a little bit too high. In that case I would
lower the core back down to default and test the game. If it still locks up its
not the overclock, if it doesn't then I would lower the core overclock a little
bit more like maybe 5 points.

Old November 7th 04, 10:42 AM
Falcon Freak

"PRIVATE1964" wrote in message

[...]

Wow - fantastic response! Give me some time to play around with the above
info you supplied.

Many thanks!

Old November 7th 04, 11:31 AM
PRIVATE1964

Wow - fantastic response! Give me some time to play around with the above
info you supplied.

Many thanks!

Your welcome.

My 4200 runs stable at 325 core / 650 memory. It is an Albatron turbo which
didn't follow the usual specs for the 4200 so the memory on it runs at a faster
default of 550 for memory instead of 500. I'm not sure what the default memory
speed is for your card I think it is slightly over 500.
The core of the 4200 is usually limited to around 330 max unless you have some
unreal cooling setup. Memory is tough to call. It depends on the speed of the
chips, the brand and the cooling.

Good Luck!
Old November 10th 04, 03:41 PM
Vinicio Ascone

I was thinking about overclock my 4200 also, so this tread was really cool!

But I'm afraid the heat can damage my card, how do you control the heat? I
mean, if I obtain a stable card (core/memory), may I assume it's everything
ok?

Old November 10th 04, 07:02 PM
PRIVATE1964

I was thinking about overclock my 4200 also, so this tread was really cool!

But I'm afraid the heat can damage my card, how do you control the heat? I
mean, if I obtain a stable card (core/memory), may I assume it's everything
ok?

Yes, If the card is running stable then that also means the card is being
cooled well enough. That does not mean the card will be cooled enough though on
future hot summer days, or when the filters on your case start to get clogged
with dust...etc. So once you find the highest settings that you start to see
problems at then I would lower the settings by 10 so you have some tolerance
for future events such as very hot days.

If you set up the overclocking on a very hot day then the card might only need
5 points lower on the core and memory.

Then you test it out with some actual games. If you notice lock ups then test
it out but lowering the core down to default. If the lock ups are still there
then its not from the overclock. If you detect artifacts, flashing
pixels...same thing test it out. Sooner or later your gonna find the highest
values that give you no problems. If you follow what I posted already by using
3DMark2001 point sprites test for memory and the car chase for the core, you
shouldn't see any problems in any games. The minute I see the smallest defect
running the point sprites test I know the memory is set too high. I also use
the UT2003 Demo which also seems to detect the memory and core as being set too
high pretty well. If you use 3DMark2001 and UT2003 Demo combined to test with
you should not have any trouble in any other games.
Old November 11th 04, 10:29 AM
TJM

Great guide!

My Asus ti4200 went from:

260/446 (core/mem) - 310/590 (core/mem).
8613 3DMark2001 - 9818 3DMark2001

/TJM

Old November 11th 04, 09:58 PM
Vinicio Ascone

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your answer!

I will try it this week end! talk you later!

Old November 11th 04, 11:05 PM
PRIVATE1964

Great guide!

My Asus ti4200 went from:

260/446 (core/mem) - 310/590 (core/mem).
8613 3DMark2001 - 9818 3DMark2001

That's a good improvement, but I'm wondering why your default memory speed is
so low though. I don't think there were any 4200's with a default memory lower
then 500. The overclock you have is reasonable. You might be able to get both
the core and memory higher with better cooling, but it wouldn't be worth the
time and expense IMO.
Old November 11th 04, 11:07 PM
PRIVATE1964

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your answer!

I will try it this week end! talk you later!

Your welcome, let me know how you make out.